Indiana Vassilev

Zatman

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2020/02/07/indiana-vassilev-villa-interview

Talented teenager Indiana Vassilev has given his first interview to VillaTV in which he reveals the origins of his name, discusses his move to the club from the USA, his first-team debut butterflies and the highlight of his Aston Villa career to date.

The forward, soon to turn 19, impressed through the club’s youth ranks having made the switch to England, with Dean Smith duly handing him his first-team debut in January’s FA Cup third-round tie at Fulham when he was introduced as an 80th-minute substitute. 

Vassilev has subsequently gone on to step off the bench in the Carabao Cup semi-final first leg against Leicester City and Premier League encounters against Brighton and Watford. 

And the likeable and confident youngster beams when recalling his personal highlight so far in a claret and blue shirt. 

“It was probably Watford at home,” says Indiana. 

“We were down 1-0 and I came on at 1-1 and then obviously - was it Ezri or Tyrone? I don’t know who they gave the goal to – scored and it went crazy. 

“Villa Park erupted! 

“It was unreal, a surreal experience.” 

He added: “I stayed up until about 2-3am that night still thinking about it. 

“It was great, amazing, an unreal feeling. Pure joy!” 

Vassilev, who originates from Savannah, Georgia, is following in the footsteps of his father, who was a professional footballer in his native Bulgaria. 

And the Villa starlet has revealed his intriguing Christian name is in fact linked to a well-known Hollywood character from world-famous movie franchise and not a US state, as some people believe. 

“I was named after Indiana Jones,” he says. 

“My mom and dad came from Bulgaria so they didn’t really know which states were in the US, I think there’s a common misconception. 

“I was named after Indiana Jones. 

“I’ve seen all the films, (my parents) were huge fans.” 

Here’s hoping we can attract Harrison Ford to Villa Park to watch Indiana in the not too distant future!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If he's made the bench the last few games presumably he's as match fit as any of our other attacking players. Given he's a lot younger and naturally won't take as long to get up to fitness surely he's likely to be more ready for a match.

Feel like we missed a trick using a few players that are clearly miles off the pace in our opening games, that has seen those players miss or waste our best chances.

A young Indiana, with far less pressure due to an absence of fans, who would play his heart out just being in the starting lineup could have been an answer. Similar argument could be made for Louie Barry.

Samatta looks like he's spent lockdown smoking 20 a day, and needs time to get his fitness back. Give this lad a go (although not against Liverpool as we will get hammered and that won't do anyone any favours).

Anyone know if hes played in the youth teams in the same team as Keinan and how they worked together?

Would you feel more confident with him in the starting lineup than a guaranteed no show from Ally?

6 minutes ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

Get him involved. We have seen team-mates respond to his non-stop energy. We need some of that.

He does a a bit of the “Andreas Wieman-esq non stop hustling” about it. I’m at the stage when anything is worth a shot. We’ve certainly lacked any urgency and we don’t press as a team so can’t do much harm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roonst83 said:

He does a a bit of the “Andreas Wieman-esq non stop hustling” about it. I’m at the stage when anything is worth a shot. We’ve certainly lacked any urgency and we don’t press as a team so can’t do much harm.

I was thinking the same thing, he has much of Weimanns non stop running and rushing in him, it creates chances and causes havoc in the opponents defence, just what we need now. If he also can pick a pass and play a bit it's a bonus. 

• Like 1

Smith said we let Borja go because of having Davis, Samatta and Vassilev available as strikers. If we now see him as a striker, I think we should send him on loan next season. WIth those mentioned probably still being around next season and the strong possiblity that we will sign at least one more and with Wesley to come back, he probably wouldn't much game time whichever division we're in.

Edited by useless

• 2 months later...

Good luck to him. If we are as ambitious as made out, then we probably won’t see Vassilev in the first team. But if he goes out and does well, we can hopefully sell on for a decent fee rather than release on free like we have with other youth players. 

• Like 1

Good move for club and player this. We often complain about youngsters not getting loaned out early enough so this is right on the money for a change. Hopefully he does well and continues to develop. Hoping for double figures from him in league 1 lots of game time. Will be keeping an eye on him.

28 minutes ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

We've very rarely been able to get the right move for our young players, hopefully this one will be different. 

Judging by the way they played Tuesday eve it seems a good move for him  

Â