Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

25 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ok but then once we start doing that then I don’t understand how we will afford it without falling foul of FFP. 

Nope, nor me, but again I doubt our owners aren’t aware and they’ll have a plan in place.

I suspect that the increase in Premier League and TV money since we were in the league previously will help enormously.

I think someone posted the wage bills of every PL team last season fairly recently and we were very low down, so perhaps survival ensured our existing players get some kind of a raise, with the likes of Jack getting bumper deals.

Then with regards to new signings, maybe we’re aiming to get two or three top players and pay them handsome wages (perhaps around what Jack’s new wages would be), and each season we place higher in the league, all the players get better contracts or bonuses.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

I'm with Alan Nixon here, get the first big signing come in and the rest will follow. They'll see were trying to build a team to push and not a relegation candidate which we are currently. 

We need our Robinhio

11 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Let’s put this to bed right now, nobody will be obtaining Tammy Abraham for a “reasonable” price. It’ll be £40m+, and I personally wouldn’t pay it, I honestly don’t think Tammy will go any levels higher than he has just done. He misses a lot of chances and can go quite a few games without scoring. The majority of his goals tend to arrive earlier in the season and in clusters of a few games. I think that’s why Chelsea finished last season with Giroud as their No.1 CF, and he scored a good few in that Chelsea team, and ppl generally view giroud as a non scoring hold up CF. 

I don't get this writing off Tammy. He's still only 22 years old and won't be hitting his peak for another 4/5 years. With proper coaching he can become world class. He may be a little inconsistent, but he's young, hungry and wants to play. I really don't get this writing him off already. 

I get it is an unlikely transfer, he will only move if he thinks he won't get the playing time at Chelsea or Chelsea don't see him as a long term option. Should he move on, then given the season he had with us I think we would be in the frame. Would I pay £40million for him? Well, it isn't my money and I would love to see him back at Villa, so yeah, why not? Do I think it is likely? Probably not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OxfordVillan said:

There isn’t much that Alan Nixon writes that I can chime with, but he’s right to say that we need to land a big one. It’s been said by one or two of us in the last few weeks, the need to lay down a marker, and the requirement to pay over the odds if necessary to blow the opposition away. I’m a little surprised that we haven’t done/offered enough to land whoever our primary target might be, as that would surely open the door for other targets to arrive having seen the intent and ambition. To progress up the Premier League food chain we will have to pay big for two or three signings, we have to nail down our “Robinho”.  I’d be slightly concerned if nothing is completed in the next week, as to me this would signal that we’re not putting the serious £s on the table to get the 1st choice players through the door. If you’re serious about getting what you want then you put the money up early to make sure nobody else muscles in. 

Totally agree but as I (and others) have stated seeing that intent and ambition is also critical for Jack staying too.

I mean if I was Weston McKennie And saw Villa had just bought a £40m ST (with more to come) and Jack confirmed he is staying I’d be itching to sign.

If Tammy was available at £40m then I don’t think we’d be being linked to Edouard at £30m+.

I think we’d need to bid c£50m and I just don’t think he‘s worth it at that price.

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

Ollie Watkins.

Sign him and hype him up as a marque signing.

He’s not a marque signing by any stretch of the imagination, don’t think we could fool anybody with that.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Ollie Watkins.

Sign him and hype him up as a marque signing.

No one outside England would have heard of him, just like no one anywhere had heard of Wesley last summer, no matter how much money we spend on them.

We need proven internationals or stand out talents. Rashica, Thauvin and even Edouard or Weston McKennie would be statement signings.

Watkins or Matty Cash would not be. Not saying they might not be solid signings for the right money.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sne said:

No one outside England would have heard of him, just like no one anywhere had heard of Wesley last summer, no matter how much money we spend on them.

We need proven internationals or stand out talents. Rashica, Thauvin and even Edouard or Weston McKennie would be statement signings.

Watkins or Matty Cash would not be. Not saying they might not be solid signings for the right money.

Depends what you mean by statement signing - but none of these are IMO.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, rayk said:

If Tammy was available at £40m then I don’t think we’d be being linked to Edouard at £30m+.

I think we’d need to bid c£50m and I just don’t think he‘s worth it at that price.

Have to disagree, played in this league, scored goals, played with a lot of the Villa players previously and knows Dean and works well under his system and is young.  I would pay a premium for the least risk possible.  

We don’t know how Edouard would do in the PL, looks to have talent but we are at a crossroads that we shouldn’t be taking too many risks until we are established in the PL.

• Like 1

Completely agree, Matty Cash in particular would just give everyone the feeling we’re buying the same sort of player as last season.

I’m not sure about Thauvi, but yes Rashica, McKennie and Edouard would all be fantastic signings.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Depends what you mean by statement signing - but none of these are IMO.

Yeah guess so. For where we are currently I doubt we can attract players at a higher level than that. And even these guys will have clubs in the top leagues competing in Europe as likely more attractive options.

Names like Tammy are IMO a pipe dream this summer.

6 minutes ago, sne said:

None of those are really statement signings in my view.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Have to disagree, played in this league, scored goals, played with a lot of the Villa players previously and knows Dean and works well under his system and is young.  I would pay a premium for the least risk possible.  

We don’t know how Edouard would do in the PL, looks to have talent but we are at a crossroads that we shouldn’t be taking too many risks until we are established in the PL.

But that’s what I’m saying, no way would we be after Edouard at £30m+ if we could get Tammy for just another £10m.

But £50m would be too much for Tammy imo.

6 minutes ago, rayk said:

But that’s what I’m saying, no way would we be after Edouard at £30m+ if we could get Tammy for just another £10m.

But £50m would be too much for Tammy imo.

We won’t be just talking to one striker (or his club and agent) we will be talking to several as you don’t put all your eggs in one basket until you are close to the end and from the outside we don’t seem to be close to anything.

i’m not sure we’d get Edouard for 30m either...might even go to 40m.  For me Tammy if available for 50m, I’d snap their hands off.  Too many failures in the PL around the 30-40m including the likes of Joelinton, so show me where to sign for Tammy.

Edited by nick76