Relegation thread

Knutserov13

Just now, VillaChris said:

Mad if Heaton is actually fit when we resume. We'd have five match day keepers to choose from given Steer would be o.k by then aswell. :lol:

Guess we'd just send Reina back given his loan would technically run out.

We have an embarrassment of riches between the sticks 

32 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Mad if Heaton is actually fit when we resume. We'd have five match day keepers to choose from given Steer would be o.k by then aswell. :lol:

Kalinic loan will probably have actually expired as well, we might even be able to register Hogandowski if its past June 30th

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Kalinic loan will probably have actually expired as well, we might even be able to register Hogandowski if its past June 30th

I did actually spend two seconds thinking....."Have we really got a keeper called that in the youth team" then!:lol:

Edited by VillaChris
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He signed all of the players I mentioned, don’t belittle his achievements to suit your argument. I was merely stating a fact 

You should read up on Brentford I think. 

12 hours ago, Mantis said:

Why would it result in us going down? We were in absolutely dire form and heading down before the virus stopped play.

You absolutely do not know that yet, none of us do, sure the results have been rubbish but we could still make survival happen.

It's easy for us to all say we're done because of poor results, yet nothing is certain in football and a couple of wins or few draws and a win could see things look very different. 

9 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

You absolutely do not know that yet, none of us do, sure the results have been rubbish but we could still make survival happen.

It's easy for us to all say we're done because of poor results, yet nothing is certain in football and a couple of wins or few draws and a win could see things look very different. 

I'm not saying we're done, but put it this way: even if the season merely ends up delayed, that still benefits us because we were in such dreadful form, and it also allows key players to return from injury.

If we were rock bottom but on a really good run of form I'd get your point totally, but we're not. Unless Grealish or someone like that gets a long-term injury that's a direct result of this virus, I fail to see how it could even be partially to blame for sending us down?

2 hours ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Isn’t talk of Heaton and Wes being back a non-issue, neither of them are registered to play now.

Currently the leagues stance is that unregistered players can't be reregistered to play, but that is a massive grey area people will very much argue. What if for example these remaining games are played, but they're after June? Heaton was unregistered to allow a spot for Reina, but Reina could theoretically be back at Milan by the time the league resumes, so not allowing us to then register Heaton would put us at a huge disadvantage and as a result damage the integrity of the competition.

It all depends on if the games can be completed before the end of June. If not then issues like this will get very messy.

• Like 1

Make no mistake, this break in proceedings has helped us. We were on a downward curve, in pretty poor form, not looking like scoring, tired, shell shocked. McGinn will now be at the same level of fitness as every other player when we resume, rather than needing a few games to get up to match speed. Our summer recruits from overseas will have had time to rest & reflect, it’ll almost be like their 2nd season upon resumption of play. 
Overall we were looking the most out of sorts team in the league. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

McGinn will now be at the same level of fitness as every other player when we resume, rather than needing a few games to get up to match speed. 

he will still need a few games to get up to match speed, you don't get there without playing in the prem, practice matches and training don't deliver that.

Edited by VillanousOne

11 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

he will still need a few games to get up to match speed, you don't get there without playing in the prem, practice matches and training don't deliver that.

Yes, but every other player won’t have played for months either, and so everyone’s match sharpness will be down. 

24 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Yes, but every other player won’t have played for months either, and so everyone’s match sharpness will be down. 

Yep. Everyone forget about this.

The teams that were on form and had momentum can go totally the other way.

Nevertheless it will be interesting.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Yep. Everyone forget about this.

The teams that were on form and had momentum can go totally the other way.

Nevertheless it will be interesting.

To be honest, I don't find anything about football and what could happen/will happen when it starts back up 'interesting'.

I'm more focused on making I stay safe and my family stays safe. I'm **** terrified of this virus. Nothing is interesting about football right now.

22 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

No one will be really match fit after this lay off. It will be like starting the season again

On 22/03/2020 at 21:21, VillaChris said:

I'm inclined to send Reina back regardless. He's had a few good matches, but what we needed was an experienced head that breed confidence, a rock and someone stabile. Heaton was this. Reina has proven to be the exact opposite. I'd easily play Nyland over him. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'm inclined to send Reina back regardless. He's had a few good matches, but what we needed was an experienced head that breed confidence, a rock and someone stabile. Heaton was this. Reina has proven to be the exact opposite. I'd easily play Nyland over him. 

I agree with this, Reina just hasn’t worked out for whatever reason, that’s not to say he’s a bad keeper, he’s far from it but we’ve got Heston on his way back :)