January Transfers 2019/20

sne

Just now, villan-scott said:

Would you have preferred Begovic or Reina? 🤔

Probably Begovic because of his age, and also because of the number of PL games he has played in the last few years.

However, there was absolutely no chance that Bournemouth would have loaned him to us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villan-scott said:

Would you have preferred Begovic or Reina? 🤔

Bournemouth were apparently refusing to loan him to another PL side.

Would have been a good option otherwise.

They have some guy called Mark Tavers starting for them in goal today and Boruc on the bench.

Ramsdale out with a minor injury. Maybe should have waited to send Begovic out on another loan.

I’ve watched quite a bit of football over the weekend and it is noticeable how much smaller our players are, in general, compared to most other teams. It’s no surprise we are useless at corners. Playing 3 centre half’s helps but it does not eradicate the issue. A few units with some added pace would absolutely transform our team. I hope this is a factor in the rest of our dealings.

51 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I’ve watched quite a bit of football over the weekend and it is noticeable how much smaller our players are, in general, compared to most other teams. It’s no surprise we are useless at corners. Playing 3 centre half’s helps but it does not eradicate the issue. A few units with some added pace would absolutely transform our team. I hope this is a factor in the rest of our dealings.

Watford and Crystal Palace are 2 teams with huge midfielders roaming around. We could definitely use a midfielder with some bulk to help us out against certain opposition.  

Just now, Rightdm00 said:

Watford and Crystal Palace are 2 teams with huge midfielders roaming around. We could definitely use a midfielder with some bulk to help us out against certain opposition.  

Watford have got a massive team. Even their wingers are enormous 

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

I'm watching Watford v Bournemouth right now and was just thinking Watford have a team of monsters they all look huge compared to the Bournemouth players.

Edited by zab6359

Two paths ahead really. One involves doing little business, hoping for a miracle but financially preparing for life in the Championship, just like Norwich are doing. The other involves doing and spending what it takes to get players who can actually improve the first eleven through the door.

I'm not saying the latter approach is easy. Hell, it might not even be possible. But the group of players on the pitch today, with the exceptions of Mings and Grealish, are not Premier League footballers, and it shows, and the consequences are pretty easy to predict.

If the plan is to buy players of a similar level and circumstance to Drinkwater, I'd rather we saved our money and got ready for a promotion push next season.

• Like 2

Can't we sign some decent players from Germany, Italy or Spain? That's generally where the quality is and majority of players there don't earn 100k a week or are that desperate to play in the CL (at least initally). Was expecting some targets from these leagues but hardly anything so far. Maxi Gomez and Piatek are links that really excited me. Fair enough those signings are probably beyond us at this point but there are plenty of gettable players just below we could sign.

It's all well and good trying to sign the next Benteke from Belgium or the Turkish league but all the last six months have shown is the gulf is vast between the leagues particularly as we're not that experienced at premier league anymore.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1