Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

@Dave-R

If the £100 million improves the first team then great, that is what we need.

£100 million might not be the figure for sure, who really knows?

Well that's it and what I'm trying to say, it's the media with all this info at the moment and it's mostly rubbish if not all as they dont go to the club or our Owners for info. These Storys are popping up and we havnt a clue who we going for or how much we have but when you look at it by media storys the whole situation it surely is feeling like a let down in what's made available a d who were likely to go for.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

You forgot Luiz still good enough for first eleven duty as well.

Again Luiz did not come to us from a championship club. I just want to do like for like. Which players have we recruited from a championship club who is going to start for us next season in the PL?

I got Konsa and Conor..... thats a pretty bad return.

I like our players and squad of course. I just dont think our first shopping destination should be the second tier. Our record of finding gems in the championship bargain bin  just isnt very good.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Again Luiz did not come to us from a championship club. I just want to do like for like. Which players have we recruited from a championship club who is going to start for us next season in the PL?

I like our players and squad of course. I just dont think our first shopping destination should be the second tier.

How many other players have we bought from the championship in the last 2 years?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

And the only other players in our squad (excluding players already loaned out) that we bought from a Championship side are Lansbury and Jota, so 50/50 isn't bad.

• Like 1

Just now, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

And the only other players in our squad (excluding players already loaned out) that we bought from a Championship side are Lansbury and Jota, so 50/50 isn't bad.

I dont exclude players we have loaned out. They are exactly the kind of players I want us to keep in mind as we recruit from the lower leagues again.

9 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

@Dave-R

If the £100 million improves the first team then great, that is what we need.

£100 million might not be the figure for sure, who really knows?

Yep yep, we prob spending 3 times that but not letting on, make us look like we broke but shhhhhh we billionaires whoop whoop

• Haha 1

Just now, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

And to be fair Lansbury and Hourihane were bought for the championship. It was only Konsa and Jota signed for top flight and Jota was always a squad player with Konsa for the future. If we’re going to look at last summer as a measure of where not to sign players from it would means avoid Belgium like the plague! It’s never that simple. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I dont exclude players we have loaned out. They are exactly the kind of players I want us to keep in mind as we recruit from the lower leagues again.

But they are players we bought in the championship, for the championship. Even then, it's only Hogan and Bree, and Bree was a cheap 19 y/o youth prospect when we bought him.

• Like 1

This lad at Celtic. Edouard,  I would have thought that covid19 affects them  more than any team in the UK, Infact now I have checked it's more than any team in Europe. Gate receipts account for 36% of their revenue. 42 million smackeroonies. (not much TV money) Now they may be in a bit of a pickle financially if crowds can't return.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Well most we got abroad didnt we??

Target from southampton also.

If were to buy championship players then I think were most certainly not going to be making a top ten position next season. I know the Owners want to make a successful business but they also need to realise in order to be successful at the top you have to start putting the money in and delving into top foreign clubs as well as buy yourself a few England players.

Weve all pretty much been talking in how Grealish needs better around him and he does, I'm not sure by buying championship or from foreign equivalent of of the championship is putting better quality around Jack is it?

I think were certainly trying things a different way or going to. I'm just a little concerned that this different way of buy from the championship if we do wont be good enough. It all may nudge us abit forward, just not like it would if we were to spend big on a few really class acts who are world known players who can do the business on a regular basis.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

But they are players we bought in the championship, for the championship. Even then, it's only Hogan and Bree, and Bree was a cheap 19 y/o youth prospect when we bought him.

Yup, totally fair point. I just think that nuance needs to be firmly in mind. What i am trying to avoid is another Hogan, McCormack fiasco you know? We have little evidence that being a top championship player translates into being a decent PL player for this club.

If anything Konsa and Conor stepped up and were pleasant surprises rather than big names like McCormak, Hogan, Benhrama, Watkins etc

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

If anything Konsa and Conor stepped up and were pleasant surprises rather than big names like McCormak, Hogan, Benhrama, Watkins etc

That is true.. Westwood and Stevens have made decent careers in this league too.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

And to be fair Lansbury and Hourihane were bought for the championship. It was only Konsa and Jota signed for top flight and Jota was always a squad player with Konsa for the future. If we’re going to look at last summer as a measure of where not to sign players from it would means avoid Belgium like the plague! It’s never that simple. 

Exactly right. I just dont want us to look at Ollie Watkins goals for example and think thats going to work in the PL, we know better. It would take him at least a season if ever to make the step up.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, colhint said:

This lad at Celtic. Edouard,  I would have thought that covid19 affects them  more than any team in the UK, Infact now I have checked it's more than any team in Europe. Gate receipts account for 36% of their revenue. 42 million smackeroonies. (not much TV money) Now they may be in a bit of a pickle financially if crowds can't return.

Yeah, a lot of clubs will be putting on big figures for their players but unless there is a bidding war these players will leave for much less than their initial asking price.

As much as I want us to sign players asap I still hope we have a bit of cool and don't bit at the first price mentioned unless it's someone we are desperate to sign.

• Like 2

I'm hoping we go to top foreign clubs in there leagues around the world and look for gems in there for young players who may look like they are about to in a year or two time get into there first teams and buy them. I'm sure we can shuffle through there players and find signings that are way better than what the championship has to offer.

Even see what first team players are to be sold and offloaded by the bigger clubsthat we can buy for a decent or cheaper price from clubs in La Liga like Barcelona, Real and Atletico madrid and Villa real, like wise with Serie A and Jeventus, inter, Atlanta or Roma. Same with Bundesliga and Dortmund, Leipzig Bayern and Leverkusen.

They are out for and we should not be looking into championship players alone and hopefully we are not. I bet we could pick up an ace in the sleeve at least one of those clubs, hopefully Johan Lange can get his contacts working around those areas.

33 minutes ago, colhint said:

Sounds good, I say let's give them some of our smackeroonies and take him!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Sounds good, I say let's give them some of our smackeroonies and take him!

Well from what is being shouted about in terms of signings, I would rather us spend that chunk on him or the Liverpool striker but at least Edouard is scoring regular and has been playing.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

Just checked on the Celtic website accounts. Last year they made £11.3m profit.  Take off the sm42m (smackeroonies) or about sm28m if fans cant get back till Crimbo. They are looking at a loss of somewhere between a 15 or 20 mill loss this year. At the moment they are losing £800k a week. Transfer window is 10 weeks. 

Bid £28m now they accept or not. but the price or value to them goes down £800k a week, So if they hold out for 40 and dont sell for 8 weeks they lose £6'4m so its only worth 33m and thats with an if, plus I doubt they can buy anyone until they do sell.