Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

My suggested Strategy.....just a shame we was not in a position to compete for him when he left Liverpool.....but thats the type of signing, I am advocating.

List of players across top 5 clubs that fit the description. Thoughts? Which are realistic?

Origi

Clyne

Milner

Shaqiri

H Wilson

Stones 

Otamendi

Zinchenko

Tuanzebe

Dalot

Smalling 

Lingard

Alonso

Barkley

Loftus Cheek

Batshuyai

Hudson Odoi

Rose

Walker Peters

Aurier

Sessengon

2 hours ago, smg said:

You mean players like Veretout, Amavi, Gueye, Gollini , Ayew, who we clearly didn’t give time to, and also the likes of Wesley, Nakamba and ........... the next player we sign who doesn’t match Messi in his first 5 matches so must be shit. The fan base as a whole has to be more patient. We cannot just buy a team, Man City, Chelsea did it but things have moved on, we need to be patient 

Why is a cop out often countered by " but things have moved on"......what things have moved on?, they are always moving on, they always have, football is a moveable feast...its a dynamic industry, but still many things remain the same too.

Liverpool bought Van Dijk and Alisson Becker for the best part of £150 mill....so they have joined the ( buy a team)club too....and Man U are always true to form and not shy with the cheque book.

Its not just about being patient, which plays some part of course, but patience has a habit of drifting in to procrastination.......its about being astute and full of Nous, in the main, and being on the front foot.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, omariqy said:

List of players across top 5 clubs that fit the description. Thoughts? Which are realistic?

Origi

Clyne

Milner

Shaqiri

H Wilson

Stones 

Otamendi

Zinchenko

Tuanzebe

Dalot

Smalling 

Lingard

Alonso

Barkley

Loftus Cheek

Batshuyai

Hudson Odoi

Rose

Walker Peters

Aurier

Sessengon

suddenly, looks a lot more enterprising to me.....and shouts loud.......INTENT.

Jhon Córdoba anybody?

https://bulinews.com/news/5686/report-jhon-cordoba-has-rejected-kölns-first-contract-offer

"There is no offer for Jhon. He's not in the shop window. We'll continue to plan with him," Köln boss Horst Heldt told Kicker and added that the club are still in 'good talks' with the 27-year-old.

Cordoba, who has been linked with clubs in England and Spain

Skillet to succeed in the premier league. Out of contract next summer.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

I don’t mind Championship players at all, actually I think there could be a very good team if you choose individual from there. The main issue is that top teams there play expansive football, when they go up things gets different so they couldn’t show the same quality. People keep mentioning Taarabt and Knockhart but in reality both used to play for top Championship teams, so they find themselves in relegation battles were they get lost. Then it comes to confidence.

Why are everyone looking at Norwich players? Because they’re shining in playing expansive football. Not good results but players play much freely. I saw some highlights out of their last game against City, they had some great attacking but ended 5-0.

We had Grealish, Mings, McGinn, El Ghazi, Hause, Hourihane, Elmo, Taylor and even Konsa were down there. Has any of them looked different? Yes McGinn had some bad games, Mings would definitely get more attacked but all of them look the same. El Ghazi one good games then couple of not. Hourihane assisting and scoring without doing anything else. Grealish getting past players and getting fouls for fun. Elmo same delivery. A good player is a good player, it’s just we have to know wether can he adjust to the game in the country or not. All physical parts in the PL are the same in the Championship. The only difference is quality, and that could get figure out by studying players carefully.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Origi

Clyne

Milner

Shaqiri

H Wilson

Stones 

Otamendi

Zinchenko

Tuanzebe

Dalot

Smalling 

Lingard

Alonso

Barkley

Loftus Cheek

Batshuyai

Hudson Odoi

Rose

Walker Peters

Aurier

Sessengon

Sessengon

Milner

Batshuayi

Smalling

Not sure about Shaqiri and Odoi (who I can’t even remember how he looks like apart from reading about him).

38 minutes ago, Enda said:

I know everyone says this, but’s what’s the evidence for it? Not being silly, can you back it up?

Well there is no evidence to say were not going to go that route at the moment. I'm just saying I hope we go that route and that they should and I hope they do realise that to be ambitious we need to spend and to do what the top clubs do in this league and that certainly isnt just picking up championship players or foreign players from clubs in leagues that are equivalent to championship level.

We need to aim higher, even if we only manage to pull one or two world class players in a season, done right will help us out in a massive way. If all we want to do is survive each season then I guess keep signing more of the same of what we have last season. Our level of thinking has to evolve now we have survived, in what we do on and off field. Who we bring in from clubs and how we train players will be key to our success in this league and if you keep bringing in the same level of signings, your only ever going to hit the same stride or less in this league. What we do has to be an ever evolving succesful approach and that is why clubs like liverpool, City, Chelsea and others, aim so high with players they end up with so many succesful signings because they delve into the areas alot of clubs do not in this league. Those teams they learn to leave other areas alone unless they are an absolute steal and fit into there squads without question, other than that you see exactly where they shop regular each season and it's made them the succesful on field clubs today that see them position the highest in the table.

All I am saying is I hope our Owners see this and are willing to also go there themselves with this club. Yes it will take time to have a full squad of that type of player yet now we have survived there is no reason why we need to go championship level player hunting. Unless we have absolutely no choice but to sign from the championship or find those players who can fit straight in and make it work, make there mark for a sweet price I wouldn't go there if we can sign much better.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Origi

Clyne

Milner

Shaqiri

H Wilson

Stones 

Otamendi

Zinchenko

Tuanzebe

Dalot

Smalling 

Lingard

Alonso

Barkley

Loftus Cheek

Batshuyai

Hudson Odoi

Rose

Walker Peters

Aurier

Sessengon

I've long been an admirer of Xherdan Shaqiri, and if we could bring him in to play 60 minutes, or come on as a sub, I'd be all for it. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Origi

Clyne

Milner

Shaqiri

H Wilson

Stones 

Otamendi

Zinchenko

Tuanzebe

Dalot

Smalling 

Lingard

Alonso

Barkley

Loftus Cheek

Batshuyai

Hudson Odoi

Rose

Walker Peters

Aurier

Sessengon

Does Mesut őzil fit your list, I do like him as a player..

Is he really on a crazy 350k a week??

Edited by Dave-R

36 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I don’t mind Championship players at all, actually I think there could be a very good team if you choose individual from there. The main issue is that top teams there play expansive football, when they go up things gets different so they couldn’t show the same quality. People keep mentioning Taarabt and Knockhart but in reality both used to play for top Championship teams, so they find themselves in relegation battles were they get lost. Then it comes to confidence.

Why are everyone looking at Norwich players? Because they’re shining in playing expansive football. Not good results but players play much freely. I saw some highlights out of their last game against City, they had some great attacking but ended 5-0.

We had Grealish, Mings, McGinn, El Ghazi, Hause, Hourihane, Elmo, Taylor and even Konsa were down there. Has any of them looked different? Yes McGinn had some bad games, Mings would definitely get more attacked but all of them look the same. El Ghazi one good games then couple of not. Hourihane assisting and scoring without doing anything else. Grealish getting past players and getting fouls for fun. Elmo same delivery. A good player is a good player, it’s just we have to know wether can he adjust to the game in the country or not. All physical parts in the PL are the same in the Championship. The only difference is quality, and that could get figure out by studying players carefully.

They don't give you time on the ball in the Prem.....In the championship space is easier to come by and subsequently easier to shine.....defenders read the game better in the Prem thus anticipation is far superior....its easier to make a good attacker in the championship, negated.

It is quality, but that " Quality" covers many titles, not just technical ability, which most folk relate to quality.

It is so easy to miss the work rate and physical endeavour of Man City and Liverpool, by watching their technical abilities.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Cordoba has a hit rate of c a goal in every 4 games.....we have better than that already.

19/20 - 14 in 31 Budeslega + cup (approx goal every 2 games *not a farmers league )

18/19 - 21 in 33 Budeslega 2 + cup (goal every 1.5 games) 

Made the step up from bundeslega 2 well.

Rumours are Wovles are interested, perhaps replacement for Jimenez or competition. Hopefully he makes it to the Prem, so we get to see whether flourishes or flops.

7 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Well there is no evidence to say were not going to go that route at the moment. I'm just saying I hope we go that route and that they should and I hope they do realise that to be ambitious we need to spend and to do what the top clubs do in this league and that certainly isnt just picking up championship players or foreign players from clubs in leagues that are equivalent to championship level.

We need to aim higher, even if we only manage to pull one or two world class players in a season, done right will help us out in a massive way. If all we want to do is survive each season then I guess keep signing more of the same of what we have last season. Our level of thinking has to evolve now we have survived, in what we do on and off field. Who we bring in from clubs and how we train players will be key to our success in this league and if you keep bringing in the same level of signings, your only ever going to hit the same stride or less in this league. What we do has to be an ever evolving succesful approach and that is why clubs like liverpool, City, Chelsea and others, aim so high with players they end up with so many succesful signings because they delve into the areas alot of clubs do not in this league. Those teams they learn to leave other areas alone unless they are an absolute steal and fit into there squads without question, other than that you see exactly where they shop regular each season and it's made them the succesful on field clubs today that see them position the highest in the table.

All I am saying is I hope our Owners see this and are willing to also go there themselves with this club. Yes it will take time to have a full squad of that type of player yet now we have survived there is no reason why we need to go championship level player hunting. Unless we have absolutely no choice but to sign from the championship or find those players who can fit straight in and make it work, make there mark for a sweet price I wouldn't go there if we can sign much better.

I think, who we sign this summer will define, the intent of the owners and set a peg in the ground of what to expect moving forward.

it reminds me of the time HDE said to John Gregory "you have a 10 million budget to spend on players this summer"......so John bought Juan Pablo Angel for 10 million.....Doug said "John , I didn't tell you to spend it all on one player" John replied " you didn't tell me not to, either"

Thats the spirit.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I would rather us stay away from relegated teams players and be very cautious in who we sign from the championship. For the price and because stats look fantastic at championship level it's easy to get lost in wanting someone from there because of how good they can look stat wise for a season, maybe two. Some players can translate there talent to premier but not nearly as many do carry it off successfully compared to foreign players coming from the top of there top league from the top clubs in that top league, signing to the top clubs in our league.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave-R said:

I would rather us stay away from relegated teams players and be very cautious in who we sign from the championship. For the price and because stats look fantastic at championship level it's easy to get lost in wanting someone from there because of how good they can look stat wise for a season, maybe two. Some players can translate there talent to premier but not nearly as many do carry it off successfully compared to foreign players coming from the top of there top league from the top clubs in that top league, signing to the top clubs in our league.

We can’t get good players who have experience in the country apart from those. Especially PL experience.

I’d take Brooks, Buendia, Sarr, Deloufou and Doucoure for sure!

10 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

19/20 - 14 in 31 Budeslega + cup (approx goal every 2 games *not a farmers league )

18/19 - 21 in 33 Budeslega 2 + cup (goal every 1.5 games) 

Made the step up from bundeslega 2 well.

Rumours are Wovles are interested, perhaps replacement for Jimenez or competition. Hopefully he makes it to the Prem, so we get to see whether flourishes or flops.

He has scored 59 goals in 199 games in his career..... a goal in 3.37 games

he has scored 36 goals in 83 games @ FC Koln over 3 seasons .....  a goal in 2.3 games....which is good.

I guess its a personal call as to which one you think you get, if you buy him.

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

They don't give you time on the ball in the Prem.....In the championship space is easier to come by and subsequently easier to shine.....defenders read the game better in the Prem thus anticipation is far superior....its easier to make a good attacker in the championship, negated.

It is quality, but that " Quality" covers many titles, not just technical ability, which most folk relate to quality.

Yes I know, but still as we’ve seen with us, all done what they did when they were in the Championship. Sometimes their are players that are only good in possession, they won’t have that when they are up.

I agree on the part that they don’t give you much time. But in our position, our wingers get a lot of time yet they contribute nothing. It’s not as we’re trying to get world beaters as an improvement. 

If we had the choice to go for the likes of Ings as a striker then that’s a no brainer, but we won’t. So I don’t think the Championship is a bad market. It’s one of the best for a team in our level. But we need to go at the same time to other European leagues and start getting some gems out there.

3 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Yes I know, but still as we’ve seen with us, all done what they did when they were in the Championship. Sometimes their are players that are only good in possession, they won’t have that when they are up.

I agree on the part that they don’t give you much time. But in our position, our wingers get a lot of time yet they contribute nothing. It’s not as we’re trying to get world beaters as an improvement. 

If we had the choice to go for the likes of Ings as a striker then that’s a no brainer, but we won’t. So I don’t think the Championship is a bad market. It’s one of the best for a team in our level. But we need to go at the same time to other European leagues and start getting some gems out there.

We have to exploit all the options, gems from lower leagues, the academy, young up and coming potential and so on.

but right now we need players who can lift the profile of our club, if it means signing one less to get better quality, so be it.

We need players to project our profile.....Right now.....else we will be in this position next season.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

He has scored 59 goals in 199 games in his career..... a goal in 3.37 games

he has scored 36 goals in 83 games @ FC Koln over 3 seasons .....  a goal in 2.3 games....which is good.

I guess its a personal call as to which one you think you get, if you buy him.

Sure.  But I would rather consider his previous most recent 3 seasons, than the 3 seasons preceding that, but I suppose that is your personal call. For instance, with that particular thinking you would turn down a chance to sign someone like Jimenez at Wolves, goal ratio over the past 2 seasons are good. Yet his stats at Benfica previous seasons to that (18 in 80) are less than 1 goal every 4 games. Which Jimenez would you think you'd get if Villa signed today? Besides such a blunt instrument to judge (goal/game or mins). Even for a striker, should take a rounded approach with team and league fit. To my mind, football is about balance and partnerships, so you look to build a squad that complements. I believe we went down the sign all top league GpG strikers in our inaugural season in the Championship. We can both agree that didn't end too well.

The few times I've seen Cordoba on the tele, I've thought his overall game-play would fit well in the premier league, then seeing his stats and his contract dwindling today, I considered there is value in the transfer. This is not a transfer hill I am particularly willing to die on. Just thought it was offhanded that you dismissed him as 'no better than what we've got' and a 1 in 4 striker. Of course this is all moot as I doubt Villa are in for him. Just trying to highlight there is potential value in the markets across the top 5 leagues. 

• Like 2