Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Just now, Nabby said:

Season starts 12th Sept ,Window open untill 31st Oct ..seems far too long to me ..

Somethings gotta give. 

No way we can start the season any later. 

No way all the business can be completed by mid September.

Imagine how you would feel being in Fulhams shoes.  Start to consider your signings today yet only have a month to get then signed, sealed delivered.. These things take time. 

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Sadly, it probably isn't any more.

my point is....on top of the £140 mill and the £100 + mill during Paddy Riley's reign,  a few seasons earlier.....it is and making signings no better or not much better than what we already have is not sustainable.

We have to start making this money count......we need markedly better players......these 10 mill here, 15 mill there, soon mount up and the equity evaporates with poor performances.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, sne said:

Anyone following Chinese or South Korean football?  

Apparently a lot of clubs are looking at S Korean CB Kim Min-jae who playing in China and is available for really cheap money. £1.5m or so.

Not watching my self but he looks great on Youtube :D . Apparently Red Bull Leipzig are among the clubs interested and they have quite they eye for CB's so might be worth a look.

He looks really fast, big, tall and strong with good technique and passing while also good in the air and the other stuff you want a CB to excel at. Only 23 y.o.

"The next van Dijk" and yada yada.

Excluding Australia and Turkey as 'not really Asia' and Easah Suliman as being English, I don't think we've ever had an Asian player have we?

As others have said, German clubs seem to make Korean and Japanese players work, so I can't see why they couldn't work over here as well.

41 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I'm hoping we go to top foreign clubs in there leagues around the world and look for gems in there for young players who may look like they are about to in a year or two time get into there first teams and buy them. I'm sure we can shuffle through there players and find signings that are way better than what the championship has to offer.

Even see what first team players are to be sold and offloaded by the bigger clubsthat we can buy for a decent or cheaper price from clubs in La Liga like Barcelona, Real and Atletico madrid and Villa real, like wise with Serie A and Jeventus, inter, Atlanta or Roma. Same with Bundesliga and Dortmund, Leipzig Bayern and Leverkusen.

They are out for and we should not be looking into championship players alone and hopefully we are not. I bet we could pick up an ace in the sleeve at least one of those clubs, hopefully Johan Lange can get his contacts working around those areas.

You mean players like Veretout, Amavi, Gueye, Gollini , Ayew, who we clearly didn’t give time to, and also the likes of Wesley, Nakamba and ........... the next player we sign who doesn’t match Messi in his first 5 matches so must be shit. The fan base as a whole has to be more patient. We cannot just buy a team, Man City, Chelsea did it but things have moved on, we need to be patient 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Paulie said:

This is a bizarre argument.  If they won promotion, they would not be available.  If Ollie Watkins was the type of player that could will a side to promotion, he would not be available for ~20m pounds.  Evaluate a player on the entire body of work, on their own merits, and how they will fit into our system. 

Micah Richards won the league TWICE with City, based on this argument he should have dropped right into our side and been Van Dijk right?

I value Ollie Watkins in what I saw of him being snuffed out by a Fulham Defence.....now that might be a small Sample, but it is enough to give me the hebbie jebbies at 25 Mill.....I think Matthew Benham is a past master at polishing a turd and he did a job on us over Hogan......more fool us.

well that is exactly what many thought Richards would do, inc Pulis who was envious of our capture at the time.....I accept players sometimes don't work out even when you do it right, its called due dilligence.....its an educated/calculated gamble.

I understand that an individual player is one thing and a team another thing......but Leeds winning the League and not Brentford does not surprise me in the least.

Edited by TRO

4 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

The source in this particular case would be Ivan Tovey of Peterborough 

We need to cast our net further than Brentford. As stated before, appears Percy is now suggesting no release clause. I would leave him at Brentford. They will want £££ as is their right.

by the time they get to Brentford its....... chi ching...its too late, we are paying through the nose.

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think striker is our main weakness - I'd happily spend just the £18m on Watkins if it meant we could spend more than that on each of a pair of wide men.

I am not an advocate of 2 wingers.....I favour one with an ability to switch flanks, like Morely used to do.

You lose a crucial player of industry, when you play 2 wingers, unless of course they are top class and pin back the opposition...like Mahrez, Overmars or Robben and the like.

some wingers are passengers and don't do what it says on the tin and in this league, you get found out. and it leaves midfield over worked.

2 hours ago, VillaCas said:

Are there really people “screaming not to change our squad”?? I don’t think so

Yes there was too much talk of wanting to not make any changes as replacing 4 players would affect the squad to gel , well any less than that is pretty much not changing it. We have a championship side in my eyes. 

29 minutes ago, TRO said:

my point is....on top of the £140 mill and the £100 + mill during Paddy Riley's reign,  a few seasons earlier.....it is and making signings no better or not much better than what we already have is not sustainable.

We have to start making this money count......we need markedly better players......these 10 mill here, 15 mill there, soon mount up and the equity evaporates with poor performances.

Which is exactly why you buy sub 26 preferably sub 24 for the sell on values 

2 hours ago, RicRic said:

And then we have non ambitious types on here screaming not to change our squad 🤦🏽‍♂️. it is mandatory that we start the season with 4! New faces in the starting XI . 

5 Minimum Signings

LB

CB

RW

CM

CF 

Yes I understand RB is not at its finest but we have konsa/guilbert as options which is better than targett/taylor IMO.

I think with due respect, some fans over value what we have got.....We have done really well staying up with what we have.....now we must be realistic in our appraisals.

I would be extremely careful buying from the championship.....not saying don't, but I am really sceptical.

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

I'm hoping we go to top foreign clubs in there leagues around the world and look for gems in there for young players who may look like they are about to in a year or two time get into there first teams and buy them. I'm sure we can shuffle through there players and find signings that are way better than what the championship has to offer.

Even see what first team players are to be sold and offloaded by the bigger clubsthat we can buy for a decent or cheaper price from clubs in La Liga like Barcelona, Real and Atletico madrid and Villa real, like wise with Serie A and Jeventus, inter, Atlanta or Roma. Same with Bundesliga and Dortmund, Leipzig Bayern and Leverkusen.

They are out for and we should not be looking into championship players alone and hopefully we are not. I bet we could pick up an ace in the sleeve at least one of those clubs, hopefully Johan Lange can get his contacts working around those areas.

I like your line of thinking, it’s refreshing and involves the right strategy a club of our magnitude should be making, 5 signings made correctly can push us into top ten territory and we should look at those top clubs in those leagues to see what we could get. 

Too many championship players linked for my liking ... thats not to say you cant get a good player out that league but its risky and makes us look slightly non ambitious and scared to compete with the clubs above . Try and get a Odsonne Edouard or Tammy Abraham as the main striker then maybe look abroad in a top league and grab a winger followed by a firm, athletic central midfielder and a couple defenders of high quality and with the right coaching we can look to a better future. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

I disagree, I get the winning etc but this is a small crappy club we are talking about making big amounts off players so much so they could pay for their new stadium out right securing their future.

they can try and win things in the future what they are doing is securing a base for themselves to push on and not be in the premier league like Bournemouth with some tin pot ground build on unstable foundations.

I am not having a go at Brentford, trying to be realistic and philosophical.

Personally, I see why Leeds and Albion finished ahead of them  and both those teams are not as good as Wolves when they came up. They lost less games and showed a steel in the game.

Brentford are protagonists of performance football and our manager is a disciple of it too.....nothing wrong with that, except you can easily lose sight of the holy grail....... winning and not losing.

Brentford were the Norwich of last season, without the promotion......they put performance, before results and it manifests itself in their play.....They scored more goals than any other team and conceded second best record, but lost 13 games , next worst was 9th placed Preston...its clear to see why they didn't win the league, they lost too many.

They are not robust or resilient enough to be a rounded  side.....They are champagne and eye candy, thats what some fans want, but there is a trade off.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

To anybody who is still holding on to the Andrea Belotti pipe dream, word out of Italy is Torino isn't planning to sell him this window. And even if he does move, odds are he's way out of our price range.

He's been at Torino an eternity now. There's a reason top clubs haven't taken a punt on him.

Edited by Johnnyp

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am not having a go at Brentford, trying to be realistic and philosophical.

Personally, I see why Leeds and Albion finished ahead of them  and both those teams are not as good as Wolves when they came up. They lost less games and showed a steel in the game.

Brentford are protagonists of performance football and our manager is a disciple of it too.....nothing wrong with that, except you can easily lose sight of the holy grail....... winning and not losing.

Brentford were the Norwich of last season, without the promotion......they put performance, before results and it manifests itself in their play.....They scored more goals than any other team and conceded second best record, but lost 13 games , next worst was 9th placed Preston...its clear to see why they didn't win the league, they lost too many.

They are not robust or resilient enough to be a rounded  side.....They are champagne and eye candy, thats what some fans want, but there is a trade off.

The trade off is the key word. I'm sure their data and analytics people wouldn't of brought up pontus jansson but there has to be a human and emotional element to decision making also at times. I think they would of been worse off without him. One thing data and analytics can't account for or assess are the intangibles - ,responsibility, bottle, bravery.  Brentford had none of those yesterday and the last 2 games of the season also. The way they work is admirable and they do it because they have to gain an edge because they haven't the financial muscle to compete with others, but clearly, it isn't bulletproof.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I know the Owners want to make a successful business but they also need to realise in order to be successful at the top you have to start putting the money in and delving into top foreign clubs as well as buy yourself a few England players.

I know everyone says this, but’s what’s the evidence for it? Not being silly, can you back it up?