Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

56 minutes ago, useless said:

Interesting to see that last summer we were linked to Harry Wilson and many liked the idea of us signing him, so can only imagine that the negative reaction to the link this summer is because of the season he's just had with Bournemouth, yet he scored seven goals in 1663 minutes of premier league football (that's about eighteen games worth) for a struggling Bournemouth team, put someone like Benrahma in the same team and give him the same amount of minutes and he'd be doing well to do any better, same for most of the other wingers we've been linked to.

Also the fact we had to buy a whole new squad last year as oppose to this year where we've got the same budget this year on 4/5 signings. Should be doing better than Wilson for 15mill (max anyone should pay for him). Probably more this reason

• Like 1

Most of the wingers we're being linked to aren't much better than Wilson, it's a case of Wilson is being underrated and some of the others Buendia, Benrahma are being overrated, when really there isn't that much difference in quality.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

£20m isn’t a lot of money in today’s market, Wilson is a Welsh international and we need a winger. In my opinion, we’d struggle to attract anyone better than him. He’s better than what we currently have too in my opinion 

With respect, we need a winger with pace.  We have enough who are handy with their feet but none who can turn the opposition onto its back foot 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

£20m isn’t a lot of money in today’s market, Wilson is a Welsh international and we need a winger. In my opinion, we’d struggle to attract anyone better than him. He’s better than what we currently have too in my opinion 

Whilst I agree £20mill is not a huge amount of money for a player these days, doesn't mean Wilson is worth even near that. Yes he can take set pieces, but 0 assists in 31 prem games is not good enough, and certainly not worth the £20mill they are probably demanding. being a Welsh international doesn't really mean anything other than you're an international player so I don't think that pushes the price up. Would be a good signing at £10m-£12m but that's just not gonna happen is it?

• Like 1

They really aren't, Buendia was only directly involved in one more goal than Wilson last season, and Buendia had much more game time, also Wilson scored seven goals to Buendia's one, so that's one way straight away in which Wilson is better, Benrahma hasn't even played in the premier league, a lot of the criticisms that are beng levelled at Wilson can also be levelled at him. I don't really want us to sign him as I don't think he's what we need, but Wilson is much better than people are giving him credit for and the idea that all he does is score free-kicks isn't true at all.

Edited by useless
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, useless said:

They really aren't, Buendia was only directly involved in one more goal than Wilson last season, and Buendia had much more game time, also Wilson scored seven goals to Buendia's one, so that's one way straight away in which Wilson is better, Benrahma hasn't even played in the premier league, a lot of the criticisms that are beng levelled at Wilson can also be levelled at him. I don't really want us to sign him as I don't think he's what we need, but Wilson is much better than people are giving him credit for and the idea that all he does is score free-kicks isn't true at all.

They really are. I've quoted a really useful post below from @MJ_1874 Look where Buendia is. Those are phenomenal stats for a wide player in comfortably the worst side in the league. You only have to watch Benrahma play to see he oozes class and ability. His ball control is superb. Wilson offers nothing like either of them. He's a dreadful player.

On 09/08/2020 at 13:48, MJ_1874 said:

I have been doing a bit of analysis on last years stats, I do quite a bit of data analysis for work and decided to see who the best young attacking players were last season.

An attacking players job is primary to create scoring chances and the best stats is 'shot created actions' or SCA per 90 i.e. their action leads to a shot.  I have adjusted it to allow for the fact not all teams have the ball for the same time.  The table below is quite interesting.  Shows best attacking players in the league 25 or under (at start of season) by my measure. 

It should come as no surprise to anyone Super Jack is the by far the best young attacking player in the league.  He is second on SCA90 and first on my adjusted SCA90.  Interesting SJM is pretty high up on the list showing why he was such a loss.  It terms of potential targets, Allan Saint-Maximin and Buendia are both really high up.  Both Deulofeu and Sarr would be quality additions and some potential cheaper options Dwight McNeil (if Burnley are broke and need the money), Ryan Fraser and Andreas Pereira (if united would sell for a decent price).  Interesting AEG is on the list so if probably worth keeping as a squad player.

image.png.a1a86f704f05b7af8447c283c00fd115.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

We have missed a player like mckennie for donkeys years. His most valuable asset is his ability to cover multiple positions. Say if guilbert went down injured in the opening 20 minutes and Smith didn't want to bring on elmo because he isn't strong enough defensively he could move mckennie to rb and bring on nakamba or even hourihane. It allows you to bring on your best players off the bench whenever you want without having to worry about changing the system because you already of a player who can fit in that role. 

I agree with this. However, I think the main attraction for him would be the promise of being able to make the No. 8 position his own and gain some consistency in that role. His versatility has been a double-edged sword for him at Schalke: because he can play just about anywhere, he does. As you've mentioned, it allows Schalke to get their best players onto the pitch. However, McKennie's weakness (and I can say this as someone who's watched him extensively) is the fine-tuning that comes with having consistently played a single position in a structured system. Now, fluidity is one thing, and that's great to have, but at this point, I think what McKennie needs (and what Villa would benefit from) is the promise of being/having that reliable presence in midfield. I'd love to see him and Luiz really establish that and reach their potential (as they're both still growing) within it.

3 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I've found another player I want us to buy - Denzel Dumfries. 24 year old who plays for PSV Eindhoven in Holland. He plays CB, RB and DM. He is a unit. Buy him now Deano and have two mountains at the back. 

Good player. Would be first choice RB for us.

Harry Wilson started last season well but by end he was just a sub bor Bournemouth when Brooks came back.

If we're seriously in for him then I assume our interest in Rashica is over as they're a similar price and can play out wide or as second striker so I couldn't see both coming in.

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

When did championship players start commanding these kind of fees?

Feels like it’s erupted in the past 2 or 3 years for some reason.

Its actually ridiculous when you think about it, second tier players going for £20M+

When we signed McCormack, Hogan and Kodj for nearly 40m! Before we came down anything over 5m was seen as a big transfer fee for a championship player.

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Maybe. He scored 7 of 40 goals for Bournemouth last season which was actually joint top league goalscorer for them.

Trez scored 6 league goals for us in the end which was a very good return but overall we know he isn't someone who can impact the game for even 60 minutes.

Most of Wilson's goals came early on in the season.

Just can't see this signing improving our first 11 enough considering he was just a sub for a relegated team.

Edit: I'd have certainly had him if we'd gone down but we need better now in our situation.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Not steel in the sense of a ball winner, no......but they have to have fight, determination and belief.....and an appetite for the fight.....not be put off so easily.

but wingers like giggs, overmars, Kanchelskis, robben, rosicky, Mahrez they don't give you a minutes peace....even our own Tony Morley, went for the jugular....i know i picking out the best to highlight the point.....we have to get as close as we can with the money available.....no better than what we have and parting with valuable dough, is the danger.

Even Ray Graydon is better than anything we have......how many goals did he score at the back post, made that post his happy hunting ground.....as was a billy wiz.

Young and Milner from a decade ago would also be very good examples of this TRO.

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Add the money we wasted on Trez and El Ghazi and that would be £40m spent on 3 wingers that aren’t PL standard

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Okonokos said:

This exactly sums him up then. He's a highlights player. He scores the odd good free kick and that's it. Tell me how a good winger gets 0 assists in a season?

Jota, not saying hes good but he doesnt play so that's how you get zero assists. 

Edited by Dave-R
  • Confused 1