January Transfers 2019/20

sne

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Thought this myself. Far too nice, in fact, just weak as piss, a team of absolute pissants. We need to be nasty, tactically nasty.

It's just not in Smith to be this way. Could do with Bielsa in charge tbh.

I agree, hopefully today can be a lesson that even someone like Pep who loves to play "beautiful football" knows that this side of the game is incredibly important. 

To see City hacking down Grealish at 5-0 should serve as an eye opener. 

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

Obviously we need a striker but it’s interesting to me that people are really prioritising wingers as well - it’s not like we aren’t scoring goals and Grealish is playing on one of those wings anyway (though I accept people might want to move him to CM). The goals we concede is a way bigger issue to me.

But striker is totally essential and priority number one of course.

Part of the reason IMO. Is that you are only as good (in possession as your weakest link). We find it so hard to keep possession this year because the likes of Trezeguet, Jota, Wesley and most of the time El Ghazi are so loose in their care of the ball. In order to score goals that means the CM need to bomb on as do the full backs and we get caught a lot with too many players ahead of the ball. 

In the last month or so the midfield has struggled to make a simple pass and as a team we’ve become incredibly passive never get and kind of challenge in. So that isn’t the wingers fault. We’ve now got issues all over the pitch but without a doubt wingers are a major weakness. Getting quality there (maybe a big ask in Jan) would help us a lot. 

6 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Part of the reason IMO. Is that you are only as good (in possession as your weakest link). We find it so hard to keep possession this year because the likes of Trezeguet, Jota, Wesley and most of the time El Ghazi are so loose in their care of the ball. In order to score goals that means the CM need to bomb on as do the full backs and we get caught a lot with too many players ahead of the ball. 

In the last month or so the midfield has struggled to make a simple pass and as a team we’ve become incredibly passive never get and kind of challenge in. So that isn’t the wingers fault. We’ve now got issues all over the pitch but without a doubt wingers are a major weakness. Getting quality there (maybe a big ask in Jan) would help us a lot. 

I agree with all that in theory but I personally don’t think AEG and Trezeguet lose the ball as much as others think they do. But yes, of course, attack is the best form of defence etc. No argument on that.

Just now, Adam2003 said:

I agree with all that in theory but I personally don’t think AEG and Trezeguet lose the ball as much as others think they do. But yes, of course, attack is the best form of defence etc. No argument on that.

Maybe Trezeguet doesn't lose the ball, but he doesn't seem to go anywhere with it, either.

• Like 1

I think it's car crash time - the recruitment policy has spectualry back fired - leaving us scrabbling around trying to bring in quality on a tight deadline and limited funds...

Question s to be asked at all levels - the roof has fell in ! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaHatesMe said:

Maybe Trezeguet doesn't lose the ball, but he doesn't seem to go anywhere with it, either.

I keep reading this but he has been the main part of at least our last three league goals. I think he’s a good squad player. I don’t necessarily think he should be starting every week.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I keep reading this but he has been the main part of at least our last three league goals. I think he’s a good squad player. I don’t necessarily think he should be starting every week.

I agree

2 hours ago, Farlz said:

We absolutely must have a striker in by next week if we even want a slight chance. 

We need far more than that. If we had Giroud today, we would still have lost 6-1. We need a few players. The left wing back would be my first priority. Taylor is playing at league one standard. And i quite like el Ghazi up front. 

We're not even being linked with any wingers, and already have Trezeguet, El Ghazi, Jota, and Grealish, so not sure if we will be signing anymore unless any of those are leaving, bearing in mind that we're only allowed twenty-five players in our squad-if we're to sign as many as people are suggesting-then we would probably have to leave quite a few of the players that have featured so far this season out of it when we register the squad again at the end of this window.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, useless said:

We're not even being linked with any wingers, and already have Trezeguet, El Ghazi, Jota, and Grealish, so not sure if we will be signing anymore unless any of those are leaving, bearing in mind that we're only allowed twenty-five players in our squad-if we're to sign as many as people are suggesting-then we would probably have to leave quite a few of the players that have featured so far this season out of it when we register the squad again at the end of this window.

To be honest I can think of 4 or 5 I'd happily leave out mate. 

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Been linked to Bowen.

Maybe more of a wide attacker than a traditional winger but still.

There's reports that we've ruled out signing Benteke, probably because he's not fit. Nothing has changed because of today's result, we were always

going to lose heavily against City. We still need 2 CF 1 WingeR 1 DM  We'll have to wait a bit longer but the Brighton & Watford games are vital so i

hope there are a couple of arrivals before then

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

To be honest I can think of 4 or 5 I'd happily leave out mate. 

Like it 👍

On a serious note, because of their injuries don’t we leave out Heaton and Wes to start with?  That’s two spots already.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Like it 👍

On a serious note, because of their injuries don’t we leave out Heaton and Wes to start with?  That’s two spots already.

I think that will be the case pal. Neither are going to feature this season so they will be removed from the squad list. I can also see Kalanic and Kodjia leaving so I don't think squad places will be an issue, the problem will be finding the players to replace them. 

54 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Had a look and McGinn and Grealish 1st and second 1.9 1.7 per game Trez only 0.7 but he's 2nd worst unsuccessful touch behind Wesley. Top 5 in each is the 4 mentioned plus AEG. Not including Jota for lack of minutes

Nyland      Good enough as No.2  Reina should see this position is OK

Guilbert    Should be OK as wingback with 3 at the back Elmohamody OK as back up

Konsa, Engels, Mings, Hause, Choose 3 from these plus possibly Vida

Targett     As Guilbert, Taylor not good enough for Prem

Hourihane, Nakamba, Jota almost certainly not good enough

Drinkwater  Miles off match fitness not really fair on him today we'll see

Luiz       Young and will get better but out of his comfort zone at this level

Trezuguet    Jury out , fast, but must keep the ball better, looks a threat though

Jack      Enough said but desparately needs help

El Ghazi    Not good enough at this level

We miss McGinn most,

Needed now  2 x CF , Bowen, Vida, Central midfielder

Then we will stay up no problem UTV

Edited by pintpotvilla

Easy to be pessimistic this evening, but I still have this niggling feeling that we have made a mistake to buy so many new low value players who aren't good enough, should probably have kept a couple of the older players like Jedinak, Elphick, Hutton and bought 4-5 PL class players at around £25m instead. Now we have a team with 2-3 players who are good enough and the rest just potential that might never come good as they need real PL quality players beside them to develop properly.

4 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

Nyland      Good enough as No.2 2 Reina should see this position is OK

Guilbert    Should be OK as wingback with 3 at the back Elmohamody OK as back up

Konsa, Engels, Mings, Hause, Choose 3 from these plus possibly Vida

Targett     As Guilbert, Taylor not good enough for Prem

Hourihane, Nakamba, Jota almost certainly not good enough

Drinkwater  Miles off match fitness not really fair on him today we'll see

Luiz       Young and will get better but out of his comfort zone at this level

Trezuguet    Jury out , fast, but must keep the ball better, looks a threat though

Jack      Enough said but despatately needs help

El Ghazi    Not good enough at this level

We miss McGinn most,

Needed now  2 x CF , Bowen, Vida, Central midfielder

Then we will stay up no problem UTV

I think that's a fair assessment.