Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Not sure if this has anything to do with ffp or even true but on the transfer show with Darren Bent yesterday on Talk Sport it said that Newcastle had offered payment for Wilson in one go upfront whilst we had could only afford to offer staged payments on the deal

Yep. We have one billionaire owner and one super billionaire owner, but we cannot afford 20m up front. Absolutely, Darren.

Stage payments are normal these days, and would also help us with FFP.

31 minutes ago, grobs said:

We really need to get rid of some players that are on our books. 

I kind of agree, but when you look at it our squad is now razor thin.

Jota, Lansbury and Hause are about the only players you could say we should move on, but Hause is pretty useful as he can play CB and LB and post lockdown he was our biggest threat from set pieces.

Bree has gone, Hogan is probably going to get a free transfer to Small Heath to get him off the wage book, Chester, Green, O'Hare and most of the former youth players we thought would come good but didn't, have been released.

We are in a unique position, in that we have very little dead wood in the squad.

7 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I kind of agree, but when you look at it our squad is now razor thin.

Jota, Lansbury and Hause are about the only players you could say we should move on, but Hause is pretty useful as he can play CB and LB and post lockdown he was our biggest threat from set pieces.

Bree has gone, Hogan is probably going to get a free transfer to Small Heath to get him off the wage book, Chester, Green, O'Hare and most of the former youth players we thought would come good but didn't, have been released.

We are in a unique position, in that we have very little dead wood in the squad.

we're still struggling with the wages these players are being paid. hogan and lansbury are on 40k each i believe. no one is going to match those wages so they're just going to see out their contracts

This all feels like another Lambert era to me.

Having to work on a strict wage budget. Having to find gems in the lower leagues.

Smith has got some job on his hands. Judging by what Smith will be given this window i won't be too hard on him this season.

17th would be a great achievement as of right now

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

This all feels like another Lambert era to me.

Having to work on a strict wage budget. Having to find gems in the lower leagues.

Smith has got some job on his hands. Judging by what Smith will be given this window i won't be too hard on him this season.

😂😂😂 absolute madness 

• Like 2

I think giving Wilson a 5 year contract is a big risk. He could come good and be a great signing but on the 100k wages that's a 26mil in wages and 20mil on transfer fee. With no chance of a sell on. It's very much a SB signing. 

I don't see us making signings like that, it doesn't fit the model. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, clip on mullet said:

Haha ok. No probs 

He's going to be a great signing, as important for us as Luiz turned out to be. By next summer we'll all be worried about how to keep him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Whatever happens you’ll be bashing Smith all through the season for minor little things just so you can bash him.  It won’t be good critic it will be usual bashing.

Maybe in the heat of the moment straight after a game. I usually calm down some.

2 hours ago, VillaCas said:

12th wouldn’t be ‘consolidation’ it would be considerable improvement.

Far too soon to panic - I’m confident that we will buy quality additions before the window shuts

There does need to be a realism though that we will need to improve in stages - hopefully lower mid-table this year and then further incremental improvements going forward 

Purslows statement made in February explains how FFP limits the ability of clubs to ‘splash the cash’ even if they have wealthy owners

18months ago we were 14th in the Championship so I’m very very happy with the progress the new owners have overseen. 

Consolidation and at best 12th; I never said 12th would be consolidation...two different scenarios.