Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

I think our business is done, going back to the purslow interview regarding the challenges of managing wages and investment in the first few years, we must be really pushing our budgets with the deals weve done.

Barkley must have cost a lot as well as the number of new contracts weve given out. Of we dont get more off the book now, I can see any flexibility for players to come in.

Not convinced we need anybody else. 

I suspect we'll be keeping a close eye on some of the better Championship players, and if they become available at a good price, we'll make a move. Some clubs might get desperate because of finances, and we may be able to offer them a player to loan (youth or fringe) in order to get the deal done.

The danger is that the likes of Fulham, and the Boggies might also be desperate and keep prices high. As we're only 11 weeks from the next transfer window, unless it's a bargain, I'd be keeping any funds in our bank in case of an emergency come January. 

11 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

Not convinced we need anybody else. 

I suspect we'll be keeping a close eye on some of the better Championship players, and if they become available at a good price, we'll make a move. Some clubs might get desperate because of finances, and we may be able to offer them a player to loan (youth or fringe) in order to get the deal done.

The danger is that the likes of Fulham, and the Boggies might also be desperate and keep prices high. As we're only 11 weeks from the next transfer window, unless it's a bargain, I'd be keeping any funds in our bank in case of an emergency come January. 

Thats a very good point, it may be that any other purchases are lined up now for January for anyone who would be considered a starter.

Due to our spending, it may have to be a down payment and the rest due in June or loan from Jan to June with option to buy as ways of avoiding putting more money on this years budget. At least the selling club would know they only need to wait 6 months for the rest of the money.

Edited by brummybloke
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I would say no to Kane. I just dont like his face.

No problem with bluenoses playing for us though.

What's wrong with his face?

Family Guy- Best of James William Bottomtooth III - YouTube

• Haha 1

With the aftermath of the international window and are absolute decimation of the title holders (still can’t believe it!!!), we are in a new curiosity of this season, the “EFL transfer window”. 

Now it may only be 3 games, but we have already seen Martinez, Watkins and Cash settled in really well. Traore has had moments where he has looked promising and Barkley acted like he had been playing with Jack & Ollie for years on Sunday. All signings are definitely looking good so far and it seems initially to be a very, very good window. We have also heavily invested in the youth team, with 6 signings as well, so we are looking to the future too. The next question is what else we need? Talk of a CB, LB and another winger seems to be where we are at.

I don't think we need another CB, certainly not to replace Konsa. He is going from strength to strength and I do not want him losing minutes for the sake of a new signing. Engels is a bit of a mystery still but we saw an elusive picture of him training the other day, so maybe he will be more available this year. As a back up, he certainly showed enough to to compete at this level and provide support. If he decides to go then yes we are short, but I don't think we are looking at a CB at the moment. 

LB is slightly different. Taylor may be OK for a back up, but clearly won't take us any further and when we look at the current back 4, Targett appears to be the weakest link. That doesn't mean he needs replacing anytime soon, I certainly don't think that. He has shown enough to be a part of the first team. It wouldn't hurt for good competition though. Maybe talk of Henry keeps coming up but maybe it is 1+1=2 in the media/with the fans; maybe we don't want to pay the standard £20m+ that Brentford are asking; who knows. If we did not end up signing a LB, would it be the worse? 

A winger really depends on Grealish and where he plays. With those thinking he would come into the middle (including me), another winger would have made a lot of sense. However, with Barkley coming, that midfield role seems to be taken now! Its tricky as it would appear that our first choice would now be Grealish and one of Trezeguet/Traore and El Ghazi remaining as back up. After that though, we would likely pull Watkins wide which I don't think we want to do too often. I do think another winger would provide more depth/competition and would mean we don't have to play Grealish out wide. It is also the position where there appears to be good options in the championship Benrahma, Sarr and Buendia all seemingly available. The issue would be price and they all seem to be very expensive. I really can't see us shelling out what the selling clubs are looking for and to be honest, I am really not convinced we need to either. 

We also only have 12 games until the January window opens and I think barring a significant injury crisis, we should be OK. So unless someone becomes available for a good price that is "too good to pass up" or we start letting go a lot of back up players, I cannot see any more transfer activity this window, and I think I am good with that. 

• Like 4

Waiting until January makes sense.  If we only need cover,  well we do already have it across the pitch. Spending money on cover now limits what we can spend in Jan.

Any more than 2 first teamers being out at the same time is arguably a situation noone can account for, so go with the cover we have for now,  then if we are desperately short in a specific area come January we can make a first team signing for the area then, rather than a back up level quality signing now. 

It also means we target exactly what we need, rather than having to make do.  Yes, we'd have to make do until the window opens, but given its only about 10-12 games it's better to make do for that, than make do for the entire season if we blow our whole budget now. 

1 minute ago, cyrusr said:

No we can't, certainly not this window. Transfers are only with EFL clubs, no Prem to Prem transfers now. 

Noted, but it was kind of a joke.

Buendia and Sarr are the only two I’d be looking at, at the moment tbh. 

The latter will probably go to a top team and I’m not sure Buendia is exactly what we need right now albeit a very good player. 

Id be surprised if we weren’t looking at Will Hughes. We’re stacked in that position as is but if he comes available for a decent price, he’d be an excellent squad player. 

• Like 3

Craig Dawson is apparently available for £4m :D Maybe he'd be a more solid backup CB than Hause? Or Engels if he ever gets back in contention.

As with any Championship deal I'd like us to be able to send one of our fringe players the other way, even if we had to pay part of the wages. Think we might be done with incoming thou.

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I definitely wouldnt touch Benrahma. The next Taarabt and i think clubs see that

forgot about him. what an interesting comparison. he really was touted as the next big thing wasn't he

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I definitely wouldnt touch Benrahma. The next Taarabt and i think clubs see that

Lazy comparison imo. Benrahma puts a lot of work in both off the pitch and on it. Taarabt never did and never really wanted it. Benrahma seems to have the right attitude. Similar skillset I get you but in no way the same.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The latter will probably go to a top team and I’m not sure Buendia is exactly what we need right now albeit a very good player. 

Completely agree. As it stands right now, Sarr is the only player in the EFL that I'm certain would improve our first XI long term.

Buendia, Cantwell, King, Grant, Hughes, Benrahma, etc. are all good players who would improve our squad but the money they'd cost wouldn't be worth the amount of value they would provide us IMO.

28 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Id be surprised if we weren’t looking at Will Hughes. We’re stacked in that position as is but if he comes available for a decent price, he’d be an excellent squad player. 

Sarr is overpriced. Watford got completely mugged off paying Rennes 30 million and want +45 million as he's got 4 year contract left. No chance we're signing him and no I'm not angry just laughing at the incredulous transfer suggestions 

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Sarr is overpriced. Watford got completely mugged off paying Rennes 30 million 

Not really, he seemed a success, and in the grand scheme of things 30m for a premiership attacker is not ridiculous. 

Think he was a good bit of business tbh!

45m would be a reasonable ask, if they were still in this league.  Its unlikely they will get that in the championship but they shouldn't lose on him either.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1