Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

32 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Samu Chukuweze would be a statement signing imo. Regular for Villareal and linked to CL clubs but I don't think he's ready for that yet. Quick wide player and given Villareal have signed a high number of players already I get the feeling they'll cash in on him next 12 months for 35-40m.

Great minds! This morning I was rethinking our right sided issue and was checking him out again as an option. My personal choice would be for Stengs from AZ but if, as we're meant to believe, that Smith is prioritising more pace in the side Chukuweze ticks a lot of boxes:

20 Years Old. Great ball carrier. Fast. Left footer playing primarily on the right, seems to be Smith's preference. Villareal have got the highly related Kubo on loan from Real Madrid who generally prefers to play on the Right too I believe, so Chukuweze could be available...maybe Already a part of the Nigerian national team setup too.

• Like 1

Thing is if we sign Tammy it blows the wage structure apart...

However he's a better option than Edouard having done it at this level but I don't think we can get him.

Incidentally when did Villa ever make a 'statement signing'? Don't hold your breath it won't happen this season...I think we are struggling to attract players.

A lot of posters talking about a budget.

I suspect we do not have a budget, and that our new owners will provide whatever money is required to fulfil their ambition for the club.

Everything we know about these guys would indicate that they are not here to make up the numbers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, rayk said:

Absolutely and I have no doubt we tried to sign him and told he was unavailable.

Frankly even with Wes, if we’d signed Maupay and Benrahma (instead of Trez) we’d have been safe well before the season end.

Your phrasing would indicate that you are convinced about this, whereas it is only wild speculation.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

In summer 2008 we spent that amount of midfielders and defenders:

Friedel (3m)

Luke Young (6m)

Shorey (5m)

Cuellar (8m)

Sidwell (5m)

And on the last day of window Milner came in for 12m.

Probably showed why we could never quite break into the elite under MON. Many of them were solid players for us (Shorey and Sidwell flopped) but it was again a case of buying bulk instead of getting those 2-3 who can offer match winning ability at both ends. Another two Milner types and we could've made the top 4 that season.

I think this round of transfers was not bad, it was the next batch that showed the limits of MON. He effectively brought in a new defence with Dunne and Collins replacing the injured Larsen and Curtis Davies.  Both Dunney and Collins were solid but not ball playing defenders and were getting towards the end of their careers. 

We needed another class forward, and we brought in Heskey. Again not as bad as some people thought but not a massive goal scorer and must have been over 30 when we bought him. Downing was not as good a players as Barry, Milner or Young. Warnock, another steady eddy signing. Habib Beye what was that all about? He didn't go abroad and buy players and always relied on a core of about 13-14 players, who always tired come March time. 

Lerner was far too hands off and relied on MON hunches on players which were very British-centric and was based more on teamwork and personality rather than technique and ability. By 2010 Lerner was losing money and wanted to reign in O'Neill, and we all know what happened next.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

However he's a better option than Edouard having done it at this level but I don't think we can get him.

Incidentally when did Villa ever make a 'statement signing'? Don't hold your breath it won't happen this season...I think we are struggling to attract players.

Juan Pablo Angel
Darren Bent

Even players like Paul Merson, Ginola etc felt at the time like statement signings.

Before the oil money distorted and warped everything, we were always in the top 8 clubs for making fairly decent signings.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

I don't rate him that highly. He's good but not great. And certainly not as valuable to Chelsea as Grealish is to us.

I'd go with that. Hence Tammy being 35-50m with players in his way and Jack being not for sale, and certainly not a penny less than 100m as one of, if not the best young players in the league.

12 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

A lot of posters talking about a budget.

I suspect we do not have a budget, and that our new owners will provide whatever money is required to fulfil their ambition for the club.

Everything we know about these guys would indicate that they are not here to make up the numbers.

Unless we start flinging the cash about we will always be 'making up the numbers'...

Now i'm not comparing us to Chelsea but look at how much money they are spending just to try and keep up with the 'top two'.

Villa have so far to go unless we start spending the cash now; i worry we cannot currently attract the next-level of players!

Of course I hope I am completely wrong; just seems like we are struggling to get our first-choice targets?!

• Like 1

I think our 1st choice targets are still in play. Hence why its taking time. They're going to be much harder to get.There is nothing to suggest we're struggling either.

I agree about the budget. This 100m figure is plucked out of thin air. We could easily spend more than last season, albeit on less players.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Of course I hope I am completely wrong; just seems like we are struggling to get our first-choice targets?!

Some of it likely is dependant on the transfer-chain. For an example, Brentford may only be willing to let Watkins go once they have a replacement already in.

A lot of the 'big names' West Ham and Everton are getting in, seem to largely come because of huge wages, yet most seem to think they are better than the club and rarely put in the effort. Could be wrong but players who go for 20-50 mil to a non champs league club have their egos stretched. 

Look at players like Moise Kean, Haller, even Richarlison, all massively over rated and rarely deliver.

Even if we sign some big names there is always a chance they will not perform.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

So we need to sign Messi then? :P 

I'd love us to sign a player of the calibre you're referring to here but I just can't see it. Though, the type of names you're thinking of might be difficult to the type of names I'm thinking of of course. Had we finished a few places higher last season and not been involved in a relegation scrap until the final day then I think the chances of signing better quality players would increase, providing we're willing to throw enough money at them in terms of wages. 

Though, for where we are right now, I can't see us pulling in any "how have they signed him?" type signings. Think we're far more likely to sign players from the Championship. Though, I hope i'm wrong and we manage to pull a rabbit out of the hat. 

I'm not calling for a statement signing, my only point was the names we are being linked with aren't in my view statement signings. I'm not really eager to see us make one either, just want to see us add quality.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

The wage structure needs to be altered in order to progress. In that I mean we need to pay bigger wages in order to attract better players. Money spent normally correlates to improved performance. However, it needs to be done smartly - not 'Arry type spending.