Relegation thread

Knutserov13

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yeah Reina has had one decent match and a couple of stinkers.

Was hoping he'd be like Brad Friedel, but he's not comparable....my image of Friedel and respect for him is even greater now. 

We had a great team back then, not just the keeper

On 15/03/2020 at 13:26, sir_gary_cahill said:

Wherever he’s been, he’s done well with attractive attacking football. He’s earned his reputation in the lower leagues and is now pitting his wits in the Premier League and considering that he had to rebuild the squad from top to bottom, I think he’s doing well, we have a chance of staying up. If we do, we can build from there, we aren’t cut adrift, far from it, we actually have a game in hand on all the teams around us and are only 2 points from being safe

His win ratio's are as follows.

Walsall 32.31%

Brentford 39.86%

Aston Villa 41.89%

Now there is progression there,granted, but going in to our job, it was not great....I fear the attractive football tag, that has been attached to Dean , has masked over other elements of the job.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

His win ratio's are as follows.

Walsall 32.31%

Brentford 39.86%

Aston Villa 41.89%

Now there is progression there,granted, but going in to our job, it was not great....I fear the attractive football tag, that has been attached to Dean , has masked over other elements of the job.

Why do you think we appointed him then?

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why do you think we appointed him then?

Not sure, He was popular with the fans, mainly because, every time we played Brentford we struggled.

Not saying, I was opposed to him, either, just stating the facts.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not sure, He was popular with the fans, mainly because, every time we played Brentford we struggled.

Not saying, I was opposed to him, either, just stating the facts.

Do you want him to be sacked?

14 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Timing wise its a difficult call given what we are all going through and the uncertainty, ideally any new man coming in should have been here and using this time to plan and drill the players in this window (as and when they return to training). But I no longer think he is the answer and I dont think our timescales of his improvement (and the teams) and the clubs ambition are aligned. I dont think he is enough of a 'complete' coach for this level [yet] and despite his many merits, I fear the shortcomings undermine and overshadow this. He cannot set us up solidly and this has cost us, the fundamentals are just not there, and we are going backwards from a relatively bright start.

EDIT: I should add that I think he would get us straight back up if we were relegated, but this papers over the cracks and would it be a case of deja vu?

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

No.....but he has to address the issues and be seen to be on top of them....but that cannot go unchecked, unconditionally.....there will come a time when it cannot continue.

I want to see him display an understanding or capability of containing the opposition and negate the "easy the beat" tag, we have notoriously gained.

I want him to develop the team, with more of a hard nosed approach and a willingness to go after opponents....much like John McGinn, does, but most of the team should be doing that.

I think we have made it difficult for ourselves, by buying players, not necessarily naturally gifted to doing that....too many sunshine players, that's what's helped to get us in to these pickles.

Edited by TRO

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

No.....but he has to address the issues and be seen to be on top of them.

I want to see him display an understanding or capability of containing the opposition and negate the "easy the beat" tag, we have notoriously gained.

I want him to develop the team, with more of a hard nosed approach and a willingness to go after opponents....much like John McGinn, does, but most of the team should be doing that.

I think we have made it difficult for ourselves, by buying players, not necessarily naturally gifted to doing that....too many sunshine players, that's what's helped to get us in to these pickles.

Who are these sunshine players that you refer to? I think if we give him a bit more time, he can do all of those things that you have just mentioned 

5 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Who are these sunshine players that you refer to? I think if we give him a bit more time, he can do all of those things that you have just mentioned 

The ones that let opponents run through us......most of them.

How much time is that?

Edited by TRO

6 hours ago, TRO said:

The ones that let opponents run through us......most of them.

How much time is that?

Are you getting restless then?  We have to remember that this is Smith’s first season in the Premier League, if we finish 17th, he’s performed a miracle considering that we got to a cup final too

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Are you getting restless then?  We have to remember that this is Smith’s first season in the Premier League, if we finish 17th, he’s performed a miracle considering that we got to a cup final too

I like DS, and don’t mind him staying longer. Despite mistakes he’s doing which we’ve seen from every manager we’ve had so far.

But 17th was and is never a miracle this season. It was a job done. But nothing more and nothing less.

4 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Cup finals are meaningless if you lose them.

Finishing 17th being a miracle is of course non sense. It's been the worst PL Season in the history. Never have the top teams been this bad, the fact that we're the only club with zero wins against the top clubs is embarrassing

16 hours ago, TRO said:

No.....but he has to address the issues and be seen to be on top of them....but that cannot go unchecked, unconditionally.....there will come a time when it cannot continue.

That is not Dean Smith.

He wants to go toe to toe against teams in every game it's been so evident.

My point is Dean Smith is never gonna be that guy that will adapt.

Only time he tried to contain a team was against Sheff Utd. Worked for one half then it all fell apart in the 2nd half, after that he abandoned this strategy and went back to his old way of thinking.

Dean Smith's way of playing at this level with a very limited set of players is doomed for relegation. Most goals conceded is no surprise based on his style of play.

Edited by villalad21

3 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I like DS, and don’t mind him staying longer. Despite mistakes he’s doing which we’ve seen from every manager we’ve had so far.

But 17th was and is never a miracle this season. It was a job done. But nothing more and nothing less.

Miracle would be stretching it but I'd call it a good job, given the circumstances. 

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Miracle would be stretching it but I'd call it a good job, given the circumstances. 

Out of interest.

If you call that a good job then what would you call Lambert's job? Managing to survive with a woeful squad. Was asked to rebuild with peanuts, getting forced to buy from the lower league and recruit from the U23

Edited by villalad21

I think what ppl should consider is that if, at the start of the season, we were offered 17th in the league with a cup final thrown in, would you have taken that? Granted, I thought we could do better in the league, but with hindsight I can accept that I underestimated the league and overestimated the impact that our signings would make. 
I’m delighted that the league was halted when it was as I honestly thought at that time we were the most out of sorts team in the league and heading to the championship, without question. This break in proceedings could prove to be our saving grace. A break that gives us time to reflect, reenergise, regroup. It’s just what our team needed. I’d be more confident of us staying up now should the season restart for the final 10 games. The summer arrivals from overseas are getting a good break, if we return to the season it’ll be in warmer weather, which will suit one or two of them better. And they now have the experience of an Premier League season. Honestly, this break in proceedings only has positivities for us. If we did return to the season and look equally as poor as when it stopped, then I think we could rightly question the management. 

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Out of interest.

If you call that a good job then what would you call Lambert's job? Managing to survive with a woeful squad. Was asked to rebuild with peanuts, getting forced to buy from the lower league and recruit from the U23

Lambert inherited a squad full of premier league players, so it's not comparable at all. Smith inherited half a squad, with only a couple of players who had ever played a premier league game. Plus Lambert never needed to make a full rebuild. 

That said, with hindsight, Lambert's job was OK in the first couple of seasons. His problem was he was going on an unmistakable downward spiral, whereas Smith overachieved massively to take this team up so quickly. 

If you don't think 17th is a great job, given the circumstances, then you're deluded. 

18 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Lambert inherited a squad full of premier league players, so it's not comparable at all. Smith inherited half a squad, with only a couple of players who had ever played a premier league game. Plus Lambert never needed to make a full rebuild. 

That said, with hindsight, Lambert's job was OK in the first couple of seasons. His problem was he was going on an unmistakable downward spiral, whereas Smith overachieved massively to take this team up so quickly. 

If you don't think 17th is a great job, given the circumstances, then you're deluded. 

I think "Full of Premier League players" is stretching it.

Squad 1st game of the season in 12-13

Given (I'll give you this one. Although we've played this season with Heaton and Reina both with ton of PL experience as well.

Baker, Vlaar, Clark, Lowton. Barely any PL experience here. He pretty much had to rebuild a new back 4

El Ahmadi, Delph, N'Zogbia, Holman and Ireland. At this time Delph was still relatively fresh at this level. The Zog and Ireland sure, although they were both past it and horrendous.

Bent. A decent striker. Miles ahread of Wes. I will concede to this.

Bench: Lichaj, Guzan, Herd, Gardner, Bannan, Burke, Weimann. Next to no PL experience here.

Lambert did an outstanding job imo. There is not way Smith would survive for 2 seasons with that squad and the transfer spending available at the time.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

I think "Full of Premier League players" is stretching it.

Squad 1st game of the season in 12-13

Given (I'll give you this one. Although we've played this season with Heaton and Reina both with ton of PL experience as well.

Baker, Vlaar, Clark, Lowton. Barely any PL experience here. He pretty much had to rebuild a new back 4

El Ahmadi, Delph, N'Zogbia, Holman and Ireland. At this time Delph was still relatively fresh at this level. The Zog and Ireland sure, although they were both past it and horrendous.

Bent. A decent striker. Miles ahread of Wes. I will concede to this.

Bench: Lichaj, Guzan, Herd, Gardner, Bannan, Burke, Weimann. Next to no PL experience here.

Lambert did an outstanding job imo. There is not way Smith would survive for 2 seasons with that squad and the transfer spending available at the time.

Collins, Dunne, Heskey, Gabby, Hutton, Warnock, Ireland were all one the books when Lambert took over