Relegation thread

Knutserov13

I think they'll suspend or postpone for the time being. I can imagine Liverpool and the likes taking the premier league to court over ending the season early. Leeds/West Brom taking the EFL/Premier League to court over not being promoted etc. There'll be a lot of pissed of clubs up and down the leagues. It's a tricky call to make, and money talks in our league. At the end of the day it's what's best for the country/global efforts to fight this thing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Need to start a gov petition to get the season cancelled...…

Postponed right now I would say. Too much risk of lives at stake, particularly the elderly and sick

• Like 3

If it gets to that stage, Liverpool and ManUtd (UCL possibility) would be the only two teams that would not want the league cancelled. Pretty sure the clubs would agree to award the title to Liverpool. So the vote will be 19-1. The plight of Championship clubs is not a consideration for the PL. Tough luck to Leeds and WBA. 

1 minute ago, Rob182 said:

Some journalist (Roman Murphy) has said this on twitter:

The DFL and DFB are considering ending the Bundesliga season after this weekend, according to the Express. No trophy would be awarded and no relegation would take place. Instead, the Bundesliga would be expanded to 22 teams for 2020-21 with the top four teams from the second tier

Something like that would work in England :lol:

Give Liverpool the title, because of their lead, let Leeds and Baggies get promoted, but no-one gets relegated and have 22 teams next season with 5 teams relegated. That would be exciting.

That would be quite good 

That would be so good. It would be a massive anticlimax for Liverpool though. Imagine if they had another dry spell and that was their only recent league title for the foreseeable.

1 hour ago, nepal_villan said:

If it gets to that stage, Liverpool and ManUtd (UCL possibility) would be the only two teams that would not want the league cancelled. Pretty sure the clubs would agree to award the title to Liverpool. So the vote will be 19-1. The plight of Championship clubs is not a consideration for the PL. Tough luck to Leeds and WBA. 

If they award the title though then that means the bottom 3 must go down too right?

15 hours ago, PieFacE said:

That would be quite good 

If the season was cancelled and we stayed up.

The holte end would Roar " My Corona" to the tune of " My Sharona" by the Knack.😀

Edited by TRO

42 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Some journalist (Roman Murphy) has said this on twitter:

The DFL and DFB are considering ending the Bundesliga season after this weekend, according to the Express. No trophy would be awarded and no relegation would take place. Instead, the Bundesliga would be expanded to 22 teams for 2020-21 with the top four teams from the second tier

Something like that would work in England :lol:

Give Liverpool the title, because of their lead, let Leeds and Baggies get promoted, but no-one gets relegated and have 22 teams next season with 5 teams relegated. That would be exciting.

**** me its hard enough with 3....i'd call it depressing.

48 minutes ago, romavillan said:

If they award the title though then that means the bottom 3 must go down too right?

The title isn't really in any doubt, unlike the relegation and promotion issues. If awarding them the title would prove a problem, I wouldn't be overly concerned if they didn't. Same goes for automatic promotion.😉

• Like 1

I had a look on a Leeds forum to see if they're panicking and a lot of them are, but some seem to have convinced themselves that according to the rules a season isn't defined by the amount of games or whether everyone has played each other twice, it's defined by where a team is in the league after a certain date, regardless of who they have or haven't played, don't know if that's right, hopefully not.

Surely it would be possible to start the season fro scratch but add or deduct any points for teams in the promotion or relegation places? To make it fair? For example Villa would have at this point a game in hand which would potentially put them 1 point ahead of the relegation line at this moment so would start level on zero along with most teams. Norwich however who are 6 points behind the safety line as we speak would start the season on -6 points. West brom & Leeds would start the season on + however any points it is they are clear of 3rd place..that way no team in those positions loses out the advantage they have gained over the season thus far nor gets any advantage if they are currently behind in relegation places.

Then we simply restart the season from scratch with a few teams having extra points & a few with an effective points deficit. Not ideal but this is a life & death situation and needs must

I agree a petition should be started as such

Any season ticket holders should get an automatic discount reflective of how many home games that team has left too off next seasons ticket.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Surely it would be possible to start the season fro scratch but add or deduct any points for teams in the promotion or relegation places? To make it fair? For example Villa would have at this point a game in hand which would potentially put them 1 point ahead of the relegation line at this moment so would start level on zero along with most teams. Norwich however who are 6 points behind the safety line as we speak would start the season on -6 points. West brom & Leeds would start the season on + however any points it is they are clear of 3rd place..that way no team in those positions loses out the advantage they have gained over the season thus far nor gets any advantage if they are currently behind in relegation places.

Then we simply restart the season from scratch with a few teams having extra points & a few with an effective points deficit. Not ideal but this is a life & death situation and needs must

I agree a petition should be started as such

Any season ticket holders should get an automatic discount reflective of how many home games that team has left too off next seasons ticket.

Yup, sounds like the best idea. Basically gives us a clean slate too and allows us to continue building our team. Might mean no football for a while and that would hurt but at least I won't have to worry about the heartache of getting relegated in May and losing Jack, for a while at least.

5 hours ago, R.Bear said:

I'll be honest, I dont care about the thousands that will die (as long as I dont know them). What I do care about is this shitshow of a club getting relegated.

If the PL is cancelled, they won't have died in vain.

That's really not funny, I will give you the benefit of any doubt, as you can't really be serious. Football isn't really more important than life or death, as I'm sure Bill Shankly would agree, if he was still alive, to be asked that question.

• Thanks 1

According to a journalist a couple of weeks ago (can’t remember who) PL can decide to end the season early and effectively freeze the positions, so relegate the bottom 3 at the time. However, it would take a majority vote to agree that kind of action. So may depend how the middle of table clubs vote as I guess a lot of clubs would be happy with their position.

Even finishing the season behind closed doors could be very difficult especially as the virus peak gets closer after the international break, when no games will probably happen anyway..

Games in hand will scupper an early freeze of positions too as well as general inequality of opportunity with more home games/favourable fixtures etc.

I’ve always thought/hoped the best solution is no relegation and allow maybe the 2 automatic promotion places to go up, as play offs not possible if season ends early. Obviously no promotion for Leeds and WBA would be even better.