Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He scored 7 Premier League goals last season. In my opinion, that’s not a bad return for a winger. I think generally our expectations of players are high, they are not superhuman, they aren’t going to perform miracles every week. In my opinion, Harry Wilson would be a good signing for us

Do you seriously think he's worth 20 million? There are so many players out there we could get for the money who are much superior to Wilson. Just have a look what the Bournemouth fans think of him.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/08/20/report-aston-villa-now-very-interested-in-signing-player-who-called-his-own-team-rubbish/

Now linked with a RW, Florian Thauvin from Marseille. Always liked the guy and thought that Newcastle had bought a fantastic player, but he flopped and has now been playing the last 3 or 4 season for Marseille.

1 minute ago, Taxahunter said:

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/08/20/report-aston-villa-now-very-interested-in-signing-player-who-called-his-own-team-rubbish/

Now linked with a RW, Florian Thauvin from Marseille. Always liked the guy and thought that Newcastle had bought a fantastic player, but he flopped and has now been playing the last 3 or 4 season for Marseille.

Much better than Wilson.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think that’s exactly what they have done with Harry Wilson, Liverpool have loaned him out several times to develop him. At the end of the day, he isn’t going to displace Mo Salah any time soon. He’d be great for us I think, I seem to be the only one to think that. I will check on a Bournemouth forum now

Harry Wilson doesn't fit with the tactics at Liverpool has no chance there. Pace and scoring is essential for their wingers to have and that just isn't Harry Wilson. Wilson more in the De Bryne mold. Passing, set pieces rather than pace and skills.

7 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He scored 7 Premier League goals last season. In my opinion, that’s not a bad return for a winger. I think generally our expectations of players are high, they are not superhuman, they aren’t going to perform miracles every week. In my opinion, Harry Wilson would be a good signing for us

How do you rate his overall contribution in general play for them?

Thoughts on this window so far:

Almost every player linked apart from possibly Watkins is most likely not happening and I feel our first signing will come out of the blue considering our management and scouting structure now. 

If I were to pick one 'must have' it would be a DCM, not because I don't trust Nakamba (I think in time he could become excellent btw) but to provide real depth in a super important role. That man for me needs to be Weston McKennie and we should be going all out to get him. 

I think we will bring in 4-5 players max, that being two wingers, a striker, DCM and ideally competition for Guilbert. A new goalkeeper who is of suitable experience and standard will be hard to come by. 

And **** hell I hope Jack stays. 

45 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I do not think wed have to go for the most expensive signings,we could still pick better for what Brentford are asking for those two. We would be paying near enough 30 mill a player for Rahma and Watkins from EFl. Are we not all 1000% sure there is better, much better abroad at 30 million, there has to be.

Honestly if we buy those Brentford lads at that price you may as well shove a sign up at Villa saying "bring your overpriced goods here we will take them"

Rashica and Edouard for 60 million would be better value for money. And I imagine you could easily get both of them for under 25mil a piece. 

• Like 4

I think another reason there hasn't been much movement is probably on how to spread the budget around what we need. For example, looking at the social media posts Heaton is back in pre season training. If he were to come through the friendlies we will no doubt have arranged unscathed and anything close to his old self then I think Dean would be happy to not bother looking at another keeper this window. However, if he looks off the pace or isn't fully recovered suddenly a chunk of the budget might need to be kept spare for a goalkeeper. 

We have missed a player like mckennie for donkeys years. His most valuable asset is his ability to cover multiple positions. Say if guilbert went down injured in the opening 20 minutes and Smith didn't want to bring on elmo because he isn't strong enough defensively he could move mckennie to rb and bring on nakamba or even hourihane. It allows you to bring on your best players off the bench whenever you want without having to worry about changing the system because you already of a player who can fit in that role. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

We have missed a player like mckennie for donkeys years. His most valuable asset is his ability to cover multiple positions. Say if guilbert went down injured in the opening 20 minutes and Smith didn't want to bring on elmo because he isn't strong enough defensively he could move mckennie to rb and bring on nakamba or even hourihane. It allows you to bring on your best players off the bench whenever you want without having to worry about changing the system because you already of a player who can fit in that role. 

You're making him sound suspiciously like Nigel Reo-Coker🤔

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He’s been out on loan a lot in that time. The fact that Liverpool have kept him for that long says to me that they rate him

Or haven’t been able to sell him.  He signed a contract in 2016 after being there since a kid and four seasons after that signed contract all he’s done is be out on loan and is likely to be sold this season or loaned out again after signing an update to his contract in 2018.  Teams sometimes keep players that have come through their youth system longer than they should including us.  He’s never going to get in the Liverpool squad is he.

Keeping somebody doesn’t equal rating somebody.  He’s a saleable asset to somebody at the right level for little outlay for Liverpool, I hope it’s not us.

• Like 2

Interesting to see that last summer we were linked to Harry Wilson and many liked the idea of us signing him, so can only imagine that the negative reaction to the link this summer is because of the season he's just had with Bournemouth, yet he scored seven goals in 1663 minutes of premier league football (that's about eighteen games worth) for a struggling Bournemouth team, put someone like Benrahma in the same team and give him the same amount of minutes and he'd be doing well to do any better, same for most of the other wingers we've been linked to.

Also I disagree with the idea that Wilson is a Hourihane type who only contributes set-pieces and the odd long range goal, he's nothing like Hourihane, Downnig would probably be a more accurate comparison.

I don't especially want us to sign him, but he'd definitely improve us and is better than many are giving him credit for.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Harry Wilson doesn't fit with the tactics at Liverpool has no chance there. Pace and scoring is essential for their wingers to have and that just isn't Harry Wilson. Wilson more in the De Bryne mold. Passing, set pieces rather than pace and skills.

More Conor than De Bruyne.  

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Quick maffs

About 30 million is the highest prices they have been quoted at. Rashica has been quoted at 23 million and looks to be around 25 million. And celtic are in deep financial doo doo if fans aren't allowed to come to games so may have to sell edouard for a bit cheaper. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Pretty sure that Smith has talked about adding pace to the side so I'd imagine he wouldn't really suit the direction we're going in either.

• Like 1

Interested whether any of the people that keep pointing back to his goal numbers (ignoring the fact a winger getting 0 assists is dire) have actually watched him or looked at the opinions of people who watched him all season.

There is no definitive link that I would find convincing to any player, including the three with their own threads (Rashica, Benrahma, Watkins).

And when I look at the myriad speculated players I would hope that we would be setting our sights higher to convince Grealish to remain.