Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

I look at a team that is on the cusp of signing Wilson, who may be really good for one full season, if they’re lucky,  and thank McGrath that isn’t us.. It made my Sunday.. I predict Bruce getting sacked in Autumn ‘21 and Wilson will be injured, so the media can say it was unlucky on Bruce..

The point I want to make is, I think we’re in a better position as club than I’ve seen for years so I’m not going to panic just yet.

UTV

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jimbob80 said:

Would anyone take Albrighton back? I’d love to see him back at the Villa 

I'd love to see him back as well, I got a sweet spot for bringing back former academy players. My main concern though is that I'm not sure where he would fit in if we play the preferred 4-3-3. He is a proper winger in a 4-4-2 to me, and I wouldn't play him neither RB or wide forward. 

If someone else like Palace or Everton had have signed Marcal no one would be going on about it, but because it's Wolves it's being characterized as some sort of amazing deal. By all accounts he's being brought in as a back up option.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, useless said:

If someone else like Palace or Everton had have signed Marcal no one would be going on about it, but because it's Wolves it's being characterized as some sort of amazing deal. By all accounts he's being brought in as a back up option.

Who would you rather have as a back up at LB? Marcel or Neil Taylor?

I won't pretend to know - but having followed Villa for more years than I care to remember, Ive seen all sorts of windows - and times when there wasn't a window. MON used to wait famously until the last week before a flurry of arrivals - and there has been times when weve just missed out on players. I recall in the Graham Turner our then chairman Doug Eliis came out with the statement that money is available for players, when the players didn't arrive it eventually transpired that there was very little money available for players.

Times change, and the new owners haven't done much wrong, hell they pulled us back from the brink. What will say though is that when transfer activity falls flat very often finance is the issue.

He was a regular for a team who've just made the CL SFs, played the full 90 minutes when they beat Man. City 3-1. Of course the unknown is how he'll adapt to the quicker pace of the league compared to France.

Not just Wolves. Brighton signed Joel Veltman who was a regular at Ajax in their 18-19 CL run and he hardly cost anything either.

We're too obssesed with getting in 15m + players all the time who might not be that good. Get in a few steady heads for low fees could push us up 4-5 places just as much.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

an actual not terrible article from the Birmingham Mail.

Aston Villa opinion | This is a unique transfer window, so why isn't it treated as such?

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfers-benrahma-watkins-18889308

Was just  about to past the exact same. Actual journalism and not wankfest clickbait. It makes some very valid points which are massively overlooked on here by some. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

an actual not terrible article from the Birmingham Mail.

Aston Villa opinion | This is a unique transfer window, so why isn't it treated as such?

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfers-benrahma-watkins-18889308

Yes some good points made ...including.....

it's oft-assumed that they can simply dip into the pockets of their billionaire owners Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens - but this is not the case and it should not be.

51 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Our reluctance to spend money? Our desire to pay less wages than we did in the Championship? Signing first team players on no more than 35k in 2020?

Again I’ll ask what evidence you have that Purslow is running Villa like a corner shop?Everything you’ve posted there is conjecture or you’ve just made up out of thin air.

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He was a regular for a team who've just made the CL SFs, played the full 90 minutes when they beat Man. City 3-1. Of course the unknown is how he'll adapt to the quicker pace of the league compared to France.

Not just Wolves. Brighton signed Joel Veltman who was a regular at Ajax in their 18-19 CL run and he hardly cost anything either.

We're too obssesed with getting in 15m + players all the time who might not be that good. Get in a few steady heads for low fees could push us up 4-5 places just as much.

This. Veltman was a player we could have done with, experienced, part of a strong Netherlands squad, versatile (can play CB or RB), and cost a very small fee. I think Brighton paid a measly £900K for him. 

It's honestly ridiculous how we're struggling to get players in and haggling over fees, when there's so many examples of players who cost barely anything that would improve our squad at the very least. Fraser is available on a free, going to Newcastle. Sarr to Chelsea. Veltman and Lallana to Brighton. Clyne is available. Even bloomin Joe Hart could have been worth a punt on a free. 

We will probably end up panic buying right at the end of this window and get fleeced yet again. It's all so predictable with this club. 

16 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

It’s all well and good but where are the new signings

I’d hazard a guess and say currently being negotiated ? ...🤔

Did you read the article? Just because it doesn’t fit into your or my timeline kinda means Jack Shit really.

Yes, the season starts in a week. But the window is open for another 4 weeks/+EFL  Ext window.

Ch€L$K¥ aside market is slow and we have to bide our time as fans and have faith. 

Edited by thabucks

We have been terrible negotiators for years. We have had our pants pulled down more times than I care to remember. Finally we have a management team who are better versed at getting the right deals done. It will happen in time. Everyone keep the faith

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

This. Veltman was a player we could have done with, experienced, part of a strong Netherlands squad, versatile (can play CB or RB), and cost a very small fee. I think Brighton paid a measly £900K for him. 

1) It's honestly ridiculous how we're struggling to get players in and haggling over fees, when there's so many examples of players who cost barely anything that would improve our squad at the very least. Fraser is available on a free, going to Newcastle. Sarr to Chelsea. Veltman and Lallana to Brighton. 2) Clyne is available. Even bloomin Joe Hart could have been worth a punt on a free. 

We will probably end up panic buying right at the end of this window and get fleeced yet again. It's all so predictable with this club. 

1) Bullshit conjecture you've made up in your head after listening to paper talk with nothing material to reference. 

2) Clyne is shit now and has been since 2017 and I'd rather have Cash at 23 with his entire career ahead of him thanks. 

Edit: Just realised you meant the other Sarr and not the Watford bloke!

Edited by Steero113