Jack Grealish
Douglas Luiz

Strikers
Scott Hogan 🥶
Wesley Moraes
Keinan Davis
Mbwana Samatta
Indiana Vassilev

24 men (- Kalinic, Bree & Hogan) + 6/7 to that = 30/31 🤢 I think a recipe for disaster and discontent.

I like a tidy, small hyper-competitive squad. I like 18-21 man squad supplemented by Academy grads.

I'm still banging the drum for 4 Quality signings, with a capital Q, plus squad trimming. Adding 7 and trying to trim is too much IMO. 

I understand your point and a small hyper-competitive squad with genuine quality would be great. The concern is always a lot of injuries, which is always the unknown. That may be a bigger concern with the compacted season. I do think that there will be some wastage from that list.

I do have very fond memories of a squad of 13 that did very well all those years ago. 

Edited by DaveAV1

I don't think we would give up on Samatta yet anyway, I may be alone but I thought he showed some good signs before the lockdown and you would hope that is more typical of what he is capable of than what he did afterwards.  They really were strange circumstances to play your first half-season at a new club and in a new country.  This is unless he was a totally Suso signing and Smith never wanted him in the first place which is possible.

• Like 3

Posted this in the other thread but I’d rather have the player Brentford will probably replace Watkins with in Florian Balgoun and personally go for Schick or Edouard. 

Here’s obligatory YouTube videos... 

Leipzig apparently cannot afford both Rashica and Schick. Balgoun is a star in the making and better than Davis and Samatta IMO... 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Adam Rooney, Liam Boyce and Kris Boyd say Och Aye!

I’m sure SJM might have a thing or two to say as well. I moved up to the Highlands 3 years ago so I’d better watch what I’m saying! 

There’s an element of risk in all signings, which is lowered as the price increases. I know nothing about Edoardo to be honest, but he’s certainly getting rave notices. 

17 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I’d be extremely disappointed if Watkins is who we sign to solve our striker woes. It just feels like we’ve been here before with the likes of McCormack/Hogan/Kodjia. I just think we need to think a lot bigger than one decent season in the Championship. Deeney or Grabban would probably be less of a gamble and of course I definitely would want us to be signing them. 

I wouldn't touch Deeney with a barge pole. Not only is he a Nose, he doesn't score either. If goalkeepers stood upright when he takes penalties he literally wouldn't score at all ( apart from against us of course)

Really hope we don't sign one of these Youtube highlight superstars based on what I've seen.  You usually get 7 seconds of genius then the player goes missing for so long that the opposition and kits change. Next thing you know he's gone back in time 2 seasons to do a mazy dribble before time jumping again to an international youth game for a backheel.

I want players who want to play every minute for the club rather than flouncing around on a time travelling showboat tour.

• Like 1

I was excited when we were being linked to Ineacho, Origi and Abraham. 

Hoped for Benrahma or Buendia to provide the chances.

Now getting slightly worried we’re going to complete the window with Watkins (who I would absolutely take in addition to one of my first 3 mentioned but not as the star buy).

I've a feeling that Watkins will do really well in the premier league, you can't judge him from an highights video of his goals, his all round game this season has been incredible, almost like an hybrid of Keinan Davis and Tammy Abraham.

That said we've wasted so much money on strikers, that I think if we have to spend big again we have to be as sure as possible that if we spend big on one this summer it has to be for someone that's going to be as close to a guarantee of success in the premier league as it's possible to get, and I don't think Watkins represents that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Posted this in the other thread but I’d rather have the player Brentford will probably replace Watkins with in Florian Balgoun and personally go for Schick or Edouard. 

Leipzig apparently cannot afford both Rashica and Schick. Balgoun is a star in the making and better than Davis and Samatta IMO... 

Schick looks really good!

Since we bought Benteke, these are the strikers we've signed (probably missing some?)

Helenius £2m

Kozak £6m

Gestede £8m

Ayew £10m

Hogan £10m

Kodija £12m (Had one good season)

McCormack £12m

Wesley £22m (Could still come good)

Samatta £9m (Could still come good, though I seriously doubt so)

What a depressing list that is.. surely sooner or later we hit the jackpot again and find a decent striker!

Another depressing list:

Hutton

Jedinak

Gabby

Richards

N'Zogbia

McCormack

Could even include;

Kieran Richardson

Joleon Lescott

Which is players that have retired, or more or less retired at our clubs at relatively young ages since 2016. I don't think you'll find other clubs with similar lists and just goes to show the rotten mentality or lack o interest in football, that players we've had our club had.

Hopefully this stops now.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, sne said:

Anyone following Chinese or South Korean football?  

Apparently a lot of clubs are looking at S Korean CB Kim Min-jae who playing in China and is available for really cheap money. £1.5m or so.

Not watching my self but he looks great on Youtube :D . Apparently Red Bull Leipzig are among the clubs interested and they have quite they eye for CB's so might be worth a look.

He looks really fast, big, tall and strong with good technique and passing while also good in the air and the other stuff you want a CB to excel at. Only 23 y.o.

"The next van Dijk" and yada yada.

Never heard of him, but the Red Bull teams seem to get good recruits from the across the globe, Minamoto and Hweung He Chan the last couple of years, so it could be a good shout. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

What a Schick player!!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

I don’t know much about Watkins apart from the goals highlights I’ve seen. Is he a straight up CF or can he play wide?

Yes, played as a winger for Brentford before moving to CF. Think he did the same at Exeter

• Like 1