Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

17 minutes ago, Genie said:

He seems anonymous for large period which is worrying. The stats cloud his contribution in a way. 
In comparison to Keinan he seemed to have far more opportunities to score, but his finishing is awful. Watkins just seems to vanish. The crosses aren’t finding him and he’s not making things happen for himself either. 
This isn’t writing him off because he’s clearly a quality player. He and and his teammates just need to find a way to get the most out of his skill set.

I stopped reading when you said 'In comparison to Keinan'......I laughed and laughed and laughed! Thanks for cheering me up after that first half team display

I think he looks dangerous when he gets the ball around and in the box. The fact that our midfield was non-existant today isn't on him. 

Very much like Wesley ended up doing he went deep to get involved, but the difference to me is that he is much more mobile and you will find him in the box when we ever get there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I'm concerned about him but he absolutely contributes more than Wesley or Samatta usually did. 

My concern for him isn't to do with his ability.

It's to do with his confidence dropping due to not getting any sort of service or support, until he ends up becoming another " defensive striker ".

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I stopped reading when you said 'In comparison to Keinan'......I laughed and laughed and laughed! Thanks for cheering me up after that first half team display

Outrageous to compare our 2 strikers I know. Thanks for your contribution.

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

Outrageous to compare our 2 strikers I know. Thanks for your contribution.

But it’s pointless, one is a goal scoring quality striker and the other is an ineffective, injury prone player that has ‘striker’ linked next to his name because we haven’t figured out what to do with him on the pitch because it’s a waste him being upfront.  Like comparing Nyland (before he left) to EMI/Heaton or Lansbury to Grealish/Barkley....you’re comparing extremely different levels of quality.

Just now, nick76 said:

But it’s pointless, one is a goal scoring quality striker and the other is an ineffective, injury prone player that has ‘striker’ linked next to his name because we haven’t figured out what to do with him on the pitch because it’s a waste him being upfront.  Like comparing Nyland (before he left) to EMI/Heaton or Lansbury to Grealish/Barkley....you’re comparing extremely different levels of quality.

It was not suggesting that Keinan was better, I don’t think any sane person would say that. Keinan regularly got on the end of crosses and into shooting positions (and fluffed the lot) but Watkins for whatever reason isn’t. Trez is also finding his way into regular goal scoring positions but again, Watkins isn’t. Same for Jack. Ross had a couple of shots from the edge of the box today, even Douglas Luis did.

The question really needs to be, why isn’t Watkins getting into goal scoring positions? Are we using him incorrectly?

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

It was not suggesting that Keinan was better, I don’t think any sane person would say that. Keinan regularly got on the end of crosses and into shooting positions (and fluffed the lot) but Watkins for whatever reason isn’t. Trez is also finding his way into regular goal scoring positions but again, Watkins isn’t. Same for Jack. Ross had a couple of shots from the edge of the box today, even Douglas Luis did.

The question really needs to be, why isn’t Watkins getting into goal scoring positions? Are we using him incorrectly?

I think we just don’t play to a central striker’s advantage, we didn’t for Wes hence why he came deep so often to get involved and now the same for Watkins.  How often do we slip a central ball in like Shaqiri did for Liverpool yesterday or how many times does a cross come in low in front of the keeper for a striker to slide onto.  We just don’t do that hence our central strikers struggle.  That’s my opinion anyway, we just don’t provide the service both our main strikers need.

Edited by nick76

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I think we just don’t play to a central striker’s advantage, we didn’t for Wes hence why he came deep so often to get involved and now the same for Watkins.  How often do we slip a central ball in like Shaqiri do for Liverpool yesterday or how many times does a cross come in low in front of the keeper for a striker to slide onto.  We just don’t do that hence our central strikers struggle.  That’s my opinion anyway, we just don’t provide the service both our main strikers need.

I agree. It seems a waste to spend £30m on a player then play round him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He was nullified today, but regardless of quite game he always does something, I think he’s had a good start to the season he can run at players , win the ball high up the pitch and finish, yes he was not so good today but I think it was more the fault of others around him tbh its no Surprise he found joy when he started drifting out wide,  our attacking play basically consisted of getting to the byline and crossing he hardly got any service today and his biggest chance came from him creating something for him self

Edited by gwi1890

4 hours ago, Genie said:

4 goals without really showing his best is a good place to be. Hopefully Dean can find a system that gets him regularly into dangerous positions. 

While I agree I also think it's the wings and behind Watkins that need to service better with much more fast, dangerous accurate passes. We dont do such a thing then Watkins talent is going to be wasted up front.

Watkins simply needs servicing and to be released on runs at the right time.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

I think we just don’t play to a central striker’s advantage, we didn’t for Wes hence why he came deep so often to get involved and now the same for Watkins.  How often do we slip a central ball in like Shaqiri did for Liverpool yesterday or how many times does a cross come in low in front of the keeper for a striker to slide onto.  We just don’t do that hence our central strikers struggle.  That’s my opinion anyway, we just don’t provide the service both our main strikers need.

we don't and we don't have runners in the channels, they are out wider and crosses just hit defenders.

Looking at Ings and then over to Callum Wilson they are willing runners that eke out things as does Vardy always foraging for bits and pieces, even getting touches or back heels in the box.......our 2 wide men need to get closer to Ollie or Barkley needs to make runs more often.

Ollie needs someone to play off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

Mings scored exactly how you desribed that chance v Fulham.

Think we need to be patient with Ollie. He's shown enough so far but hat trick v Liverpool means expectations have gone crazy and now it's a crisis when he dosen't score in a game.

I said at the time we should've got in an experienced striker alongside Watkins so to share out the pressure upfront. Not sure what happened to that plan given we were in for Calum Wilson aswell at the same time (I can't believe it was a case of either) and then it seemingly got scrapped once he went to Newcastle where he's started very well.

Liked Watkin's mazy dribble before the penalty, he's clearly pretty good technically, just a little concerned he seems to snatch at shots a bit. Think in short term he would benefit from coming from wider positions a little bit more to get on the ball and dribble at defenders more. Davis starting centrally and Watkins out wide is something we should test out in games but Davis remaining unused in games we're losing is baffling me a little, not really sure what goes through DS mind sometimes with our forward options.

• Like 1

Any replays of him and Grealish having a chat over the pen?

Looked like Jack said no initially?

I would much prefer Jack taking them personally, but glad Watkins is keen if he is going to be the #1 taker.

11 hours ago, nick76 said:

It's got a lot to do I think that we're an average to poor side in a tough league. In the championship Tammy saw a lot of the ball cause we dominated the play. We don't anymore.

But it's a fact we hoof a considerable amount and that has to stop.

7 hours ago, TRO said:

we don't and we don't have runners in the channels, they are out wider and crosses just hit defenders.

Looking at Ings and then over to Callum Wilson they are willing runners that eke out things as does Vardy always foraging for bits and pieces, even getting touches or back heels in the box.......our 2 wide men need to get closer to Ollie or Barkley needs to make runs more often.

Ollie needs someone to play off.

We were having the exact same discussions early last season about wesley being isolated and needing to get players closer to him.

Amazingly when we got players closer to him (Burnley), he had a good game. (then he got injured)

I agree with your point and we don't seem to learn.

• Like 2

Â