Indiana Vassilev

Zatman

On 29/01/2021 at 09:16, lexicon said:

His loan failure is definitely a concern tbf. 

I think, we have had our unfair share of them in the past.....maybe some folks appraisals of youth, is bordering a bit on the ambitious side.

you can count the good loans on one hand...e.g Jack at Notts County, Gary Cahill at Burnley/Sheff Utd.

6 hours ago, TRO said:

I think, we have had our unfair share of them in the past.....maybe some folks appraisals of youth, is bordering a bit on the ambitious side.

you can count the good loans on one hand...e.g Jack at Notts County, Gary Cahill at Burnley/Sheff Utd.

I mean, those two are pretty clearly the best two players to be produced from our academy in the last 20 years 😁.

Whilst not infallible (see: Harry Kane's loans at Norwich, Leicester, etc), but Grealish and Cahill's loans help demonstrate, performing well on loan is a huge indicator as to whether a player will make an impact on the first team. Vassilev is already 20 - if he was ever going to be a Premier League player,  you'd have to think he'd be able to make an impression at League Two level. 

• Like 2

The problem with Indy is that no-one really knows his best position. He is NOT a out and out striker - more of an attacking MF - possibly playing wide as a winger.

I think he has to come to terms with the fact that he is not top class - and possibly more important for him, he has been overtaken in the USMNT pecking order for players of his age group.

Sad.

• 3 months later...

Was wondering if he might end up in The National league after his loans in League One and League Two last season weren't exactly overly succesful, so this seems a very good move for him. Won't have to wait long to check how he's doing, they're in the midst of a season and their next MLS fixture is July 18th against New York Red Bulls.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Not a bad strike partner... 

I wonder if Higuain will be a good or bad influence, though. He's openly admitted he came into MLS expecting it to be a cakewalk and wasn't prepared for the level of play and he's recently been left out of the squad due to lack of fitness. But yeah, I think it may be good for Vassilev. I don't honestly see him coming back. I think a transfer for a nominal fee makes sense for all parties.

Edited by JamieZ
Pronoun clarification.

I wonder if that spell for the U23s where he had to play upfront because there wasn't anyone else and he ended up scoring quite a few goals didn't do him a favor in the long run, because it led to him being converted to a striker/wide forward, maybe if he wants to get back to his best he needs to go back to being a central midfielder.

Edited by useless

This seems like a loan that isn't really about developing him for a future here, but about reintegrating him into American football so he can have a future there. I mean how many minutes is he going to realistically get?

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

This seems like a loan that isn't really about developing him for a future here, but about reintegrating him into American football so he can have a future there. I mean how many minutes is he going to realistically get?

His loan was cut short by a League 1 team, and then he couldn't get a start for a top League 2 team last season. With his contract apparently expiring at the end of the 2022 season. I don't think he's one in our future plans.

Seems bizarre that he could go from the above to be playing alongside Higuain & Blaise Matuidi though.

6 hours ago, Hornso said:

His loan was cut short by a League 1 team, and then he couldn't get a start for a top League 2 team last season. With his contract apparently expiring at the end of the 2022 season. I don't think he's one in our future plans.

Seems bizarre that he could go from the above to be playing alongside Higuain & Blaise Matuidi though.

That's if he even plays tbf.

24 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

That's if he even plays tbf.

I think he will play some; at least I hope that he will.  I expected big things from him and so far he has not delivered on them and I am realistic that he will probably never play for Villa again. Tbh I hope he does well enough for Inter to get him permanently, catches the eye of Berhalter and the national team, and succeeds. Good luck to him, I just think unfortunately his time here is done.

Edited by Big Salad

Â