Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

6 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Kodjia was absolutely useless both last season and our promotion season. Stood around way to much and hardly made the most of his ability. We need some luck with a striker because between all of them from, Kodjia, Samatta, Wesley, Davis, all of them have struggled massively to play decent games. Fair play to Wesley he got injured, he put some in the net and hes the only one who I think could offer us hope if we dont sign a striker this window, other than Wesley I would just get Vasilev in there if it came down to it that we had no striker signed.

You missed me saying in the previous posts about the two bad knee injuries he got in May 2017 and then on international duty early the next season. Yeah it was silly for us to think he could be decent back up in premier league (I actually think DS would've happily flogged him last summer but we messed up our recruitment so he needed to be kept for six more months) when he'd sttruggled in championship compared to his level in 16/17 and before for Bristol City.

Kozak was another who was scoring goals at better rate than Wesley and the leg break completely ruined him, looked a pub player in 15/16 and that Derby away game where he had to be subbed for his own good.

That's why I don't really understand this expectation being put on Wesley. Guy's had a very serious injury, probably won't be back until November and it wasn't like he was amazing in premier league when he got injured, he had about 3 good games (Everton, Norwich and Burnley). Personally if he's back in Nov I'd get a few sub appearances out of him and then send him on loan in January for him to score goals in weaker league and get his fitness and confidence back and then we can decide what to do next summer.

Under no circumstances can he be our starting striker at any point in the league this season otherwise it's just going to be a repeat of last year.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, nick76 said:

See I'm 50/50 on that.  Tammy has done it at this level and with our team/players before and knows Smith's way........both Edouard and Watkins are a risk, both look good but who knows if they will be a success at PL level or with this team.  On the opposite side of that, we have two young players and surely one, if not both, should be successful.  If a gun to my head then I would go Tammy plus let's say Rashica and Benrahma and McKennie with the hope that Wes comes good.

Could always sign Tammy, Edouard AND Watkins and just loan in the other 2-3 positions as that would take up pretty much take up the 100m and significantly increase the wage bill. Then can certainly loan out Davis and try to sell Samatta on and that leaves us 3 central strikers with at least one being able to play wide. It's something a top 6 club would do actually.

Pretty much what Chelsea have done. Already got Tammy and Giroud in mix, add Werner and Ziyech and so got nice range of options and if one wants to leave they'll get a fair old price for him. Whereas we always seem to want to sell first and then replacement clubs bump up their prices by 10/15m.

More I think about it the more that's the most realistic statement of intent summer window we could have by signing our 3 striker targets, would certainly convince Jack to give us at least another 12 months.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Tammy scored 5 in his previous season in the premier league sandwiched between his 2 championship seasons where he scored basically the same number of goals. He is also among the most wasteful strikers in the league behind gabriel jesus and firminho.

He was a 19 year old rookie playing in a very poor Swansea team who were relegated. That's a very unfair comment. He's different gravy now. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

He was a 19 year old rookie playing in a very poor Swansea team who were relegated. That's a very unfair comment. He's different gravy now. 

But he didn't show substantial improvement between the season prior and his season with us. So to me the 10 goal improvement came from playing for a team that was pretty much going to finish 4th this season without him given they rose multiple places after they started playing giroud in place of him. 

Just now, MotoMkali said:

But he didn't show substantial improvement between the season prior and his season with us. So to me the 10 goal improvement came from playing for a team that was pretty much going to finish 4th this season without him given they rose multiple places after they started playing giroud in place of him. 

I pray to God Chelsea and other Premier League teams think like you.  We should pick up this average 10 goal a season striker for about £20m tops with zero competition for his signature and Chelsea keen to offload. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, colhint said:

Fan base and History. They have spent most of their time out of the top flight, and before Revie were no body. The rugby league team were bigger Sure they cheated a few times in the 70's when we had an average higher attendance in the third.  We also have a much better squad with 6 soon to be seven internationals. And hopefully we will be able to say to anyone we target we will have spent £250m on players in the last 2 years.

jeff stelling worshiping  belsa and leeds

21 minutes ago, colhint said:

Fan base and History. They have spent most of their time out of the top flight, and before Revie were no body. The rugby league team were bigger Sure they cheated a few times in the 70's when we had an average higher attendance in the third.  We also have a much better squad with 6 soon to be seven internationals. And hopefully we will be able to say to anyone we target we will have spent £250m on players in the last 2 years.

Agreed, but I’ve run out of likes again. Can anyone tell me how many you’re allowed a day?

47 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

No Tammy has not done it at this level. Playing for Chelsea and playing for us are 2 completely different things. We are talking about a team who had Willian, jorghinho, kante, Pulisic with azlilicueta as a rb. If we signed Tammy in all likelihood we would be 2 injuries away from playing games with the same team as we ended last season with.

And while I back Tammy to score more than Davis and samatta because he would actually get on the end of balls I think he would also squander just as many and we wouldn't be in a position to create the volume of chances he needs to score. In fact most games I would rather have wesley over Tammy anyway as I think wesley offers more in the build up play and doesn't require as many chances to get in the score sheet. 

lets go running GIF by Turner Classic Movies

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

He scored many goals in premier league and also notched a couple in CL.

Realistically he's the most proven striker we could get this summer e.g. knows premier league, knows our set up and also young enough for what we tend to sign in key areas. Even then it's not that realistic as I think likes of Leicester would be in for him as they need a long term Vardy replacment soon, maybe Everton aswell as he's obviously better than Calvert Lewin.

If you don't think much of Tammy then I'd intrigued to know what you think of the majority of strikers we've signed in last decade as it's not a great sight!

Other mates who don't follow Villa can never understand why we keep gambling in that position and are always on to me why we can't sign a reliable striker e.g. get someone in like we did with John Carew in 2007.

With Chelsea spending a fortune on forward players this summer it is hard to see where Tammy fits in, they were happy to sell him before their ban and I think they will happily sell him this summer.

Not sure if we would be in for him or not, personally I'm really torn on it.

I don’t think his fee, not that I know what that would be, is the main problem. The problem is that he’ll want £150k a week and I’m sorry to go against the majority but whist I think he’s decent he’s not at that level. Ok if we judge him against Samatha and Davis then he’s great, but I think we can spend our money more wisely. Are any other clubs showing much interest in him?