Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Maybe not in terms of the entire history of the world, but 12 years ago in football is a lifetime - the game has changed massively in that time. 

the older you get the concept of time changes dramatically but get your point 

11 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

For anyone who was in the Edouard thread yesterday, for the love of god don’t show this to Rayk... 🤪

Yeah, had interest from Premier League clubs on Twitter and Clickbait tabloids........ But clearly no actual genuine interest or he wouldn't be on his way to Celtic. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Wezbid said:

Belotti would be a statement signing. 

He reminds me a lot of Alan Shearer. The only thing he really lacks for the Premier League with a £50m+ price tag is real pace.

31 minutes ago, rayk said:

£50m is what I reckon the minimum Tammy would go for. In the same way you say you’d snap their hands off at that price, I’d snap Celtic’s hands off to get Edouard at £30m. The point being that there will always be - as you agree - a premium for a player like Tammy over Edouard.

So if Edouard is £40m, Tammy becomes a c£60m player.

The backdrop has to be our transfer budget and if it’s £100m then we’re not going to be spending more than £30m on a ST, given the other areas we need upgrading on.

Quite simply if we'd had Tammy up front instead of Wesley/Samatta last season we'd have been safe weeks before the end of the season and finished mid lower table. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, rayk said:

£50m is what I reckon the minimum Tammy would go for. In the same way you say you’d snap their hands off at that price, I’d snap Celtic’s hands off to get Edouard at £30m. The point being that there will always be - as you agree - a premium for a player like Tammy over Edouard.

So if Edouard is £40m, Tammy becomes a c£60m player.

The backdrop has to be our transfer budget and if it’s £100m then we’re not going to be spending more than £30m on a ST, given the other areas we need upgrading on.

Again I don’t think you are right re you last sentence.  We know that a striker is key that if we do have 100m which is unknown we have to go through priority list with funds and if we don’t get all our targets so be it.

Anyway it’s who Dean prefers, who our competition is and the bidding war that ensues and if the player wants to come.  Edouard seems to have a lot of fans including Leicester so it may not even be a choice for us and who knows what his final fee might be.  Tammy might not even be available.  So neither maybe available to us.  If we get a chance of one then we do it whichever it is because it’ll be unlikely we’ll have a choice.

17 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

For anyone who was in the Edouard thread yesterday, for the love of god don’t show this to Rayk... 🤪

Thought someone in here said he'd signed with Bayern maybe fiv... twel........ some number of pages back?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

There isn’t much that Alan Nixon writes that I can chime with, but he’s right to say that we need to land a big one. It’s been said by one or two of us in the last few weeks, the need to lay down a marker, and the requirement to pay over the odds if necessary to blow the opposition away. I’m a little surprised that we haven’t done/offered enough to land whoever our primary target might be, as that would surely open the door for other targets to arrive having seen the intent and ambition. To progress up the Premier League food chain we will have to pay big for two or three signings, we have to nail down our “Robinho”.  I’d be slightly concerned if nothing is completed in the next week, as to me this would signal that we’re not putting the serious £s on the table to get the 1st choice players through the door. If you’re serious about getting what you want then you put the money up early to make sure nobody else muscles in. 

Big one I'm guessing this summer is Rashica and he dosen't want to come at this point. Wouldn't say big ones are players from SPL or championship personally but again they're not easy to sign either

Last big transfer we really made was Darren Bent although of course that had opposite effect and we sold Young and Downing six months later.

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Quite simply if we'd had Tammy up front instead of Wesley/Samatta last season we'd have been safe weeks before the end of the season and finished mid lower table. 

100%.... add Benrahma, no injuries to SJM and TH and we would have been top 10 

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, had interest from Premier League clubs on Twitter and Clickbait tabloids........ But clearly no actual genuine interest or he wouldn't be on his way to Celtic. 

I think that Mike McGrath talks utter nonsense...he linked us to Trippier, which is never happening. Hearts had a bid accepted from both Bayern and Bologna for Hickey (he also visited both clubs), and Celtic have yet to even make a bid. If they do, every chance it will be a derisory bid and they will lose him to another team just like they did with McGinn. That said, i still think hickey would be a worthy investment for Villa at only 2m. 😃

Edited by LockStockVilla

4 minutes ago, the_eristic said:

Thought someone in here said he'd signed with Bayern maybe fiv... twel........ some number of pages back?

Might have been me. That was the reporting at the time.

Another reason to not truly believe anything until they're wearing or holding the shirt.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Have to disagree, played in this league, scored goals, played with a lot of the Villa players previously and knows Dean and works well under his system and is young.  I would pay a premium for the least risk possible.  

We don’t know how Edouard would do in the PL, looks to have talent but we are at a crossroads that we shouldn’t be taking too many risks until we are established in the PL.

Think about how much we could be paying for Watkins-25 to 30 mill and again with Edouard- 30 to 45 mill, wouldn't everyone sooner buy Tammy for 50 mill knowing that he's actually scored in this league.

Just like you said that is pretty much alot less riskier and no where near as many wasted millions. Signing Tammy at 50 mill compared to the possible prices for Watkins and Edouard looks a steal to be fair.

• Like 2

Has anyone mentioned André Silva, Portugese ST at AC Milan who’s done well this season on loan to Eintracht Frankfurt.

The previous season he was on loan (and did well) at Sevilla, so maybe we could get him on loan with an option to buy?

Given Mendes is his agent, I reckon he’s on Wolves target list should Jimenez gets sold.

Edited by rayk

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Ah the heady innocent days when £32.5 million could actually get you a superstar signing. 

In summer 2008 we spent that amount of midfielders and defenders:

Friedel (3m)

Luke Young (6m)

Shorey (5m)

Cuellar (8m)

Sidwell (5m)

And on the last day of window Milner came in for 12m.

Probably showed why we could never quite break into the elite under MON. Many of them were solid players for us (Shorey and Sidwell flopped) but it was again a case of buying bulk instead of getting those 2-3 who can offer match winning ability at both ends. Another two Milner types and we could've made the top 4 that season.

Samu Chukuweze would be a statement signing imo. Regular for Villareal and linked to CL clubs but I don't think he's ready for that yet. Quick wide player and given Villareal have signed a high number of players already I get the feeling they'll cash in on him next 12 months for 35-40m.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Awol said:

Can you pull a name out of the hat, not that you think we’ll sign but could be gettable and would make that kind of statement? 

I’d rather not throw out names as that will just spark debate about those names and take things off topic.

For me a statement signing is a signing that demonstrates the intention of a club to significantly progress and compete at a new level. So Juniniho at Boro for instance or Robiniho at City. Klinsmann at Spurs is another example.

Signings that make everyone sit up in shock and say “how have they signed him?” And the consequence is that other players follow.

In my opinion and it is just my opinion those names mentioned and the players we are being linked with just aren’t those sort of signings. 

They might be good players and people might take note of what we are spending but they aren’t stars, they aren’t statement signings by my definition.

• Like 3