Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

On 24/10/2020 at 00:45, Rino8 said:

He didn't get the support, he was anonymous.

I've seen a ton of him at Brentford the biggest part of his game is having runners around him. I'm assuming Barkleys no show was the main reason but the best part of his game is bringing others into it. With nobody to work off he really struggles.

Spot on mate 

• Like 1

On 24/10/2020 at 02:42, pete101 said:

I feel like a spoilt brat writing this we have 12 ponts in 5 games with him up top but gonna say it , he has scored in 1 game out of 5 

I'm sick of being a villa fan that says oh but he works hard .

It feels along time since the season angel scored all them goals ( I can't include Tammy in championship , no just no )

I'm a great believer in teams score goals, strikers are just the last man to finish things off.....yes they are finishers.

you can keep buying strikers, but the approach play has be right too.

Ollie was in the right place when Jack went on his run and would have most likely scored, however jack was in the ascendency with adrenaline fuelled, I fancied him to score on another night he would.....it happens.

However, Ollie is not an out and out Target man like Calvert-Lewin or Mitrovic.....our poor night was probably looking for Davis to hold the ball up, as our midfield was beaten....I think we should have changed it, but it may have been too late anyway our chins had dropped.

Working hard is crucial....Leeds and Southampton have just illustrated that, but you are right, other things like Nous and good decision making is key too.

1 hour ago, tinker said:

With this in mind it would be interesting to see how he played with Davies , maybe a change of formation against Southampton .

I don't think Dean thinks the midfield is strong enough to play with 2 up front.....is why he plays with one.

I think players need someone to play off, so the wide men have to be quicker to support and they don't in every game.

Just now, TRO said:

I don't think Dean thinks the midfield is strong enough to play with 2 up front.....is why he plays with one.

I think players need someone to play off, so the wide men have to be quicker to support and they don't in every game.

I see your point but with Leeds specifically marking man to man, when they haven't got the ball,  it makes it very difficult to use the midfield to build an attack with shortish measured passes . I would be tempted to use a more direct route and use Davies to hold the ball up while Ollie and the midfield run past him. The game would then become more fluid  as Leeds wouldn't be able to man mark so easily and would have to try and run towards their own goal tracking our players runs. 

I'm not sure how Leeds have coped with these type of tactics before , maybe our visitors have seen it used against them? 

9 minutes ago, tinker said:

I see your point but with Leeds specifically marking man to man, when they haven't got the ball,  it makes it very difficult to use the midfield to build an attack with shortish measured passes . I would be tempted to use a more direct route and use Davies to hold the ball up while Ollie and the midfield run past him. The game would then become more fluid  as Leeds wouldn't be able to man mark so easily and would have to try and run towards their own goal tracking our players runs. 

I'm not sure how Leeds have coped with these type of tactics before , maybe our visitors have seen it used against them? 

I am glad you have said that, because i still think us losing out on most of our duels in that area was the start of the demise......its like the body punches received dropped the arms and the chin was wide open.

I have a particular notion that without the ball we are a far worse team than with it and as a consequence teams set out to deny us the ball......I think moving forward we need to bring in players who can offer us more when we haven't got it, readers and tacklers, players who can nick the ball in transition and start attacks, you need athletes in these positions who are sharp and quick and snappy.....McGinn does a bit, but not enough for me.

Edited by TRO

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am glad you have said that, because i still think us losing out on most of our duels in that area was the start of the demise......its like the body punches received dropped the arms and the chin was wide open.

It's the man to man marking that's the killer, it's simple to do in theory but hardly used. Ollie also had a hard job with Ayling, who's a very good player, strong and competitive. I just think Davies would have been harder for him to handle in the type of game we had against Leeds and more than likely not Southampton . Its early days for Ollie but we have a great player, we just have to find his strengths. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tinker said:

It's the man to man marking that's the killer, it's simple to do in theory but hardly used. Ollie also had a hard job with Ayling, who's a very good player, strong and competitive. I just think Davies would have been harder for him to handle in the type of game we had against Leeds and more than likely not Southampton . Its early days for Ollie but we have a great player, we just have to find his strengths. 

I agree.

You have to be very fit to play it.....I am not sure that is high enough on the priority list....I think we seem to be happy with a certain level of fitness and thats all.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree.

You have to be very fit to play it.....I am not sure that is high enough on the priority list....I think we seem to be happy with a certain level of fitness and thats all.

I totally agree on the fitness, if there was one area we were beaten in it was the will to run and run, I believe that most teams will get out run and out pressed by Leeds. But that does ask the question can we be fitter than we are. If Leeds can get to those levels then surely we can. 

• Like 1

I know something that very fit and it's certainly not our players compared to Watkins sweetheart.

Ellie Alderson, throw in ellie's  sister as well as the Edan sisters, throw Nicola Ibetson in and it's the start + making of a very fine yearly pinup calendar indeed. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/13024122/aston-villa-ollie-watkins-girlfriend-ellie-alderson/

Edited by Dave-R

15 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I know something that very fit and it's certainly not our players compared to Watkins sweetheart.

Ellie Alderson, throw in ellie's  sister as well as the Edan sisters, throw Nicola Ibetson in and it's the start + making of a very fine yearly pinup calendar indeed. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/13024122/aston-villa-ollie-watkins-girlfriend-ellie-alderson/

nice puppies half way down the article 

5 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

nice puppies half way down the article 

Yes they are very nice lol.

I'm really struggling at the moment in who I like best the Alderson or Eden sisters all four are just Gorgeous.

Watkins you were certainly worth 33 million 🤣

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo6cOy7nw4Y/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Edited by Dave-R

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Yes they are very nice lol.

I'm really struggling at the moment in who I like best the Alderson or Eden sisters all four are just Gorgeous.

Watkins you were certainly worth 33 million 🤣

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bo6cOy7nw4Y/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

you need a bucket of water thrown over you, to calm you down.

I guess, if he never scores again......he has there.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

you need a bucket of water thrown over you, to calm you down.

I guess, if he never scores again......he has there.

I dont think Water would do the job TRO.

I dont think I can be blamed for admiring beautiful, its in my blood to love the ladies 😉..They look like twins Ellie and her sister do.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

I’m not too worried about him not scoring as he’s having chances. I think after Leeds goal we’ve panicked. Our system seem to use strikers to get others into the game (which is fine as 7 of Son goals are assisted by Kane).

I just think that Smith needs to start using different players, we won’t go forward by keeping Trez every game. His workrate is great but offers little going forward. I’d have got Davis instead of Traore, and got Watkins on the wing. We need to start utilizing new ideas to the team. Hourihane, Nakamba, Traore, Davis, Ramsey, Guilbert and Engels, all have still some parts to play. If we’re closing a game we could get Cash upfront and get Elmo or Fred behind him.  Smith has to have the courage to start trying new things. What we’ve seen against Leeds is an alert that we’d be found out. Many of our players were knackered. 

Â