Relegation thread

Knutserov13

The Premier League and Football League are separate entities. Surely the PL will stick together and pull rank on the FL. Why do the PL give a monkies about Leeds or WBA. I think this season is over. I think Villa will start next season as a PL club. It’s a terrible and unusual set of circumstances that can’t be rationalised. It really is Force Majeure.

I think the chances of this season finishing are very very slim. There is no way things in the country will be better in 3 weeks, it will be a lot worse. I think it’s far more likely that sport generally will be finished until September. 

I would bet my house that this season will be written off (and only Liverpool will be pissed off) and all divisions restart the season in the Summer, slate wiped. Hopefully we sign 3/4 decent players (Centre back partner for Mings; Midfield general; decent winger who can scamper down the wing and cross and; possibly another centre forward) in the Summer and we sort out our shortcomings. McGinn, Heaton and Wes will return to play the majority of that season. 

We will have a fighting chance of staying up, which is actually what we have now with 11 games in hand, 6 of which are at home where we have decent record.

The only question mark is our Manager, will he be trusted by the owners given his downward momentum?

I read somewhere they can technically end the season when %75 has been played? Which makes it 28.5 games......or 29 to round up. We've only played 28 so because not all teams in the league have completed %75 they can't just end the season as it is. I can see UEFA postponing the Euros til next year and maybe finishing the league before August. But it is all up in the air at the moment, so it just be canceled and that's that. I just can't see the premier league going for that option with amount of revenue they'd potentially lose out on.

3 hours ago, MapleVilla said:

I read somewhere they can technically end the season when %75 has been played? Which makes it 28.5 games......or 29 to round up. We've only played 28 so because not all teams in the league have completed %75 they can't just end the season as it is. I can see UEFA postponing the Euros til next year and maybe finishing the league before August. But it is all up in the air at the moment, so it just be canceled and that's that. I just can't see the premier league going for that option with amount of revenue they'd potentially lose out on.

That's not the case. Also someone pointed out somewhere that 75% of all fixtures have been played whether we're a game behind it not. 

That's nothing to do with this. That's to do with a team being kicked out, if they've played 75% of games, their points will be awarded.

Nothing to do with cancellation of a season, or 75% of all fixtures being played.

If we finish 17th, we’ve had a great season. We’re a newly promoted team with a young, vibrant and inexperienced squad and a great, young manager. If we can stay up, I think the owners will back the manager financially and we can build from there. Wolves and Sheffield United have shown that if you buy sensibly and apply maximum effort in every match, then expectations can be exceeded. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

If we finish 17th, we’ve had a great season. We’re a newly promoted team with a young, vibrant and inexperienced squad and a great, young manager. If we can stay up, I think the owners will back the manager financially and we can build from there. Wolves and Sheffield United have shown that if you buy sensibly and apply maximum effort in every match, then expectations can be exceeded. 

I do agree with quite a lot of this but what makes you think we have a great young manager? Genuine question. I am yet to see anything that would make me rank him above average.

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Vibrant squad? Great manager? Apply maximum effort? 

I take it you haven’t seen us much this season as none of the things you mention are even remotely close to what I’ve witnessed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

I do agree with quite a lot of this but what makes you think we have a great young manager? Genuine question. I am yet to see anything that would make me rank him above average.

Wherever he’s been, he’s done well with attractive attacking football. He’s earned his reputation in the lower leagues and is now pitting his wits in the Premier League and considering that he had to rebuild the squad from top to bottom, I think he’s doing well, we have a chance of staying up. If we do, we can build from there, we aren’t cut adrift, far from it, we actually have a game in hand on all the teams around us and are only 2 points from being safe

1 hour ago, kurtsimonw said:

17th would absolutely not be a great season. It would be minimum acceptable.

If we do stay up then we can build from there. You said ‘minimum acceptable’, it sounds to me like you expect us to stay up, almost like it’s a given

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Wherever he’s been, he’s done well with attractive attacking football. He’s earned his reputation in the lower leagues and is now pitting his wits in the Premier League and considering that he had to rebuild the squad from top to bottom, I think he’s doing well, we have a chance of staying up. If we do, we can build from there, we aren’t cut adrift, far from it, we actually have a game in hand on all the teams around us and are only 2 points from being safe

Dean took over a Brentford team that had just made the Championship playoffs, and finished midtable every year.

15 minutes ago, jim said:

Vibrant squad? Great manager? Apply maximum effort? 

I take it you haven’t seen us much this season as none of the things you mention are even remotely close to what I’ve witnessed. 

What have you witnessed then?

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

If we do stay up then we can build from there. You said ‘minimum acceptable’, it sounds to me like you expect us to stay up, almost like it’s a given

I do not consider relegation and "acceptable" result for this season, with the money spent and the squad we have. 17th is acceptable, I don't think that's asking too much. Being 4/5 points clear would be a "good" season, and even then that's a very low bar.

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

Dean took over a Brentford team that had just made the Championship playoffs, and finished midtable every year.

Playing attractive attacking football and selling their best players for profit, it’s why we appointed him

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Playing attractive attacking football and selling their best players for profit, it’s why we appointed him

The previous manager had the best players sold for profit, the current manager had their best players sold for profit. Both of them had Brentford in playoff positions.

Dean didn't.

11 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

What have you witnessed then?

A team with little to no fight, a manager without a game plan and performances getting worse week on week. 

Not to mention the worst defensive record in the league. 

22 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

The previous manager had the best players sold for profit, the current manager had their best players sold for profit. Both of them had Brentford in playoff positions.

Dean didn't.

Smith created the team and got Hogan firing, signed Benrahma, Watkins, Konsa and Canos and put the foundations in place

3 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

That's nothing to do with this. That's to do with a team being kicked out, if they've played 75% of games, their points will be awarded.

Nothing to do with cancellation of a season, or 75% of all fixtures being played.

The only fair way if they are not going to write the whole season off would be for teams to play their games in hand , probably behind closed doors and have a 29 game season

That would mean we'd have to beat Chelsea at home to relegate Watford instead of us. It's quite a big ask but with a Chelsea squad member testing positive for the virus I can't see this happening either.

I think the best case scenario for us is they write off the whole season....Deano steps down in the Summer...and we go again with more experience knowing that we've twice made teams up of young talent from other leagues and both times we've struggled big time to stay in the division.