Relegation thread

Knutserov13

5 hours ago, R.Bear said:

I'll be honest, I dont care about the thousands that will die (as long as I dont know them). What I do care about is this shitshow of a club getting relegated.

If the PL is cancelled, they won't have died in vain.

As Homer once said about speed limits, they might save a few lives but millions will be late.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Farlz said:

There's surely no way this league season carries on, even behind closed doors

Agreed, I suspect the PL will be up for playing on though, as they would be likely to be asked to refund the proportion of television income that relates to the cancelled games, that would not be available to be televised, should the season be abandoned.😕

Thing is they can't postpone the season for too long as they'd be a massive backlog of fixtures to get through before the International games in the summer. A few weeks postponement won't work as this virus is supposed to spike in a month's time....

Maybe there's an element of subjectivity (wearing Villa glasses) coming into play but abandonment seems the most logical decision.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Thing is they can't postpone the season for too long as they'd be a massive backlog of fixtures to get through before the International games in the summer. A few weeks postponement won't work as this virus is supposed to spike in a month's time....

Maybe there's an element of subjectivity (wearing Villa glasses) coming into play but abandonment seems the most logical decision.

No international games in the summer, so there's a free month there to hypothetically play, but I agree it should be postponed. How do you interpret our game in hand for example? It's a home game. We win that, we're not in the bottom 3 anymore. Guess it all depends on when we pause the games.

2 hours ago, Rolta said:

That would be so good. It would be a massive anticlimax for Liverpool though. Imagine if they had another dry spell and that was their only recent league title for the foreseeable.

They might be 25 points clear but will always have an asterisk next to it 

7 hours ago, Rodders said:

leicester have 3 players with a virus and two players out injured after we **** play them, and right before they play watford. cocking typical

Injuries and suspensions, are part of the game, but missing games due to self isolation due to this virus are not. Playing a team that has been weakened due to necessary precautions taken to avoid passing on the virus to others, gives opponents, an unfair advantage. Relegation and other issues may well be determined on the result of one game and missing 3 players, is likely to influence a result.This is a clear reason why the season should be suspended and then probably abandoned.

• Like 2

On 12/03/2020 at 10:32, sne said:

All it takes is 1 player getting the virus and all games will be cancelled. This has probably already happened considering the Arsenal Olympiacos meeting.

Arsenal have their players on a 14 day isolation apparently, can't see them playing games anytime soon.

OK so it wasn't a player but their manager but still. Partial credit?

18 hours ago, Keyblade said:

No international games in the summer, so there's a free month there to hypothetically play, but I agree it should be postponed. How do you interpret our game in hand for example? It's a home game. We win that, we're not in the bottom 3 anymore. Guess it all depends on when we pause the games.

So it screws over the transfer window as well 

If they do cancel the season with no promotions or relegations, surely they would need to suspend FFP for a period of time?, some clubs may have gambled on promotion, would have gained promotion if not for the season cancellation.

Surely they cant punish those teams in that scenario?, that must lead to some sort of relaxation of FFP at least for a season or something?

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

What about players contracts which expire end of June ? What about FFP ? This is such a complex issue to resolve. Me thinks lawyers will be getting their bonuses this year ! 

I’d cancel the season now ... Liverpool Titles winners but with a * ... No teams relegated ... Top 2 of championship promoted ... then need to work out how to rebalance the league the following season back down to 20 teams .. Parachute payments to be distributed to struggling clubs in the EFL 

Edited by thabucks
  • Thanks 1

Relegation is unlikely to be determined by us playing all 10 of our outstanding league games I suspect, given the likely long term impact of this virus on the period available to play these games. I guess the biggest current risk, is the PL coming to some sort of mathematical calculation of each club club's likely points total from their remaining games.

The season surely just needs to be abandoned, when the suspension period ends. I would guess that the delay was only arranged to look at possible ways to avoid demands from the television companies at home and abroad, for hefty financial compensation from the PL, due to their not supplying them with the contracted number of games this season.

Hopefully we go again, whenever season 20/21 can begin and between now and then, we can concentrate on winning the fight against this virus, with a minimum loss of life.🤞

Edited by John