January Transfers 2019/20

sne

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Not that crazy once you factor in the time of year. 

Wesley in the summer went for £22m and had virtually no serious pedigree. Batshuayi has like a 1 in 2 record for one of the best international sides in the world and has done well in his loan moves to Dortmund and Palace of late.

£45m is a bit excessive but hardly too surprising.

I kind of wanted to disagree initially but yeah, I guess you're right tbf. 

Goes to show the market we're dealing in and how hard it is to get someone who ticks all the boxes. Suso has a difficult job here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

He won't leave this month he's clearly worth far too much to us to risk him going. In the summer he will probably leave however. I think the only chance we'd have of keeping him would be winning the league cup and finishing unexpectedly strongly in the league to comfortable mid table.

I expect him to be gone in the summer most likely.

I think he'll give us another season IF we actually start signing some top quality players. More Wes and Trezeguet standard ones and he'd be off and who can blame him.

Think him making the England squad for the euros will be crucial. If he's selected then more likely to stay.

No chance with relegation.

Edit: I actually think it's a similar case to Zaha. Every window people just assume he'll leave as he's too good for Palace but they dig in and he stays.

Edited by VillaChris

3 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

He’s still a Leicester City player as far as I’m aware, and I doubt he’ll make it in to their current side. I can’t see us going for him, he’s 31, never been prolific, and we can’t loan him and would have to buy, so I just can’t see it. 

Slimani was very good at Sporting but struggled at Leicester. Forgot he actually went on loan to Newcastle in Jan 2018 window. No goals in 4 games so assume he was injured.

He's scoring at Monaco but dosen't always start as Ben Yedder is simply better.

How about this one....Rondon.

He was desperate to sign for Newcastle but they wouldn't pay the 16.5m so off he went to China. I'm sure he'd come back so offer the club he's at 25m and see what they do.

He'd fit our style well imo so someone we really should've looked at in the summer.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Would love us to look at someone like Milot Rashica from Werner Bremen... I think he’s more of an AM than an out and out striker but he’s got a half decent record, still only young, and I think he’s exactly the player we could do with. 

Ignore the horrendous music, obv, but I think he’d be the energetic forward that we could really do with.

I believe they’re struggling a little in the Bundesliga so might not want to let him go, but if he wants to be in the PL we could probably turn his head.

They are struggling badly at the moment and he's carrying them. I've said several times now that he'd be absolutely perfect for us. He can play out wide but I think he's at his best playing on the shoulder of the defence. He thrives on balls through the middle and flicks over the top. He has electric pace and superb ball control. He'd work so well playing up front alongside a big striker who can hold the ball up for him. I'd be over the moon if we could sign him. I think they want £40 million, which is understandable considering their position.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

Just to start this guy hasn't been linked anywhere and it's just me asking the question. 

But what about Dwight McNeil from Burnley? Burnley are the type of club that will sell if the money is right. He's a really good young player with bags of potential. Good pace and brilliant dead ball delivery. 

Man Utd have been linked to sign McNeil for a while. He used be in United's youth team.

Edited by Villan4Life

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Slimani was very good at Sporting but struggled at Leicester. Forgot he actually went on loan to Newcastle in Jan 2018 window. No goals in 4 games so assume he was injured.

He's scoring at Monaco but dosen't always start as Ben Yedder is simply better.

How about this one....Rondon.

He was desperate to sign for Newcastle but they wouldn't pay the 16.5m so off he went to China. I'm sure he'd come back so offer the club he's at 25m and see what they do.

He'd fit our style well imo so someone we really should've looked at in the summer.

Wasn’t Rondon a bit of a divisive figure in the dressing room? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Edited by alreadyexists

12 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Rondon fits perfectly into our style of play atm.Espically I’d have to play like we did at Leicester.

Coming back from China mid season would be difficult though.

I remember us being linked with him like 9 years ago when he was doing very well at Malaga. 

Always rated him, not the best player, but can be very effective. Worked with very little at West Brom and Newcastle and did pretty well, especially at Newcastle. He'd be a welcome addition, he'd bring a real physical presence and work rate, good in the air as well.

The time for buying better players is *NOW* though, not the summer. If we wanted to convince Grealish we were serious, we would have to give him at least one or two players closer to his level, both to show we're serious and to move up the table.

@Dr_Pangloss is right; you can see him get visibly frustrated with his teammates, every game now. He knows better than anyone that he has stepped up to the quality of the league and they haven't. If we somehow manage to crawl in to finish in 17th place, we'll still be unattractive as a destination for players, and we'll still have a group of players who are proven only good enough for a relegation fight, and Grealish will have had another four months of frustration with bad players.

However, whether we don't want to risk a big signing or two who we might have to pay in the Championship, or if we simply don't have the FFP headroom, we don'y look like we're going to make those signings. Obviously a Drinkwater who has barely played in 3 years and a 37-year-old Pepe Reina are not those signings.

• Like 2

There are so many factors in transfers now and the future. Speculation about Jack is inevitable but nobody can see into the future. We don’t know which division we’ll be in of course and who knows who will be the Utd manager come the summer? Pepe shows signs of getting bored, Mourinho is as ever unpredictable etc etc. 

We also don’t know what our own future plans are. If we stay up our owners could have grand plans that would excite us as fans which obviously includes Jack. I know there may be FFP restrictions but the club don’t seem too bothered about it. Perhaps having one of the architects of it as our CEO means we have some sort of angle of dealing with it. Let’s face it Man City, Chelsea, PSG etc have been taking the Mick for years. We have got proper rich and astute businessmen in charge now, not a chancer or a bloke who just had Daddy’s money. 

Rondon would be a good shout for us. He's the type of player we could do with. Cost is a problem though. If the side he's with in China want a good return on their outlay, he'd be off the cards entirely. You'd kinda be relying on the Chinese wage cap decision forcing hands, assuming Rondon is on stupid money like the others to have gone there in recent years.

But he is the kind of player we are probably in the market for - older striker with a decent record at this level and used to playing up front alone.

The Chinese season starts in late February.

And all contracts are still valid as they are with those astronomical wages until they expire.

It's just that any new contracts will have a wage cap of £45k/w

Rondon still has 2 years left on his reported £155k/w contract in China.