January Transfers 2019/20

sne

12 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

Not just him but Jarrod Bowen too, looking at the players we bought in during the summer and looking at the business some of the other clubs are doing makes me wonder what Suso actually brings to us.

Which players bought in the summer have been bad? 

Just now, zab6359 said:

Which have stood out as a great signing? In your opinion just asking.

I think given the fact we are a newly promoted team, it was always going to be hard for anyone coming in to stand out as a great signing.

For me Mings and Heaton have been really good. Konsa, Guilbert and Targett have been solid if not fantastic. I think Marv and Douglas are improving every week and have looked more like prem quality players in the last month. The problems still lie up front. Wes is out for the season and was a bit hit and miss before the injury (to say the least). Jota looks a championship level player. I think in time Trez may come good and ElGhazi has been surprisingly effective at this level. 

All in all I would say that's a pretty decent hit rate. 

7 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

"Great"?  Probably Mings and Guilbert.  "Good"?  Konsa, Heaton, Nakamba, Luiz.

Bear in mind, yet again, that we had to buy an entire team.  We could spend £22m on 12 quality players.

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Wesley. El Ghazi. Trezeguet. 

We lack quality up front. 

I'd argue none of them have been bad.  Room for improvement on all, but each have made pretty decent contributions.

• Like 4

Just now, bobzy said:

I'd argue none of them have been bad.  Room for improvement on all, but each have made pretty decent contributions.

Yeh, maybe I’m being a bit harsh. They should all be squad players really though. I’d be disappointed if we lined up with any of them in our first XI next season. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

I'd add Nakamba and Luiz to that list, as I really rate them and they didn't cost that much. 

The point is that we've not really made any bad signings, though. I'd say that AEG and Jota are the two weakest, all in all. 

14 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

To add for me only Heaton and Mings.

If you’re not impressed by either of Nakamba or Luiz then I can’t help you. Both now coming along nicely, Targett as well. Even Trézéguet has hardly been a failure. Compare those players to other premier league newcomers around £10m and they compare well. 

• Like 1

I saw this article last week and I think that it puts fees nowadays in to perspective. At the end of the 96/97 season Ronaldo went to Inter for 25.2 million GBP - today's money 145 million GBP. That's more than a five fold increase in 23 years.

Considering this Wesley would have cost 3.8 million pounds back then, Trezegeut 1.9 million and so on. Our alleged 120 million spending spree this season would have been just shy of 21 million in 1997.

We bought Collymore in the same summer for 7 million. Nowadays he would cost 40 million.

https://www.givemesport.com/1540270-the-25-most-expensive-transfers-in-football-history-adjusted-for-inflation

The 25 most expensive transfers in football history adjusted for inflation

Transfer fees in football seem to be spiralling out of control.

It was back in 1979 that Trevor Francis became the first British footballer to command a £1 million transfer.

It soon escalating and 10 years later, it was the norm for big clubs to splash £10 million on a player.

Considering this I don't really feel we have spent a whole lot on the squad and we've gotten reasonable value for money.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yeh, maybe I’m being a bit harsh. They should all be squad players really though. I’d be disappointed if we lined up with any of them in our first XI next season. 

Think there's scope for Luiz to become a very good player.  Remember he's 21.

• Like 1

Let's hope we have something lined up other than Adebayor or Sturridge.

As much as I'm concerned about letting Chester leave if we're not bringing in a replacement (fingers crossed we are), but not signing another striker could be disastrous. We are currently in a worse position than the first half of the season as we really only have Samatta or Davis as players that could do a job up front for us. If one gets injured, which is likely given Davis' record, we could be in trouble.

Going to be an interesting day.

• Like 2