January Transfers 2019/20

sne

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I know FFP is an issue. I know it's hard to sign quality in this window but got to be honest I think this has been poor. Now there's 12 hours left but I can't see this changing much. 

I think we continue to make the challenge of staying up difficult for Smith. 

Honestly I think the team has the wherewithal to stay up. I still think we'll be comfortable with games to spare. People are worried about worst case scenario with injuries and under financial constraint you just can't throw money at what if situations

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I douubt West Ham are the only who were interested in him. 

Well they're the only ones willing to match the fee and his wages. 

Unless Bowen is turning down bigger and better clubs which would be a surprise. 

26 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I think we are too constrained by FFP based on deals so far and not bidding for Bowen which covers 2 positions we need strengthening. It is what it is. I think we have a solid team as long as we are lucky on the injury front

Let's face it, we've had our fair share of bad luck with injuries already this season!

Had McGinn or Heaton not got injured then we probably wouldn't have brought in Drinkwater and Reina. That would probably have been a significant saving on wages which would have translated to an extra few million in the 'war chest'.

Had Wesley not got injured then Wesley + Samatta + Davis would be enough and we wouldn't be scraping around the loan/ bargain market right now.

• Like 1

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Honestly I think the team has the wherewithal to stay up. I still think we'll be comfortable with games to spare. People are worried about worst case scenario with injuries and under financial constraint you just can't throw money at what if situations

Agree to some extent. 

But also I don't think it's crazy to suggest that currently the squad is weaker than at the end of the summer window. That shouldn't really happen by the end of January. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, kidlewis said:

Any reason why we wouldn’t want Lolley? Purely a cost issue?

fast, great crosser, dribbles, villa fan. Ripping up the championship. 

would he be more than £20m Bowen?

Apparently he hasn’t really been ripping up the championship this season although he seems to have scored a few lately.

7 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Wasnt the last prem club that broke ffp just fined?

If so, we should just smash it and pay the fine.

I wouldn't trust the prem to apply any sort of consistency in their punishments and a point deduction would sink us. Not worth rolling the dice. 

• Like 1

I like Bowen and would have liked him here but I'm not massively fussed we haven't signed him. If the 60k wage demands are to be believed, then that seems steep.
The only worry I have with it is that he strenghtens West Ham, a relegation rival. I think I speak for everyone when I say I really, really want West Ham to go down. 

17 minutes ago, Nigel said:

We havnt got the money till the summer. 

May as well close the thread then!

Smith has said we are still looking at bringing a player (or two) in, so we must have some funds.

I don't actually think replacing Jota with Lolley would cost a ridiculous amount and would improve our playing squad.

Anyway by no means would he be my first choice and it's obviously not as easy as just swapping players like that on DD!

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I have a feeling that this Jan transfer window will be just like last Jan's window, where I get my hopes up but end up crying in to my pillow.

And how did that work out? 

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I have a feeling that this Jan transfer window will be just like last Jan's window, where I get my hopes up but end up crying in to my pillow.

If you crying into your pillow means we go on a ten game win streak then i'm all for it, soz

2 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Bowen has been amazing in the Championship but I just have a feeling he won't cut it in the Prem.

Great talent. First seen him when he equalised for Hull against us on the opening day of our second season down there. I must say though he has that Luke Shaw look about him the last year or so. Bit podgy. Conditioning is pretty intense in the PL.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Bowen has been amazing in the Championship but I just have a feeling he won't cut it in the Prem.

I do. He's made 33 tackles in 29 games as an advanced right mid/CF/#10 To put in context Hourihane has made 9 tackles all season

3 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

May as well close the thread then!

Smith has said we are still looking at bringing a player (or two) in, so we must have some funds.

I don't actually think replacing Jota with Lolley would cost a ridiculous amount and would improve our playing squad.

Anyway by no means would he be my first choice and it's obviously not as easy as just swapping players like that on DD!

I don't think Forest would budge. They are right in the promotion push. Saying that, i wouldn't of thought Bristol City would sell Josh Brownhill and they did so....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I do. He's made 33 tackles in 29 games as an advanced right mid/CF/#10 To put in context Hourihane has made 9 tackles all season

You need to check your sources Kiwi.............no way has Hourihane made 9 tackles!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

And how did that work out? 

I dont think its that straight forward, you cant argue that it turned out ok, but until grealish came back we were nowhere.

I mean more down to the Carroll last minute signing etc, when we were hoping for more.

There's been no indication whatsoever that we're even interested in Bowen, as it stands we're unlikey to be even interested in signing a winger, we already have four of them, and with the new system of playing wing-backs, don't even play with out and out wingers anyway. It's a centre-forward that we need.

• Like 3