Relegation thread

Knutserov13

50 minutes ago, PaulC said:

How many of the summer signings have been a success. Probably would have been buying fewer players but more quality. He’s still filling holes with squad players from last season anyway

Hourihane and Elmo are still starting games. 

Our summer business was atrocious.

• Like 1

Most of the new boys will stay as so far they have not really proved that they are top flight material, and if they move back either abroad or to another championship side they will earn less money.

Jack would go obviously and probably Mings and Mcginn as they are sellable.  McGinn might stay as he is not english and therefore not as expensive in the market place. Everyone else would stay or maybe loaned out with us paying some of the wages like we usually do.

Its all about the money.

Edited by The Fun Factory

I kind of glance enviously over at Norwich and their fans who are still supporting their team and manager - there's a unity there that we don't have.  

We played well against City in the final, we got narrowly beaten - the support was fantastic. 

We got spanked at Southampton and we've lost quite a few games this season to last minute goals - morale looks to be way down. 

I think Dean Smith doesn't pick up his players as well as Daniel Farke.  They seem optimistic even though they'd been worse than us.  I wonder what it is about them that still gives their players the freedom to express themselves?  I wonder why their players don't hide, or why if a mistake happens, they don't get blasted with abuse?  

It's strange isn't it? Maybe it's because the squad are largely the same as the previous season?  That must help.  The players seem together - I don't always get that feeling from Villa players, like Guilbert in particular.. 

Norwich came up as Champions of the Championship, we came 5th and had to rebuild.  

I wonder what spark it would require from us or the players or the staff to give us that bit of belief that has so obviously disappeared (especially since Man City). 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Hourihane and Elmo are still starting games. 

Our summer business was atrocious.

Hourihane has barely started a game recently. Ultimately going with 3 in central midfield, it was him or Drinkwater who's been abysmal. Or Lansbury.

I could see the logic in starting AEM in a tough away game to tighten up a bit and keep our shape which we saw at 0-0 (when not defending set plays). He can also get in a decent cross on occasions.

If 5/6 of our summer signings had been great successes neither would be starting unless for injuries and it's not like either have started many games in the last two months anyway.

9 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I kind of glance enviously over at Norwich and their fans who are still supporting their team and manager - there's a unity there that we don't have.  

We played well against City in the final, we got narrowly beaten - the support was fantastic. 

We got spanked at Southampton and we've lost quite a few games this season to last minute goals - morale looks to be way down. 

I think Dean Smith doesn't pick up his players as well as Daniel Farke.  They seem optimistic even though they'd been worse than us.  I wonder what it is about them that still gives their players the freedom to express themselves?  I wonder why their players don't hide, or why if a mistake happens, they don't get blasted with abuse?  

It's strange isn't it? Maybe it's because the squad are largely the same as the previous season?  That must help.  The players seem together - I don't always get that feeling from Villa players, like Guilbert in particular.. 

Norwich came up as Champions of the Championship, we came 5th and had to rebuild.  

I wonder what spark it would require from us or the players or the staff to give us that bit of belief that has so obviously disappeared (especially since Man City). 

It disappeared at the end of the Spurs game, look at them all collapsing on the ground at the end. They knew that was a huge moment in our season.

We had spark in January by winning two critical games in the 94th minute. I said it in jest last night but majority of teams would use that as major boost and go on a 6-7 unbeaten run in the league. We instead go on another mass losing streak.

Ultimately all we could do is hope we randomly peak v Chelsea or Wolves, somehow win one of them and that would give us a fighting chance. We're not defending well enough to beat either though, infact I doubt we'd beat Norwich or Newcastle if we played them on Saturday.

Edited by VillaChris

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It disappeared at the end of the Spurs game, look at them all collapsing on the ground at the end. They knew that was a huge moment in our season.

We had spark in January by winning two critical games in the 94th minute. I said it in jest last night but majority of teams would use that as major boost and go on a 6-7 unbeaten run in the league. We instead go on another mass losing streak.

Ultimately all we could do is hope we randomly peak v Chelsea or Wolves, somehow win one of them and that would give us a fighting chance. We're not defending well enough to beat either though, infact I doubt we'd beat Norwich or Newcastle if we played them on Saturday.

Yep. That mistake by Engels was a huge blow. 

17 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

A win and a clean sheet starting on Saturday would very much help.

Oh I have just seen a pig fly past in the window.

January business killed it off IMO. Difficult window but still.

I maintain we needed a quality wide option and a experienced CB almost as much as we needed a striker and GK.

We got an unfit CM in Drinkwater, a striker who can't even get on the bench in Baston to go with our actual useful players in Samatta and sweeper-keeper Reina.

We needed real quality to go with what we already had but we didn't get it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’ve tried to maintain as positive a vibe as possible but I think the writings on the wall now.

Awful last night, just no fight or effort really.

1 hour ago, Robbie09 said:

Same here. I’ve tried to remain positive but if we stick with Smith we’re down. 

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

Same as, last night was the final straw. I expected to lose but that performance was beyond bad. 5 defeats in a row and each performance worse than the last. Outclassed not just by leicester and Man City but by Southampton too.

The problem with our performances is not just about the lack of fight or effort, although clearly there is not much of it in evidence.

When i watch i see not clear strategy, not clear tactics and no clear game plan other than give the ball to Jack and when Jack is out of the game, well !!!!!

I see no ability with the manager to change things when things are going wrong. We just change like for like and carry on doing the same thing with different players.

I really did not expect anything from last nights game in terms of points, i was hopeful but i didnt expect anything.

The real disappointment is the dire performance we have all seen far too often and sadly i think we will see some more of this before the season is over.

4 hours ago, sne said:

January business killed it off IMO. Difficult window but still.

I maintain we needed a quality wide option and a experienced CB almost as much as we needed a striker and GK.

We got an unfit CM in Drinkwater, a striker who can't even get on the bench in Baston to go with our actual useful players in Samatta and sweeper-keeper Reina.

We needed real quality to go with what we already had but we didn't get it.

I think our hands were tied with FFP. Drinkwater and Baston were baffling signings. Reina made sense and Samatta looks a good un.

Need to start playing like this when McGinn is fit. We're not good enough to play 4-3-3 right now.                    

Nyland

Engels    Mings      Hause

Guilbert                              Targett

Nakamba McGinn

Grealish

Davis       Samatta

9 hours ago, PaulC said:

How many of the summer signings have been a success. Probably would have been buying fewer players but more quality. He’s still filling holes with squad players from last season anyway

Not counting the loans we converted. Heaton and Nakamba is fine.

Problem is I can see Wesley, Luiz, Konsa and Guilbert being good signings eventually but need time to develop

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Not counting the loans we converted. Heaton and Nakamba is fine.

Problem is I can see Wesley, Luiz, Konsa and Guilbert being good signings eventually but need time to develop

Luiz wasn’t interested last night and maybe Guilbert will be ok in the championship but Harvey Barnes took him to the cleaners. Can’t remember a game where a winger was so in control

Edited by PaulC

6 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think our hands were tied with FFP. Drinkwater and Baston were baffling signings. Reina made sense and Samatta looks a good un.

If drinkwater was baffling so was signing a 37 year old keeper who had hardly played a game all season 

I reckon they should just cancel this season completely and restart it from the beginning next season once Corona virus has died off etc. Give Liverpool the title and maybe promote Leeds & West Brom and any other team who is currently in an automatic promotion spot in the other divisions so that the prem starts afresh with 22 teams for one year only & likewise the divisions lower down just have one season with two extra teams in. Then just simply relegate five teams from each division for one year to get it back to normal.

That way we stay up :cheers: