Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

3 hours ago, Awol said:

I’m in a minority of one on this, but with some of the links we’ve had I could see us set up In a 4-2-3-1 for winnable games.

The argument against is the 2 being too weak with Luiz (who I rate) and SJM. If you got Phillips (which we won’t) and put him next to Luiz it would work, imo. Ditto with Idrissa Gueye (also not likely) or Santamaria.

Hopefully Leeds get relegated and we grab Phillips when Man Citeh raid us for Douglas next summer - which the barstewards will if he carries on performing like this. 

Anyway, as you were. 

I think the exact same on the formation and I can see SJM working in the two or the middle of the three in that formation.

16 minutes ago, thunderball said:

‘“Land a big one to get the thing going” - I am not sure I understand what Nicko means here? How does this help or work?

We need to make a statement signing to get everything going and more parties interested, I guess.

Of course, he's guessing too.

• Like 1

There isn’t much that Alan Nixon writes that I can chime with, but he’s right to say that we need to land a big one. It’s been said by one or two of us in the last few weeks, the need to lay down a marker, and the requirement to pay over the odds if necessary to blow the opposition away. I’m a little surprised that we haven’t done/offered enough to land whoever our primary target might be, as that would surely open the door for other targets to arrive having seen the intent and ambition. To progress up the Premier League food chain we will have to pay big for two or three signings, we have to nail down our “Robinho”.  I’d be slightly concerned if nothing is completed in the next week, as to me this would signal that we’re not putting the serious £s on the table to get the 1st choice players through the door. If you’re serious about getting what you want then you put the money up early to make sure nobody else muscles in. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, thunderball said:

‘“Land a big one to get the thing going” - I am not sure I understand what Nicko means here? How does this help or work?

You need stars to entice stars. 

None of the top players in the world are going to join Villa right now until we have players they've heard of playing for us. 

The kind of players we want to sign over the next few years are already playing with some of the best players in the world. We're never going to land any of them until we land a few big players ourselves. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Daweii said:

You need stars to entice stars. 

None of the top players in the world are going to join Villa right now until we have players they've heard of playing for us. 

The kind of players we want to sign over the next few years are already playing with some of the best players in the world. We're never going to land any of them until we land a few big players ourselves. 

I agree but we have got that Jack Whatshisname bloke they may have heard of. To be honest a big signing would make it more likely we hang on to him too. Although I’m sure he’ll be aware of stuff in the pipeline to some extent. 

• Like 2

I still think Wesley will come good for us, rather like Luiz has. He needed time in a new environment. A real shame when he got Mee'd

We should give him a chance especially with better supply and better defending behind him. I just think he will score goals

6 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I agree but we have got that Jack Whatshisname bloke they may have heard of. To be honest a big signing would make it more likely we hang on to him too. Although I’m sure he’ll be aware of stuff in the pipeline to some extent. 

Quite possible the big one we need to land is the man himself on a new contract. 

• Like 3

220 mill or over is what chelsea spending may go past if they sign next week Chilwell, Silva, Havertz.

Do we not all agree that if they make these signings then theres a good chance they may have to sell as well. Would be a very good time to test the waters for Tammy if those signings go through at chelsea.

When top clubs have moved there signings in and spendature has gone through the roof I think this is one of the main reasons we have not signed anyone yet. Were simply holding off so it puts us in a better position to say: Here look you've spent all this money on the likes of such n such player now. We know you dont need this guy, so let us take him off your hands at a reasonable price, so both parts win because you need to recoup some money back.

44 minutes ago, thunderball said:

I think he's got into the Rashica thread vibes. 🍆 ......

49 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Well Thunderball it goes like this that sometimes a person feels that if they land the big one, there eyes instantly roll to the back of there head 🤣

Episode 7 Rachel GIF by Friends

Edited by Dave-R

6 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

We are being linked in the german press to Conor Nob an irish youth player who plays for munchen gladbach,im presuming its for the u23s

I think Connor was called that a few times last season. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

220 mill or over is what chelsea spending may go past if they sign next week Chilwell, Silva, Havertz.

Do we not all agree that if they make these signings then theres a good chance they may have to sell as well. Would be a very good time to test the waters for Tammy if those signings go through at chelsea.

When top clubs have moved there signings in and spendature has gone through the roof I think this is one of the main reasons we have not signed anyone yet. Were simply holding off so it puts us in a better position to say: Here look you've spent all this money on the likes of such n such player now. We know you dont need this guy, so let us take him off your hands at a reasonable price, so both parts win because you need to recoup some money back.

Yeah get Tammy whatever the price.  You have a feeling they will sell some players, hopefully we can nick Tammy.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I still don’t get how we make a big statement signing without offering massive wages. 

Maybe we will. Maybe we already have. I’m sure our owners aren’t naive enough to think the two aren’t mutually exclusive.

3 minutes ago, Ginko said:

Maybe we will. Maybe we already have. I’m sure our owners aren’t naive enough to think the two aren’t mutually exclusive.

Ok but then once we start doing that then I don’t understand how we will afford it without falling foul of FFP. 

13 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Let’s put this to bed right now, nobody will be obtaining Tammy Abraham for a “reasonable” price. It’ll be £40m+, and I personally wouldn’t pay it, I honestly don’t think Tammy will go any levels higher than he has just done. He misses a lot of chances and can go quite a few games without scoring. The majority of his goals tend to arrive earlier in the season and in clusters of a few games. I think that’s why Chelsea finished last season with Giroud as their No.1 CF, and he scored a good few in that Chelsea team, and ppl generally view giroud as a non scoring hold up CF. 

• Like 3