Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

15 hours ago, R.Bear said:

I'm amazed there are people defending him. It's like they have been watching different games. There hasnt been one positive facet of his game to grab onto too moving forward. You could forgive him missing chances if his passing game was good. You could forgive his rubbish heading if his shots were accurate. But there's been nothing. People saying "he will come good" are basing it on nothing but blind optimism. For example Wesley is someone who showed signs of what he can do, strengths to his game. Samatta has showed nothing and gotten worse game by game.

As I said yesterday, he was far from prolific for Genk. He's a dud, plain and simple and should be shipped out at the first opportunity.

I think the defending him bit is largely how he occupied defenders and ran the channels which to his credit he was excellent at, despite providing little goal threat and not being able to hold the ball up for the large part. but he did harry defenders and move them around. When davis would come off the bench he would use his extra muscle and power against tiring defenders creating more chances for the midfielders. it worked better than Davis starting and then bringing Samatta on. You have to applaud the coaches for tactically getting it right.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, peterw said:

don't know. Where?

Its the exact same defence people gave Wesley back then.

I assume because its probably true, but its a very low bar to clear. Any striker can do that consistently so long as they put the work on the pitch. And I suspect this is what Dean Smith emphasized this both to Wesley and Samatta to concentrate on doing because they weren't really contributing anything else.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

The issue with Samatta, apart from being absolute shite, is his head is way too big for his body - it looks like its weighing him down and hes about to topple over !!

Should have been an extra in Willow not a footballer

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Spoony said:

Comparing Samatta to Angel is heresy.

That being said, he deserves a chance. He’s brand new to this country and it has been a difficult time. His first couple of games gives me enough confidence that it’s worth sticking by him. It’s madness to write a player off in the circumstances and I really wish we’d learn to give players a chance. 

Only because of how well Angel did for 1.5 seasons.

Angel was written off in exactly the same way.  I saw enough in little flashes against Leicester which I think was his debut to think we had signed a decent player.  Samatta before the restart had shown a few flashes such as his header in the Cup Final, no I dont think he is the same level as Angel BUT

If Samatta can give the same return as Angel for one season and propel us to 5th in the Table, we are in Europe again and can attract better players.  For what he cost is peanuts for a decent striker so we might as well see if it works out.

Of all the strikers currently at the club, he would be first out the door if anyone will buy him. 
Wesley still has a point to prove, Davis is perfect as a back up but Samatta is just a nothing player. We desperately need a big money signing up front for next season. 

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Of all the strikers currently at the club, he would be first out the door if anyone will buy him. 
Wesley still has a point to prove, Davis is perfect as a back up but Samatta is just a nothing player. We desperately need a big money signing up front for next season. 

Whilst i agree with most of your comment delphinho123,I think Davis needs to be  loaned out to learn how to be clinical and to build confidence.

Wesley..well its yet to be seen how the injury has affected him..it could easily be 2021 before we see him anyway.

2 strikers would be my prefered option..one a marquee signing and the other who could take his place/join him up top whatever the tactics of the day require

We simply cannot make the mistakes we made last summer..

We need competition for places and with the 5 man sub seemingly going to be a permanent thing in the league we need a decent bench too.

1 minute ago, Djemba_Villan said:

As a fan base it just seems we are incapable of learning lessons.

im not saying Samatta will turn out to be the next seasons Harry Kane. However...

as a Tanzanian, plucked from Belgium where you’d just found form, to the PL, in late January, to a very much struggling team pinning all their hopes on you, to learn a new system, in a role you didn’t play before. Then a pandemic happens and suddenly living on his own in a new city, unable to train and integrate.

and some wonder why he hasn’t scored 10+ goals.

jusdge him at the end of next season. No earlier. He’s been disappointing  since the lockdown, I’m not disputing that. But talk of getting rid just shows nothing has been learned from 80% of all other overseas signings in the PL including many of our own. 

No, I wonder why he hasn't scored more than one goal(in the PL).

• Like 2

I’m not sure Samatta is the required quality going forward but he was a good purchase in hindsight given the constraints. Whilst he didn’t score the winning goals for us, he has played plenty of minutes and contributed to us staying up fair and square. To this end he was a good purchase given we had a couple of weeks to bring in a starting striker with a budget of < £10m to spend.

He can now leave or become a back-up option for us. Whatever happens I’d say he’s fulfilled his role already and anything else is a bonus.

6 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Its the exact same defence people gave Wesley back then.

I assume because its probably true, but its a very low bar to clear. Any striker can do that consistently so long as they put the work on the pitch. And I suspect this is what Dean Smith emphasized this both to Wesley and Samatta to concentrate on doing because they weren't really contributing anything else.

Not sure that's accurate because one of the biggest criticisms of wesley other than his goals was his apparent reluctance to shed some sweat for the team. He never run the channels and didn't look to put defenders under pressure. He was getting more up to speed before the injury and given his age there's every chance he can improve to be the forward we want. 

11 minutes ago, peterw said:

Not sure that's accurate because one of the biggest criticisms of wesley other than his goals was his apparent reluctance to shed some sweat for the team. He never run the channels and didn't look to put defenders under pressure. He was getting more up to speed before the injury and given his age there's every chance he can improve to be the forward we want. 

That was the case at first, but later on he was definitely putting in lots of effort on thr pitch prior to his injury.

5 hours ago, Adbo9 said:

The issue with Samatta, apart from being absolute shite, is his head is way too big for his body - it looks like its weighing him down and hes about to topple over !!

Should have been an extra in Willow not a footballer

Bstard - how dare he have a big head.

5 hours ago, Djemba_Villan said:

As a fan base it just seems we are incapable of learning lessons.

im not saying Samatta will turn out to be the next seasons Harry Kane. However...

as a Tanzanian, plucked from Belgium where you’d just found form, to the PL, in late January, to a very much struggling team pinning all their hopes on you, to learn a new system, in a role you didn’t play before. Then a pandemic happens and suddenly living on his own in a new city, unable to train and integrate.....perhaps some ‘human’ factors also play a part beyond purely on the pitch. FM20 style. 

and some wonder why he hasn’t scored 10+ goals.

jusdge him at the end of next season. No earlier. He’s been disappointing  since the lockdown, I’m not disputing that. But talk of getting rid just shows nothing has been learned from 80% of all other overseas signings in the PL including many of our own. 

If we keep him as a striker im afraid we will be judging him when we get knocked back down to the championship next season...he is not good enough for this league,pretty clear for all to see...we cant afford to be carrying anyone anymore

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Strikers not prolific in the Belgian league and we are expecting them to become prolific in the Premier League?

That's just blind optimism. Wesley and Samatta will never become prolific.

Samatta had a decent record in Belgium. 32 goals last season, 20 two years before that. He's had poorer seasons as well but it does look like he has it in his locker to score. 

Â