Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

12 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

There was the VAR ruled out goal against Crystal Palace where he didn’t even attempt to head the ball, and Sakho armed it in to the net. There was that balls up that let Dwight Gayle score for Newcastle... 

I’m not a hater by any means and I like him, I’m just concerned it’s too much too soon for him in a way.

He also spent time sorting and fixing errors made by Mings... More than once.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

there's nowhere to hide though for defenders/keepers. odd mistakes will be punished. the top defenders do them too. it's the ones that make them regularly that then become questioned. it's not like he's looked suspect regularly

Yeah, fair enough mate :) I’m not fully convinced but I trust the management team to know where we need to strengthen

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

There was the VAR ruled out goal against Crystal Palace where he didn’t even attempt to head the ball, and Sakho armed it in to the net. There was that balls up that let Dwight Gayle score for Newcastle... 

I’m not a hater by any means and I like him, I’m just concerned it’s too much too soon for him in a way.

Gave a terrible goal away against Watford and was very poor against Leicester just off the top of my head. Even on the last day, he made a complete mess of a simple straight ball forward, and let Antonio through on goal. Not writing him off, but we could and should look to improve. We had the second worst defence in the league last season, and the consensus seems to be that we don't need defenders!

9 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

there's nowhere to hide though for defenders/keepers. odd mistakes will be punished. the top defenders do them too. it's the ones that make them regularly that then become questioned. it's not like he's looked suspect regularly

I remember getting taken to the cleaners against Southampton I think it was. He has had more than a couple of bad games last season. Needed to fill out a bit (was regularly beaten for strength), and he did look stronger after the restart. The weakest of our centre backs in the air. 

Would be good back up ideally. As it is Engels (human bus) is rightly back up. Would love to replace Engels with Tuanzube and have him compete with Konsa for the starting spot.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

Most of the wingers we're being linked to aren't much better than Wilson, it's a case of Wilson is being underrated and some of the others Buendia, Benrahma are being overrated, when really there isn't that much difference in quality.

I agree with you, I’d be happy with any of those players

So based on current links we could see the below...

Watkins - £22.5m

McKennie - £20m

Rashica - £22.5m

That would be a great start, leaving us with close to £35m for another striker and either a GK or LB, and that's if we won't be spending more than the rumoured £100m budget.

Would be very happy with that.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Is anyone else not fully convinced by Konsa... I mean he got a lot better after the break but he still made a few silly errors. Should we be looking for a new CB partner for Mings too? I saw Engels in training, but not sure if he’s back in the fold or not.

Decent back up. Not seeing the CL England international in waiting that many on here do. 

Would like us to sign another 1st choice CB.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

Decent back up. Not seeing the CL England international in waiting that many on here do. 

Would like us to sign another 1st choice CB.

totally agree, he looked almost the part the last few games but will he delivered that all season, I think not, we need a top quality there, someone to control and fine tune Mings.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Is anyone else not fully convinced by Konsa... I mean he got a lot better after the break but he still made a few silly errors. Should we be looking for a new CB partner for Mings too? I saw Engels in training, but not sure if he’s back in the fold or not.

I think he is really good attacking wise but I'm not fully convinced by him defensively. He has superb passing ability, technique and is very comfortable on the ball, but defensively he is not yet solid enough and not strong enough. The latter he can work on, but as he has played so many games as CB and still sometimes makes mistakes when it comes to positioning I'm not sure if he will become a top class defender. I thought he was really good at RB, would prefer to have someone of Mings class as CB and Konsa as RB as it is now. I think bringing in a new top class CB is really important for us. Happy to have Konsa as back up or RB, and see him continue to improve.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

That is simply not correct. 

Sometimes I get the feeling you work for a Russian troll factory and have mistaken VillaTalk for a democracy forum or something.

That is seriously funny but, I like Villalad21's posts. He has a unique way of looking at things sometimes, most of the times, but, we all have our own opinions on how we see things. I mean, for a while last season, even I was questioning if Dean Smith was up to the task, after being convinced we should stick by him no matter what. 

I just hope that the board have someone in place now who can find/get Deano the players with enough quality to not have another relegation battle. If we could have a comfortable season and finish anywhere above 14th that would be some platform to move on from. 

I expect better from every one of our signings from last summer as they should now be somewhat settled and more understanding of how each other plays. Add some quality to them and hopefully we can have a good season. 

Edited by Villarocker
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

So based on current links we could see the below...

Watkins - £22.5m

McKennie - £20m

Rashica - £22.5m

That would be a great start, leaving us with close to £35m for another striker and either a GK or LB, and that's if we won't be spending more than the rumoured £100m budget.

Would be very happy with that.

Add Edouard or Weghorst to that and get a goalkeeper on loan. Then any sales can add to us trying to get a young full back.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

That is simply not correct. 

Sometimes I get the feeling you work for a Russian troll factory and have mistaken VillaTalk for a democracy forum or something.

He has got one of the worst defending stats in the league.

I was wrong about the goals against stat, but he is right up there with errors leading to shots against that's including goals (2)

I don't like him as a defender. He often relies on last ditch clearances. That's not good defending, that's just desperate defending. Too often i've seen him turning his back away after a shot is fired.

I like the man, not a fan of the player. I think we can do much, much better than Mings.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I was wrong about the goals against stat, but he is right up there with errors leading to shots against that's including goals (2)

I don't like him as a defender. He often relies on last ditch clearances. That's not good defending, that's just desperate defending. Too often i've seen him turning his back away after a shot is fired.

I like the man, not a fan of the player. I think we can do much, much better than Mings.

Do you agree he’s our best centre half though? Or do you think he should be 3rd or 4th choice?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'm not sure what statistics that is, but I'm generally sceptic to drawing too many conclusions on that, it's so subjective what an error is and how an action leads to a goal or not, that it's not very reliable in my opinion.

I think we interpret his last ditch clearences and tackles very differently. That is one of the things I like the most with Mings, he is almost the only one imo that spots danger and throws his body about, where others just stand still or goes for the block. I think his reading of the game is top class, the same with his positioning and his man marking, the only one of our defenders who is a complete player and a proper defender in that sense imo. He is also often the one giving instructions and helping others out. Sure he makes some mistakes, as everyone, but his importance to our defence is immense to me. Add to that his arial ability and who good he is passing wise. There are very few defenders in the PL that I would swap Mings for.

He seems to be sligthly injury prone though, hence more important that we bring in another CB. Who would you like us to go for? If we are going for a cheap option I think looking at Craaig Dawson or Shane Duffy would make sense. Would most of all want someone better though, too bad we missed out on Adam Webster.  

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

2 errors leading to goals. a stat shared with 10 other premier league defenders.