Sheffield United

maqroll

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

If these stay up I'll be devastated. No offence, but they're absolute gash, whatever the result last night.

Fortunately I don't think it's possible, regardless.

Looking at their run in it ain't looking too bad tbh.

Absolutely not impossible.

We have given them hope. 

2 more wins and they are suddenly only  6 points behind Newcastle. If Newcastle lose their games granted 

Edited by villalad21

one of the worst teams to grace the PL. losing to them full stop, let alone with 10 men is a humiliation. be amazed if they win another game before end of the season

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

one of the worst teams to grace the PL. losing to them full stop, let alone with 10 men is a humiliation. be amazed if they win another game before end of the season

Dont they play Newcastle again? 

The with 10 men stuff is overrated

With 11 on the pitch they stuck 9 men in their penalty area and had 2 players making token gestures at closing down

With 10 men they had 9 men in their penalty area and 1 player making a token gesture at closing down

It changed very little

• Like 1

They are not a horrific team tbf. They have just bought bad and don"t have the quality.

As a team unit they should not go down alongside the Derby and the Sunderland and the Villa in history.

They ain't getting tonked everyweek

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

They are not a horrific team tbf. They have just bought bad and don"t have the quality.

As a team unit they should not go down alongside the Derby and the Sunderland and the Villa in history.

They ain't getting tonked everyweek

The one thing they can do well is defend and stay organised. Once I saw they took  the lead I feared the worst.

To be honest they knew if they stayed compact in the middle and forced us wide and into crossing we would struggle to break them down. There CB’s would lap that up all day long against Watkins. I may be wrong as I am only seeing a small selection of highlights, but Is this not a similar tactic to how we dealt with Arsenal and Leeds once we took the lead?

They're on less points after 27 played than the Villa relegated team had after the same amount of games. there's part of me hoping that they go on a good run now, as that might make last night's result not seem so bad, but the truth is they probably won't, will probably only win or two more games all season. Worst defeat of the season, worse than the defeats to Brighton and Burnley by far,  but it's done now, what's most important is how we react.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

reports going around that Wilder is going to leave or be sacked by Sheff Utd.

Bad decision for me, for all their failings this season he took them from League 1 to the Premiership, if he goes i honestly cant see them coming back up.

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

reports going around that Wilder is going to leave or be sacked by Sheff Utd.

Bad decision for me, for all their failings this season he took them from League 1 to the Premiership, if he goes i honestly cant see them coming back up.

They should be trying to keep him but from his point of view he's done all he can with them. He might be paying the price for his terrible transfers. £50m wasted. 

There appears to be a lot of behind the scenes drama.  Sheffield United have had ownership issues and boardroom power struggles for a while and it seems that they got lucky with the Wilder appointment.   He got a bunch of League 2 players into the top half of the Premier League but there were problems all over the place once they had to start thinking about how to act like a Premier League club.   Seems they were happy to pay big fees for some players but weren't prepared to pay the wages for players Wilder might have actually wanted and maybe it just became an unpleasant place to work.   Wilder will come out of this ahead though, there will be no shortage of offers for his services and he can probably just sit back and wait for the right one to come along.  A club with a bit of money and a bit of ambition would be perfect for him.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, villa89 said:

They should be trying to keep him but from his point of view he's done all he can with them. He might be paying the price for his terrible transfers. £50m wasted. 

Apparently Sheff Utd want to hire a DoF because of this, and Wilder wasn't having it which has caused the rift with the board.

Which is fair enough imo, they're best XI still has 8 (9 with O'Connell fit) of the players that were with them in the Championship, and a few that were with them in League 1 too, and as you say, spent £50m but seemingly not upgraded the team.

3 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

Double relegation on the cards without Wilder I think. His achievements have been miraculous despite this season.

Yes if you at their record over the last 50 years, the last time they had a sustained spell in the top flight was in the 70s when they had Tony Curry playing for them. They are not a top flight club. Wilder did miracles. 

Just Wow. Sacking Wilder is nuts. He was comfortably the best asset the club had by some considerable distance .

They will sink like a stone now. The ownership structure has disaster written all over it.

Edited by thunderball

11 hours ago, The_Rev said:

There appears to be a lot of behind the scenes drama.  Sheffield United have had ownership issues and boardroom power struggles for a while and it seems that they got lucky with the Wilder appointment.   He got a bunch of League 2 players into the top half of the Premier League but there were problems all over the place once they had to start thinking about how to act like a Premier League club.   Seems they were happy to pay big fees for some players but weren't prepared to pay the wages for players Wilder might have actually wanted and maybe it just became an unpleasant place to work.   Wilder will come out of this ahead though, there will be no shortage of offers for his services and he can probably just sit back and wait for the right one to come along.  A club with a bit of money and a bit of ambition would be perfect for him.  

All of Football knows this, including every single Sheffield fan to a man. Unfortunately for the fans, the owners have just shot themselves in the foot. Ego’s and football eh?

Story is that the owners want to bring in a director of football and that's causing the issues.

Kind of understandable. It isn't 1995. How can he scout the world for players while managing a team, it's impossible.

Seems a sensible move to me. Wilder has shown he can't be trusted with big transfers.

They need to find a good DOF who thinks along the same lines as Wilder. It's not one or the other.

• Like 1

Stories I've heard from a couple of Sheffield lads I work with.

1. Wilder won't go until the end of the season.

2. The money they've spent on transfers was borrowed from selling their future prize money and parachute payments. Whilst the owner is a member of the Saudi royal family, he's (in comparative terms), not one of the wealthy ones. When he took over the club and forced the other 50% owner out via the courts, he had to borrow money from everywhere to purchase the ground and training ground.

If the story about Wilder not going till the end of the season is true I don't see the point of getting rid of him at all. I know football is cynical, but surely he's earnt a crack at getting them back up. If they do go down though they're going to be a skint championship club paying high wages to players on long term deals and any earnings will go to service debt. 

Â