Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

It's not the fault of our owners or our negotiators if a player is a moron and thinks playing for Steve Bruce's Newcastle (or any Newcastle for that matter) is better than playing for Villa.

On the other hand I'm still not at all convinced our interest in Wilson was as serious as what's been reported. 

If it's true we were/are refusing to pay £25m for 24-year-old EFL Player of the Year Ollie Watkins, it doesn't make sense to me that we would bid £21m for 8-goal Callum Wilson.

He's fine but he wasn't the answer to our problems to begin with, certainly not at that price. I suspect there are fibs being told to the press (shock horror!)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

This is the week then, Wednesday isn't it? 

I certainly hope so.  If we get to the end of the week with no further movement which could be the case I’ll need a psych unit.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I certainly hope so.  If we get to the end of the week with no further movement which could be the case I’ll need a psych unit.

👀 don't worry bud, someone you like very much is coming home🤞I can feel it, literally haven't felt anything this big for ages

• Like 1

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

👀 don't worry bud, someone you like very much is coming home🤞I can feel it, literally haven't felt anything this big for ages

Would love that.  Don’t care what others say about his shortfalls I’d love him back.

cheered me up, thanks bud (whether it happens or not)

• Like 1

We really need to get some players off our books soon. Both for salary reasons and to hopefully get the odd £ in from transfer fees so we can improve where we need to.

Jota, Lansbury, Kalinic, Nyland, Hogan , (Hause, Elmo, Taylor) and even Trez, ElGhazi and Samatta if we can find a buyer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, holteendhero said:

Most transfer fees are paid over the length of the players contact. Bournemouth accepted our offer, the player decided he wanted to play for Newcastle we withdrew our offer. Why does these mean as a club we are in trouble? 

Some, definitely. Most, maybe. But not all. Harry Maguire to Man Utd, for example, was £80m paid in one go. (I know this for a fact).

Just now, TheStagMan said:

Must be big wages as well. Final payday as he sees out his career.

There is a difference between "not being able to land players" and saying "you're 'avin a laugh mate"

Never heard of a 1 year extension that can be activated by the player. That's mad!

Haha, I wonder what he'll do in year 4 after sitting out most of the season injured at the ripe old age of 32. I felt NUFC were doing something like this because they have form for daft contracts.

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

What on earth would we want to pay a player ‘tens of millions for anyway’ even if we never went down we wouldn’t want to pay a player that there is only about 20 teams in world football who can and even then it’s only for a handful of players.

As for FFP no fan has a clue what the current situation is you would need to work out

Our situation in the final year of the championship

Know everything about our spend last year (which there are no figures)

Work out how Covid effected our finances, know how it will effect this coming years.

Adjust then for the different FFP regulatory systems for 1 year in the championship and 2 for the premier league.

You would need to know how the previous transfers are to be paid and not just their overall figure.

and finally (if I haven’t missed something which I probably have) work out how the allowances made for FFP in the light of Covid  benefit us.

What I meant was according to the recent comments by Purslow we just can't offer as big contracts as other teams due to the FFP rules. We are still in affect about half a  championship club budget wise. regardless of how much wealth our owners have. It appears that we have actually lowered our wage bill from the last season in the championship.

I just don't think at present it is realistic to expect 'big' name signings which have been vaguely bandied about like Tripper, Romero, and Tammy. We probably need to stay up for at least a couple of seasons before we can really unleash our potential spending. 

Compared to most of us plebs our players will still be earning lots of money, just comparatively less than a lot of Premier league players.

In the meantime expect more of the same from last year in foregin buys or promising championship signings.

13 minutes ago, sne said:

We really need to get some players off our books soon. Both for salary reasons and to hopefully get the odd £ in from transfer fees so we can improve where we need to.

Jota, Lansbury, Kalinic, Nyland, Hogan , (Hause, Elmo, Taylor) and even Trez, ElGhazi and Samatta if we can find a buyer.

Whilst I agree with this I don't see a majority of these moving on. Hause, Elmo, Taylor, El Ghazt and Trez I'm almost certain will be part of the squad next season.  The rest I think we'll struggle to shift. We might be able to get Jota out on loan, but I seriously doubt anyone would take on Lansbury's wages, or Hogan's, and Kalinic seems to have fallen off the planet. Nyland will probably see his contract out so it only leaves Samatta out of that list where we could realistically make money, and I doubt he'd be sold until we have at least 1 new striker in. Sadly I don't think we're going to be able to use sales to subsidise recruitment.