Mbwana ‘Ally’ Samatta

It's Your Round

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Based on what?

id understand this if we saw flashes. But to me we don’t. He did a nice header in a cup final. That’s it

His movement is good, he has decent pace, his pressing is very intelligent and helps with setting up of traps. Before lockdown his hold up play was good as was his passing. Is a threat in the air. A decent rest and reset and Ally will be the perfect substitute to bring on for Belotti for next season. 😉🙏

• Like 1

He's possibly the only player that noticeably regressed once the season started back, which was a strange one. Not that he was lighting games up but he actually showed some good stuff when he started in terms of his touch, linking play together and obviously the couple of goals. Nothing special but fairly useful at least. You'd think he'd improve with the added time to settle but he's been atrocious since, honestly moves like he's made of wood and has a touch like he has elbows for feet. Weird one. 

If we are seriously contemplating the season with davis wee and samattta as our strikers we will have  another tough season.

Lets accept it wss a gamble and it didnt work and just sell him if anyone is interested.

We a striker who scores in pl. Like wilson or mitrovic

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If we are seriously contemplating the season with davis wee and samattta as our strikers we will have  another tough season.

Lets accept it wss a gamble and it didnt work and just sell him if anyone is interested.

We a striker who scores in pl. Like wilson or mitrovic

No, in a nice way, he's a squad player. 

6 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

His movement is good, he has decent pace, his pressing is very intelligent and helps with setting up of traps. Before lockdown his hold up play was good as was his passing. Is a threat in the air. A decent rest and reset and Ally will be the perfect substitute to bring on for Belotti for next season. 😉🙏

Ah. The pace. This mythical pace that Trez possess I presume.

Heskey at 34 years old was more explosive than this guy.

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

He really isn’t even remotely close to being better than Wesley 

Agreed. After his first couple of games I thought he was going to be really good but he's not at the required standard. He isn't a premier league player.

5 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

For the price and the wages he’s likely on, there is no need to sell. He is a good squad option, but definitely an area for us to improve in the starting XI. 

Why is he a good option? He doesnt score goals, he doesnt hold the ball up well he doesnt link up with our players well and looks awful in the air.

Wes is better than him and i think he should be the 2nd striker.  Id say samatta is even worse than davis. Davis at least holds the  up and well is strong as hell

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Why is he a good option? He doesnt score goals, he doesnt hold the ball up well he doesnt link up with our players well and looks awful in the air.

Wes is better than him and i think he should be the 2nd striker.  Id say samatta is even worse than davis. Davis at least holds the  up and well is strong as hell

Well, when you put it like that... can’t really argue with any of it!

I am inclined to give him more time, and see how next season pans out for him before moving him on. 

We had this with Hogan, give him time give him service. I even tried to convince myself many times.
Like Hogan, it is clear as day though. He just isn't at the level.

No real pace, all round game non existent, first touch garbage, decision making 2 steps too slow all the time, no left foot, no real technical capabilities.

Just move him on. If you're even bringing him off the bench next season in the hopes of making an impact you're going to be up against it.

• Like 1

To be fair I thought he did get himself around a bit and did run the channels. As for the scoring side - what you want - its difficult to remember too many chances we created for him. One header yesterday but other than that? its not like he's missing chances left right and centre, as Wesley did before his injury.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I think there's something there.

He's much much better than Wes, if a fair bit older.

I’d totally disagree with this. 
I don’t particularly rate Wes either. I think all of our strikers have been pretty poor this season. 

But Wes looks far more competent than Samatta imo 

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Villa fans writing off a player after half a season? Douglas Luiz says hi!

To be fair he does need to show a lot more than what he has been showing.

“We shouldn’t write him off... 

... but I’m now going to write him off”

7 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

You’re watching a different player to me. 

He’s slow, he can’t head the ball, he’s a dreadful finisher, he hold it up worse than Davis and Wes, he makes no runs. 

maybe something will click but so far he’s been very very poor

For me, i noticed his poor form, head dropping etc mainly cos it was at a time when needed everyone to step up. He is paid primarily to score goals and he rarely troubled the keeper. 

Had we been 10th or so and "packing for the beach" then it wouldn't have agitated me. I think i will give him a bit more time but be actively looking for another forward mainly cos i got a feeling wesley won't even return - not that his form has been great overall anyway. 

Â