Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

£50m for both players. Not sure. I'd take Benhrama but think we could get better value for money than Watkins at £25m who would be a big gamble imo. More so than Benrahma. 

Benhrama has attributes that we're severely lacking. Watkins? Not so sure he does. 

Jonas Wind, whom I mentioned as a possible target after we hired Johan Lange, just scored a goal for Copenhagen in their Europa League match. He's scored on 100% of the shot attempts I've seen him take so he's a must have! 🤣

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am not trying to be disrespectful to Brentford, but many bang the drum for their business model, where they ask huge sums for their players to prospective buyers......but they win nothing, they are not winners....not yet anyway.

They have had a great season by their standards, played some eye catching football.....but what have they won?

When the pressure was on, they didn't turn up.....their well documented BMW forward line was reduced to a blunt chisel, by a well organised Fulham defence.

This is a bizarre argument.  If they won promotion, they would not be available.  If Ollie Watkins was the type of player that could will a side to promotion, he would not be available for ~20m pounds.  Evaluate a player on the entire body of work, on their own merits, and how they will fit into our system. 

Micah Richards won the league TWICE with City, based on this argument he should have dropped right into our side and been Van Dijk right?

Edited by Paulie
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, useless said:

Sounds like Brentford are pushing up Benrahma's price to try and make up for the money they'll lose on Watkins because of his relelase clause, we shouldn't be paying anymore than £20m for Benrahma. Nearly £40m for the two of them, two players in their mid twenties who haven't played at an higher level than the championship is probably too much as it is.

Eduardo would be a coup for us, will probably end up somewhere like Arsenal or Leicester, as we're now bidding for Watkins I suspect our interest in him has ended, as I can't see us spending £18mil on Watkins and then another £30m on Eduardo, that would leave us with Davis, Wesley, Samatta, Eduardo and Watkins, even if Davis goes out on loan, we aren't going to have the other four all fighting for one position, if Watkins signs he'll be our main striker signing, and possibly the only striker we sign this window.

Samatta going the other way as a makeshift on the deal ?

Edited by Follyfoot

Even if Samatta was to leave, Wesley, Watkins and Edouard, that would be around £80m worth of strikers, all fighing for one place in the team would probably be overkill. And we've still got Davis as well.

Edited by useless

I'd prefer Watkins to Edouard. And while I like that he's versatile and English, there's no way I'd spend more than £ 20 million on him. That's absolutely mental. 

And I'd use McBurnie as a benchmark here. 

But ultimately it's Deano's head on the block. If he wants to spend stupid money on a Brentford player it's his choice. 

Brentford are very good at what they do, but they’re a smaller club in London that ply their trade in the championship. It’s not a model that Villa should want to replicate. And let’s be straight here, there aren’t many top flight successes from the players they’ve made good money on these last few years. Good luck to them in what they do, but any Premier League club should be wary of paying top dollar for players that Brentford mould to look good in the championship. We should have learnt  by now. If they are quoting £50m for Watkins and Benrahma then let someone else give them the money. We’d be better served stumping up £50m for just Sarr. 

I really hope that next season smith will have realised that his best formation is not 4-4-3.

He will have to consider 4-4-2 or 4-3-1-2 setup that will make us unpredictable and give us a chance to play 2 strikers.

To be honest most teams knew before we did how we were going to set up and had us tactically beaten before the games even started.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

We have too many understudies......we want players to challenge the first teamers.......remember where we finshed, we won  9 games and conceded 67 goals.

don't let the relief of staying up cloud the issues.......We have to up our game.

I agree, my thoughts give us 4  new starters and strengthens the bench. £100m + gives us Buendia, New LCM, Tammy, an experienced PL midfielder and an experienced CB.  On top of that Benrahama if money is ok gives rotation up front. I wouldnt call any of those proposed additions "understudies".

47 minutes ago, TRO said:

Both bought for peanuts....its not a bad business model( at that rate), they have is it......perhaps we should be picking them up at source like they do.

We have been burnt once with Hogan.....lets not go back for more.

The source in this particular case would be Ivan Tovey of Peterborough 

We need to cast our net further than Brentford. As stated before, appears Percy is now suggesting no release clause. I would leave him at Brentford. They will want £££ as is their right.

• Like 1

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

I want Bale, Real to pay 80% of his wages. 

Why only 80%? Why not 120% that way we'd be able to afford a new player every week and still have change for the bus fare home.

5 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

I hope we don't buy him because I couldn't bear to see "Eduardo" typed out 258 times in the match thread every week.

Guaranteed as well considering how many people couldn’t handle the name ‘Clark’

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

The source in this particular case would be Ivan Tovey of Peterborough 

We need to cast our net further than Brentford. As stated before, appears Percy is now suggesting no release clause. I would leave him at Brentford. They will want £££ as is their right.

Seems Smith is hard for Watkins. Think he’ll demand this one, after not getting Maupay last season. However, if we didn’t see value in Maupay I cannot see value in Watkins.

I’d be extremely disappointed if Watkins is who we sign to solve our striker woes. It just feels like we’ve been here before with the likes of McCormack/Hogan/Kodjia. I just think we need to think a lot bigger than one decent season in the Championship. Deeney or Grabban would probably be less of a gamble and of course I definitely would want us to be signing them. 

• Like 3