Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Just now, Xela said:

Talented he may be but I don't want to be signing players with attitude problems. Otherwise you're looking at Ravel Morrison mark 2

To be fair after two years playing at the lower ends of the Belgian and Portuguese leagues hasn't changed his perceived attitude problems then god knows what will...

5 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Bit of a trouble maker he is?

Just going on what the previous poster had said. Talent is one thing, but you need character. He may well have changed and you'd hope any team that purchased him would do due diligence but as we've seen with some of our signings before, that doesn't always happen with us. I think we are run better now though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

What do you mean by minimal?

If we don't sign a starting striker, right winger and probably centre mid as well I think we'll be ratting round the bottom three most of the season.

And a keeper. Forgot about that.

My belief is that we didn’t sign anyone we would still be better this year than last given the experience we’ve gained

By minimal, I mean an additional forward option plus Matty Cash (already here) who is a really good player

That said, I expect us to bring in another three or four before the window closes

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

Talented he may be but I don't want to be signing players with attitude problems. Otherwise you're looking at Ravel Morrison mark 2

Jack had issues when he was younger and has turned out ok. 

• Like 2

So what would be a successful window  over the next month or so?

For me it has to be two from Edouard, Watkins and Benrahma and then either Martinez/Romero.

Icing on the cake would be a Lange type signing like Mohammed  Daramy (Copenhagen) or Victor Jensen (Ajax, but from Copenhagen)

29 minutes ago, mallett said:

I don't know if there is anything in the speculation but I can tell you a little bit about Marcus Edwards which I have gleaned online.

Marcus Edwards is 21, English and plays for Vitória de Guimarães in Portugal. He signed for them last season from Tottenham where he supposedly had an attitude problem and failed to make the breakthrough after making his debut at a very early age. Pochettino likened him to Messi when he was about 17 which was a remark he came to regret.

After a disastrous loan spell at Norwich in 2018 which was ended early after just one appearance. He spent the 2018-19 season on loan to Dutch club  Excelsior (two goals in 25 appearances for club with four assists). Excelsior was relegated but he had the most dribbles of any player in the Eredivisie. However, it seemed to be a breakthrough season in terms of his attitude as he knuckled down and expressed regret for his previous attitudes (and also said he was shy and misunderstood).

Last season he got 9 goals and 5 assists in 34 matches playing in the right wing for Vitoria who play a similar formation to Villa (4 1 4 1). Edwards plays on the right of the attack as an inverted right winger (he is left footed) one of our weakest positions. He has some pace, good vision, an eye for a pass but his biggest strength is his dribbling which is exceptional.

He is improving his final product and has also improved his defensive contribution this season. However, when Vitoria lost the ball he tended to be left up out on the right as Vitoria's out ball because of his pace and ability to beat a man which means the opposition have to devote some resources to marking him. He is tiny, gets fouled a lot, loses a lot of aerial challenges and needs to improve his strength.

I think he would improve us. There is a rumour of a £13.6 million release clause but it is also said that Spurs have a 50% sign on agreement.

He also scored in the europa v Arsenal. Very talented player. Watched him a fair bit post lockdown on Freesports and think he could come back and be a Nathan Redmond type in the premier league, not always eye catching but will weigh in with goals and assists throughout the season.

Think for his career it makes more sense for him to stay in Portugal as he's a key part of the Guimaraes team. If we can get some sort of link up going with them as rumoured then we should be in pole position to get him, Guimaraes are a europa league quality team so good standard.

We signed worse last summer.

22 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

To be fair after two years playing at the lower ends of the Belgian and Portuguese leagues hasn't changed his perceived attitude problems then god knows what will...

Guimaraes were playing in europa so they're a long way off relegation standard. They drew with Arsenal 2-2 and only lost 3-2 at Emirates so they'd give us a game certainly.

Lots of young players have struggles on loan early on. Kane was at Norwich in 12/13 and hardly played although think that was more injury related. What's important is Edwards learnt the lessons from that, decided to go abroad and is now a key player for a good standard team.

11 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Jack had issues when he was younger and has turned out ok. 

He made some bad choices perhaps but I would have never said Jack had a bad attitude. 

• Like 2