Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whilst the window is disappointing so far surely everyone is happy we look to be keeping Grealish?

Good point. I am delighted. I also know we are going to sign some new players. If thats fewer, more thought out and expensive thats fine by me.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whilst the window is disappointing so far surely everyone is happy we look to be keeping Grealish?

It's good but I was kind of hoping we'd make 1-2 signings that would get him thinking I should stay beyond next summer aswell.

Doubt he's looking forward to laying on gilt edged chances for Samatta and Davis to miss v Sheffield United currently. Things need to change in the next 7 days.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

I think we'll be aiming for better than Edwards to come into the first team, he's not someone you can look at and say with any degree of certainty that he'd be any better than El Ghazi or Trezeguet at premier league level, could only see us going for him if one of those two left, and even then only as a squad player. We haven't actually been linked with him anyway, so none of it seemingly matters.

5 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Keep Grealish, McGinn and Douglas Luiz. Add a couple of new faces.

And that’s a successful window? Keeping players that barely kept us up and just one more addition to Matty Cash?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rayk said:

I’d take Edwards in a heartbeat. He had talent to spare and I think he’s got something to prove and that combination is priceless under the right manager.

His current status in the game reminds me of when Ashley Young was at Watford, certainly an up and coming talent and probably one off the radar of quite a few football people. Let's face it there's probably loads of casual football fans in the U.K who've never watched Jaydon Sancho play a league match so Edwards would be completely unknown.

We could and probably will sign worse this summer than him.

29 minutes ago, Xela said:

Talented he may be but I don't want to be signing players with attitude problems. Otherwise you're looking at Ravel Morrison mark 2

Morrison has all sorts of psychological problems. Edwards seems more akin to a young Grealish. Maybe having Jack alongside him and also someone like Hendrie at the club would really help him straighten out. Definitely worth the risk in my view. He is insanely talented.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I think we'll be aiming for better than Edwards to come into the first team, he's not someone you can look at and say with any degree of certainty that he'd be any better than El Ghazi or Trezeguet at premier league level, could only see us going for him if one of those two left, and even then only as a squad player. We haven't actually been linked with him anyway, so none of it seemingly matters.

Who do you think we'll sign out wide that will be better? There's been no links to someone like Sarr of Watford either and we have much less chance of getting him.

Could sign Edwards for similar fee to Matty Cash so think it's well worth it.

22 hours ago, rayk said:

I just watched it now and found it a bit condescending. I remember when we signed Ashley Westwood from Crewe and we produced a dossier about how many times we had watched him play. That was in 2012/13.

We may have done that less under Spud, because of Spud “Awaaaaay.....you’ll love it here lad’.

But seriously since Sawiris and Eden’s have come in I reckon we are top draw professionally.

But your final line is not seemingly being true at present.....how are we top draw?

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

His current status in the game reminds me of when Ashley Young was at Watford, certainly an up and coming talent and probably one off the radar of quite a few football people. Let's face it there's probably loads of casual football fans in the U.K who've never watched Jaydon Sancho play a league match so Edwards would be completely unknown.

We could and probably will sign worse this summer than him.

I see him a bit more as an Aaron Lennon type player than Young but I get the comparison.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

But your final line is not seemingly being true at present.....how are we top draw?

I meant in terms of professionalism, scouting data and analysis......not just that Spud has seen a player a couple of times on TV and wants to sign him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Blimey. So Watkins for example?

Just Watkins and Cash and you think we'll be around 12th? No chance IMO.

It'll be alarm bells for me if that's all we get sir.

It's also playing with fire with it being hugely demotivating to our key men like Grealish, McGinn, Mings, Luiz. We know the owners spoke to the players to ham up the plans for the future.

If you had that in your head then results are poor and you're starting alongside Trez and Hourihane, it's inviting agents to get in ears saying 'We need to get out of here'.

You've got to look at Grealish overall as well. He was unbelievable last season, especially the first half before teams really started to appreciate they couldn't leave him alone because he'd kill them. It's very possible he won't be at that level this season.

Dangerous game to plan that everyone will be better. It's logical yes, but we still must improve the quality of the squad. Too many are simply not good enough.

Here's to another three or four and a top 10 charge.

I expect us to bring in another four - at a guess GK, CM, and a couple of forward options

However, I truly believe without that we will be a lot better this year anyway

I predicted 17th last year, I think 12th this year is very achievable 

• Like 1

We haven't been linked to many right sided wingers, off the top of my head can only think of Buendia and Thauvin, Sarr's been talked about but not sure if we've been linked to him in the media. If we bring in a couple of wingers then might make sense for someone like Edwards as well as someone else a bit more established. I've still got a feeling we're going to end up with Benrahma, wouldn't be surprised if that's what the hold up with the Watkins deal is about, trying to agree a fee for the both of them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rayk said:

I see him a bit more as an Aaron Lennon type player than Young but I get the comparison.

It's more he's an up and coming player so fits the profile of what he want.

Desperate to be proved wrong but I'd be amazed if we signed any top quality winger this summer. Probably a harsh criteria from me but I don't actually consider Rashica or Sarr to be either.

Mind you it dosen't always work out even if you get one. Felipe Anderson had brazil caps and was a key counter attack player for Lazio when they were finishing in top 4 in Serie A but he's flopped badly at West Ham and know they can't  get rid of him due to his massive wages.

Someone like Chukeweze is what I'd call a marquee signing. Villareal have spent quite a bit on attacking players this summer so I wonder if they might let him go in next six months to balance the books. Probably beyond us but if the club is as ambitious as people say I'd like us to have a go as he won't be on massive wages.

Should target whichever scout identified Saint-Maxim for Newcastle as it certainly wasn't Steve Bruce.

4 minutes ago, useless said:

We haven't been linked to many right sided wingers, off the top of my head can only think of Buendia and Thauvin, Sarr's been talked about but not sure if we've been linked to him in the media. If we bring in a couple of wingers then might make sense for someone like Edwards as well as someone else a bit more established. I've still got a feeling we're going to end up with Benrahma, wouldn't be surprised if that's what the hold up with the Watkins deal is about, trying to agree a fee for the both of them.

Yeah Thauvin would be a huge coup in fairness but I don't believe that link for a second as I can't think of any reason why he'd leave Marseille for us particularly as it didn't go well for him at  Newcastle. Not sure his style is even suited that much.

Is Dimitri Payet still at Marseille, probably more likely to get him and that would be fun for a season with him and Grealish linking up before he gets bored of us and goes on strike.

I wouldn't class Benrahma as top class either, certainly not better than Edwards as top 6 of portugal league is better than top 6 of championship.

Edited by VillaChris

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whilst the window is disappointing so far surely everyone is happy we look to be keeping Grealish

Definitely, although no further signings, a poor start to the season and I wouldn't blame him for leaving at the end of the window. I'm sure he's been sold a vision, I just hope that whatever they sold him is close to the truth we're currently experiencing.

If he's been told that signings will arrive late in the window we should hold on to him, as I'm convinced our owners won't let us end the window without at least a further 2 first team signings

• Like 1

Just now, MrBlack said:

Definitely, although no further signings, a poor start to the season and I wouldn't blame him for leaving at the end of the window. I'm sure he's been sold a vision, I just hope that whatever they sold him is close to the truth we're currently experiencing.

If he's been told that signings will arrive late in the window we should hold on to him, as I'm convinced our owners won't let us end the window without at least a further 2 first team signings

I might have just been told he is going nowhere unless an 80 million pound bid comes in for him and he is loves the club to much to kick up a fuss about it.