Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Quite simply if we'd had Tammy up front instead of Wesley/Samatta last season we'd have been safe weeks before the end of the season and finished mid lower table. 

Absolutely and I have no doubt we tried to sign him and told he was unavailable.

Frankly even with Wes, if we’d signed Maupay and Benrahma (instead of Trez) we’d have been safe well before the season end.

1 hour ago, rayk said:

But that’s what I’m saying, no way would we be after Edouard at £30m+ if we could get Tammy for just another £10m.

But £50m would be too much for Tammy imo.

I dont think it would be to much for him, hes done the business, fits into Smith style, Young, international and has scored a load in the premier last season.

50 mill for that compared to 25 mill for Watkins and 40-45 for Edouard, it all makes sense to try Chelsea out and make a bid. Out of all the strikers, we have seen what Tammy can do for us, he played pretty much everywhere he could be on the pitch and his presence was most of the time a constant threat. I remember Tammy as proper ball chasing, the kind of player who never gave up chasing the ball and making important interceptions. Tammy ran all over the field for us and that even included him putting in some good defensive showing as well. The lad knows what to do and hes had good training at chelsea another reason why it would be worth going after him for 50 million because hes been trained by a top premier club.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Think about how much we could be paying for Watkins-25 to 30 mill and again with Edouard- 30 to 45 mill, wouldn't everyone sooner buy Tammy for 50 mill knowing that he's actually scored in this league.

Just like you said that is pretty much alot less riskier and no where near as many wasted millions. Signing Tammy at 50 mill compared to the possible prices for Watkins and Edouard looks a steal to be fair.

The conversation started by someone else was that we might be able to get him for £40m, I said at least £50m and that I wouldn’t pay that price.

After the experience of losing Wes for half a season through injury (however bad he was) it would be risky to blow half your transfer budget on one player if he then got injured.

Anyway, it’s a moot point because everything at this point suggests Tammy is not for sale.

Tammy arrives and cost £50m I wouldn't be too bothered as long as he smashed the goals home..  surely his value could only increase anyway?

When you have players like Maguire moving for £80m and Siggersson at £50m then £50m for a proven striker in Tammy Abraham is good business in today's game.

Will we get him in... ? That's a whole different question.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rayk said:

Absolutely and I have no doubt we tried to sign him and told he was unavailable.

Frankly even with Wes, if we’d signed Maupay and Benrahma (instead of Trez) we’d have been safe well before the season end.

That was then though this is now where chelsea look to send there spending well over the 220 million mark.

Do they need Tammy, not so much anymore do they and may feel to sell him with how little game time he will get and how unhappy he is by not getting a better contract.

You look at the tweets this morning from there fans in regards to them possible signing Havertz, Chilwell and Silva next week and alot are saying sell Tammy as well.

4 minutes ago, rayk said:

The conversation started by someone else was that we might be able to get him for £40m, I said at least £50m and that I wouldn’t pay that price.

After the experience of losing Wes for half a season through injury (however bad he was) it would be risky to blow half your transfer budget on one player if he then got injured.

Anyway, it’s a moot point because everything at this point suggests Tammy is not for sale.

But we do not exactly know what our transfer budget is, could be lower could be higher, that's just media speculation. With rich wealthy Owners like ours I'm pretty sure it would be close to what we spend last year, for all we know could be even more. Our Owners they know that it's time for phase 2 of the rebuild and quality does not come cheap.

So your saying chelsea wont look at recouping some of what they could be potentially spending on there new three players next week. Again I'll say it when you start spe doing over 200 mill you have to start selling somewhere right??

Edited by Dave-R

Just now, Dave-R said:

But we do not exactly know what our transfer budget is, could be lower could be higher, that's just media speculation. With rich wealthy Owners like ours I'm pretty sure it would be close to what we spend last year, for all we know could be even more. Our Owners they know that it's time for phase 2 of the rebuild and quality does not come cheap.

Of course, just going on the £100m for 4-5 players rumour.

5 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Tammy arrives and cost £50m I wouldn't be too bothered as long as he smashed the goals home..  surely his value could only increase anyway?

When you have players like Maguire moving for £80m and Siggersson at £50m then £50m for a proven striker in Tammy Abraham is good business in today's game.

Will we get him in... ? That's a whole different question.

Can't agree with you there mate, especially if our budget is circa 100 mill (Obviously just rumoured) no way I blow half of that on Tammy.

He is good, but I think us on here MASSIVELY overrate him, and when you get to that price level it opens up a new level of player. IMO of course.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Can't agree with you there mate, especially if our budget is circa 100 mill (Obviously just rumoured) no way I blow half of that on Tammy.

He is good, but I think us on here MASSIVELY overrate him, and when you get to that price level it opens up a new level of player. IMO of course.

Agreed. I personally wouldn't want to spend more than £30m on Abraham which Chelsea probably wouldn't sell him for anyway. £50m is too much.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I’m with Rigo and would blow half the budget on Tammy.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I agree I too do not think it would be that high amount (if it were to happen) but I equally wouldn't be fussed if it happened to materialise and that was the amount.

I would expect any figure to be in the range of £35m-£50m bracket.

1 minute ago, rayk said:

Of course, just going on the £100m for 4-5 players rumour.

I do understand your concerns about one player being worth 50 mill and if he gets injured but that's the risk we run anyway with just bringing in just a few players that are of quality. If we want to make sure we have back up for the possible injured then it looks like we should be buying a bunch of signings like last season because it would be quantity over quality by adding depth to the squad. 

Can we do depth and quality in one window, most likely not, it looks like it's either one or the other. Thing is if we dont add quality and go for quantity by making just a load of signings like last season it risk us annoying Grealish if things dont work out. I dont think we have any choice but to go for someone like Tammy, him and Grealish enjoyed a fantastic relationship as did Tammy with alot of players at that time, he fits in the squad automatically with little adjustment period. As someone pointed out just it isnt our money it's the clubs and I'm sure if they knew Tammy could be gotten Smith would be saying let's grab the lad.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I’d rather not throw out names as that will just spark debate about those names and take things off topic.

For me a statement signing is a signing that demonstrates the intention of a club to significantly progress and compete at a new level. So Juniniho at Boro for instance or Robiniho at City. Klinsmann at Spurs is another example.

Signings that make everyone sit up in shock and say “how have they signed him?” And the consequence is that other players follow.

In my opinion and it is just my opinion those names mentioned and the players we are being linked with just aren’t those sort of signings. 

They might be good players and people might take note of what we are spending but they aren’t stars, they aren’t statement signings by my definition.

Fair. I think the Belotti shout from  @Wezbid is a good one in terms of the shock factor - not least on here.  

1 minute ago, Okonokos said:

Agreed. I personally wouldn't want to spend more than £30m on Abraham which Chelsea probably wouldn't sell him for anyway. £50m is too much.

I know you said we wouldn’t get him for 30m but how can you not value a PL Young goal scorer for more than 30m.  That’s like the Man U fans saying they wouldn’t pay more than 40-50m for Jack...no relation to what transfer fee rates are currently.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I’d rather not throw out names as that will just spark debate about those names and take things off topic.

For me a statement signing is a signing that demonstrates the intention of a club to significantly progress and compete at a new level. So Juniniho at Boro for instance or Robiniho at City. Klinsmann at Spurs is another example.

Signings that make everyone sit up in shock and say “how have they signed him?” And the consequence is that other players follow.

In my opinion and it is just my opinion those names mentioned and the players we are being linked with just aren’t those sort of signings. 

They might be good players and people might take note of what we are spending but they aren’t stars, they aren’t statement signings by my definition.

So we need to sign Messi then? :P 

I'd love us to sign a player of the calibre you're referring to here but I just can't see it. Though, the type of names you're thinking of might be difficult to the type of names I'm thinking of of course. Had we finished a few places higher last season and not been involved in a relegation scrap until the final day then I think the chances of signing better quality players would increase, providing we're willing to throw enough money at them in terms of wages. 

Though, for where we are right now, I can't see us pulling in any "how have they signed him?" type signings. Think we're far more likely to sign players from the Championship. Though, I hope i'm wrong and we manage to pull a rabbit out of the hat. 

I wouldn't blink at signing Tammy for 40-50m. He's not an all round superstar with bags of tricks but he is a natural goal scorer and will be for the next 10 years. Exactly what we need.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I know you said we wouldn’t get him for 30m but how can you not value a PL Young goal scorer for more than 30m.  That’s like the Man U fans saying they wouldn’t pay more than 40-50m for Jack...no relation to what transfer fee rates are currently.

I don't rate him that highly. He's good but not great. And certainly not as valuable to Chelsea as Grealish is to us.

• Like 1