Relegation thread

Knutserov13

Anyone declaring Lambert did a great job needs to be referred to a league cup 2leg semifinal against a 4th tier football team, which lambert conspired to lose. Paul Lambert is a terrible manager, as has been showcased at every club he’s been at, Norwich aside. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Anyone declaring Lambert did a great job needs to be referred to a league cup 2leg semifinal against a 4th tier football team, which lambert conspired to lose. Paul Lambert is a terrible manager, as has been showcased at every club he’s been at, Norwich aside. 

Cup games really are irrelevant. Premier League is the massive money pot and it is what you'll be judged on ultimately.

Lambert did very well to keep us up for 2 seasons with a very limited squad and a tiny, tiny budget.

Edited by villalad21

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Cup games really are irrelevant. Premier League is the massive money pot and it is what you'll be judged on ultimately.

Lambert did very well to keep us up for 2 seasons with a very limited squad and a tiny, tiny budget.

Sorry, but he did not do “very well”. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Cup games are irrelevant, what about when we lost 15-0 over 3 games at christmas. 

If Smith did that you be crying on every page calling him a disgrace

• Like 2

15 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Are you getting restless then?  We have to remember that this is Smith’s first season in the Premier League, if we finish 17th, he’s performed a miracle considering that we got to a cup final too

Restless, would not be a good way of describing me......concerned would be.

I am not ready to return to the championship, i think it would be a major setback.

I disagree with your level of praise.....I think the issues, were not a foregone conclusion, when we were promoted.....made possible by inappropriate signings.....I think our plight was avoidable.

mid table and then I would agree, with your description.

The cup run was a great.....but the league is bread and butter.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Despite the difficult conditions he had.....he was not a good manager and not what we needed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Restless, would not be a good way of describing me......concerned would be.

I am not ready to return to the championship, i think it would be a major setback.

I disagree with your level of praise.....I think the issues, were not a foregone conclusion, when we were promoted.....made possible by inappropriate signings.....I think our plight was avoidable.

mid table and then I would agree, with your description.

The cup run was a great.....but the league is bread and butter.

I think you are correct 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

He was given the task to reduce the wage bill...

So was McLeish......it had been going on for some time.

we have seemingly had long periods where have struggled to get a tune out of so many players....i think its been our main problem.

10 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I thought he did a good job, we appointed him on the back of relative success at Norwich City

Norwich was his best tenure....but expectation is modest there.

Edited by TRO

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

Norwich was his best tenure....but expectation is modest there.

I think they are a big club with a great academy which has been prominent in recent years with the likes of Jamal Lewis, Max Aarons, Todd Cantwell and Ben Godfrey

15 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think they are a big club with a great academy which has been prominent in recent years with the likes of Jamal Lewis, Max Aarons, Todd Cantwell and Ben Godfrey

I wouldn't call Norwich a big club with gates c 30k.......however they have developed some good kids.

but who develops the ball winners and the centre backs and the spoilers.the players who make it difficult for the opposition....the players that create the balance.

Norwich are like us play the stylish football.......no steel.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I wouldn't call Norwich a big club with gates c 30k.......however they have developed some good kids.

but who develops the ball winners and the centre backs and the spoilers.the players who make it difficult for the opposition.

Norwich are like us play the stylish football.......no steel.

I think you are correct

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Ben Godfrey was not a youth product, he came from York. Max Aarons might have potential but I have seen him in a number of worst teams of the season along with Godfrey

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I thought he did a good job, we appointed him on the back of relative success at Norwich City

I can remember being there last away game of the season when we all chanted for him to join us

He was poor but he was definitely doing good enough a job there for us to want him and be happy when we got him 

• Like 2

It's funny how there is never any middle ground in football. Depending on who you ask PL either did a great job under duress or he was a terrible manager that was apart of the ruining the club.

I have spent time in both camps but find myself finishing in the middle....

He did a decent job under some restrictions and kept us up a couple of times, but he's also proven to be very limited and I doubt if he was given money he would've done anything exciting with it.

I would still have him ahead of a few of the managers we've had in the last decade.

I think when we appoint managers, we have to be clear what we want them to do to build a team, spend huge sums or a slower burn and buy modestly and find gems like SJM.

Naturally,when huge sums are spent, patience is less accepted.

Aston Villa have never been a club to spend huge with any success, we have had more success with the latter....but you have to have managers with nous in the transfer market and be prepared to have patience.

It is equally as prudent if Huge expenditure is the route.....that the manager appointed can spend it wisely.....that for me is crucial.

So many times, managers are given money, without the ability to spend it wisely.

Edited by TRO