Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

He's been very poor since restart.  I mean awful.  He has had chances, he's totally fluffed all of them.  Granted strange times but I can't really see him improving enough.  If we get any interest I'd try to recover as much as we can,  if not maybe he'll improve now the relegation pressure is eased.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

You’re watching a different player to me. 

He’s slow, he can’t head the ball, he’s a dreadful finisher, he hold it up worse than Davis and Wes, he makes no runs. 

maybe something will click but so far he’s been very very poor

Ok.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Can’t say I’ve seen much of anything from him that makes me think he will dramatically improve and he does need to dramatically improve to be an asset at this level.

But it is always foolish to write players off after a few months in the PL so I’ll wait and see if he is capable of improving. 

Agree here, plus we don't know how Wesley will return after his injury. 

In typical Villa fashion, we've brought in a striker with a tonne of pressure to deliver from a different league, mid season, smack in the midst of a fearsome relegation battle. Not excusing the chances he's fluffed, but it's not an ideal settling in period.

He'll be a squad member, and hopefully a useful one next season.

I've not given up on him and i'd hang onto him for sure but there is no way he should be in the starting line up on 12 September. I'd say that for a lot of them though, the only 6 players i'd definately like to see starting are Heaton, Konsa, Mings, Douglas, McGinn and Grealish.

He started ok, nothing amazing, but I think some fans got a bit carried away with his performances, the matches we played before he showed up we had El Ghazi up top - There was obviously going to be an "improvement" but that's all it was.

Since then, he's been extremely poor. I don't like writing players off, especially foreign ones settling in to a new environment and will trust the management but I really haven't seen anything that suggests he is going to be a real asset to us.

If we had of been relegated I would have said keep him on but I hope now that we have kept our PL status, our summer transfer business means that he will either be moved on or our 4th / 5th choice striker at best.

Wesley (for all his critics) was performing better and Davis (for all his very limited scoring prowess) brings more to the team than Ally does. We need TWO real class centre forwards next season if we want to push on.

To be honest, it is a miracle we have survived considering none of our strikers have scored since the restart - it's a real testament to the midfield and the much improved defence.

Samatta ran hard, applied himself and pressured the opposition, but he never looked like scoring (admittedly he only ever had a few half chances). I always felt we looked better when Davis came on - better hold up play and got in behind a few times.

He shouldn't be our starting striker and Davis has proven to be more effective coming off the bench. He might improve with a bit more time under his belt, but i wouldn't by upset if he left

I'm amazed there are people defending him. It's like they have been watching different games. There hasnt been one positive facet of his game to grab onto too moving forward. You could forgive him missing chances if his passing game was good. You could forgive his rubbish heading if his shots were accurate. But there's been nothing. People saying "he will come good" are basing it on nothing but blind optimism. For example Wesley is someone who showed signs of what he can do, strengths to his game. Samatta has showed nothing and gotten worse game by game.

As I said yesterday, he was far from prolific for Genk. He's a dud, plain and simple and should be shipped out at the first opportunity.

• Like 1

I wrote earlier that he'll come good next season. Now, he's been absolutely awful since the re-start, and I'm hesitating. I suppose we keep him, but he may not be an obstacle in any way to us acquiring a real number one striker. I'm not sure how we keep Wesley and Samatta and bring in someone better?

1 hour ago, NIVillan said:

I havent been too impressed with Samatta but I hold out hope that like Angel before him who came in half way through a season he is a slow starter that needs to settle.

Juan Pablo Angel? He had 1 good season in 7 at Villa.

JPA was a slow starter and slow finisher. 19 goals in his last 102 appearances.

Edited by Genie

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

Juan Pablo Angel? He had 1 good season in 7 at Villa.

JPA was a slow starter and slow finisher. 19 goals in his last 102 appearances.

Angel weren't just about the goals though.

Was great to link up the play. Something  Samatta does none of.

4 hours ago, Gillz said:

To be honest, it is a miracle we have survived considering none of our strikers have scored since the restart - it's a real testament to the midfield and the much improved defence

Very much this. Our remarkable improvement at set pieces at both ends of the pitch has been one of the key factors that allowed us to survive 

Edited by WooJung

Comparing Samatta to Angel is heresy.

That being said, he deserves a chance. He’s brand new to this country and it has been a difficult time. His first couple of games gives me enough confidence that it’s worth sticking by him. It’s madness to write a player off in the circumstances and I really wish we’d learn to give players a chance. 

Â