January Transfers 2019/20

sne

47 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Which have stood out as a great signing? In your opinion just asking.

A few have been excellent and the others that have come from abroad, from weaker leagues have done pretty good considering the step up and everything associated with moving to another country etc etc, comparing it with the likes of gana veretout etc from the moneyball summer, I'd say they are head and shoulders above them in more difficult circumstances and they turned out to be excellent players.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

I saw this article last week and I think that it puts fees nowadays in to perspective. At the end of the 96/97 season Ronaldo went to Inter for 25.2 million GBP - today's money 145 million GBP. That's more than a five fold increase in 23 years.

Considering this Wesley would have cost 3.8 million pounds back then, Trezegeut 1.9 million and so on. Our alleged 120 million spending spree this season would have been just shy of 21 million in 1997.

We bought Collymore in the same summer for 7 million. Nowadays he would cost 40 million.

https://www.givemesport.com/1540270-the-25-most-expensive-transfers-in-football-history-adjusted-for-inflation

The 25 most expensive transfers in football history adjusted for inflation

Transfer fees in football seem to be spiralling out of control.

It was back in 1979 that Trevor Francis became the first British footballer to command a £1 million transfer.

It soon escalating and 10 years later, it was the norm for big clubs to splash £10 million on a player.

Considering this I don't really feel we have spent a whole lot on the squad and we've gotten reasonable value for money.

How the hell have they arrived at those numbers? 🤣

Transfer Fee in 1993: £8,800,000
Today's Transfer Fee: £136,146,017

WTF?

• Like 1

Ok so I tried to put a fiver on Bowen at 20-1 but I had applied self inclusion to my account which had ended in 2016! So I got it removed but the rule is you can’t bet for 24 hours afterwards.

odds this morning are 10-1. 

edit: West Ham are 20-1 on so looks done deal.  Dangerous joining West Ham. Could find himself back in the Championship in a few months. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

The only urgent player I reckon is another striker for backup. We're doing fine for goals, 31 so far, more goals than 50% of the teams in league. In perspective Arsenal, have scored 32 who have lacazette/Aubamayang/Pepe and probably cost 2x our whole squad. We just need to tighten up and squeeze out some clean sheets. So maybe a CB with Chester off or, a LB to cover Targett, but cabt see the latter happening today. 

Edited by The Other Mat

40 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

Bowen on his way to West Ham according to Sky Sports, medical incoming. Nothing regarding Villa so far. 

Deal worth £20 Million, more than was being thrown about. 

Sky said last night that Hull had laughed at the 16m offers reported and were holding out for £20m ....

appears Hull have got what they wanted 

41 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Bowen gone to West Ham, shouldn't have let that happen

Barcelona signed Messi while he was in nappies, shouldn't have let that happen either.

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

To be fair I think West Ham are a more attractive proposition than villa at this moment in time. Their squad is a lot better than their position suggests and they’ll probably be alright. 

They've got Felipe Anderson AND Yarmolenko already ffs - can we have one of them if they're getting Bowen?

Out of the big 3 championship wingers Bowen is the one I wanted least.

Eze or benrahma are a much better fit imo!

Just hope either are still available in the summer. 

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, alf_stewart said:

Cue Bowen to West Ham. Scores goals that keep them up at expense of Villa. VT Armageddon. 

Or Bowen flops and we never hear a whisper from a VTer about wanting him at Villa ever again 👀

• Thanks 1