January Transfers 2019/20

sne

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

This is now becoming as important a week for this club as I can remember. 

We buy a striker this week or we go down - I really believe it's that simple - and if we go down, we might not be in this position again for a decade.

Ideally, we need three attacking players and a left back - but if we don't get one striker, someone who can run the channels, be available for the long ball and give us an "out" - if we don't get a striker that lets us be a football team, one that plays in a normal football team sort of way - we're done. Down. Finished.

FFP? Don't care.

Overpaying? Don't care.

If we don't get one that can help, we could be out of the top division and away from the money for years - it could be a £500m problem.

Buy a striker this week or die.

Disagree, I think we need a DM not just attacking players

Luiz and Nakamba are dreadful and Drinkwater looks weeks away 

Has a transfer window ever been so important?  Get it right, the squad may galvanise and gain belief.

Get it wrong, we go down, Grealish and others leave, we become broken under FFP probably.

Huge week ahead. I’d rather we pay over the odds for a couple now. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, KHV said:

Disagree, I think we need a DM not just attacking players

Luiz and Nakamba are dreadful and Drinkwater looks weeks away 

We can still win games with them in the team, we won at Burnley and v Norwich with the first two starting both. Going years back we had a pretty good run in the prem with likes of Sylla and Westwood at the heart of midfield.

Where I agree with OBE is we won't be winning many games at all with false 9 as our main striker. It's the critical posiiton.

• Like 2

For me, in order, in this window we need:

1. Striker ____________________
  2. Left Winger _______________
  3. Right Winger______________
  4. Left Back_________________
  5. Striker____________________
  6. Goalkeeper_________Reina
  7. Midfielder______Drinkwater

It's nice to get as many as we can - but if we don't get a striker, nothing else will matter.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

This is now becoming as important a week for this club as I can remember. 

We buy a striker this week or we go down - I really believe it's that simple - and if we go down, we might not be in this position again for a decade.

Ideally, we need three attacking players and a left back - but if we don't get one striker, someone who can run the channels, be available for the long ball and give us an "out" - if we don't get a striker that lets us be a football team, one that plays in a normal football team sort of way - we're done. Down. Finished.

FFP? Don't care.

Overpaying? Don't care.

If we don't get one that can help, we could be out of the top division and away from the money for years - it could be a £500m problem.

Buy a striker this week or die.

Excellent as always.

You'd hope Purslow is thinking this through. But I fear he has more faith in Smith and the current players than he should.

We're choc full of players who need to be led. Can't believe how many footballers we have who don't want the ball.

44 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's nice to get as many as we can - but if we don't get a striker, nothing else will matter.

Would prob agree with this tbh, if the winger thing was also winger/IF etc.

I think with a good striker and winger/IF we might be ok, ONLY if the team actually starts working hard though......

31 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Excellent as always.

You'd hope Purslow is thinking this through. But I fear he has more faith in Smith and the current players than he should.

We're choc full of players who need to be led. Can't believe how many footballers we have who don't want the ball.

I agree, particularly on the leadership. Jack leads by example but the team tends to use him as a crutch to get through matches rather than a flag to rally round. I think being Captain helps his game, it certainly doesn’t hinder it. 

The only real leader in the squad, leaving aside Heaton, is of course Mings and he doesn’t need to be called captain to lead. The rest of them are kites blowing in the wind. We need players with more attitude, they don’t have to be leaders in the true sense but they have to be up for the fight and bring some of that to the others in the team. There are not many strong characters, we need one or two with bite who the others will feel the strength of and who will put a bit of fear into the opposition. Being decent footballers might be handy too. 

We need an entirely new central midfield. Defenders can’t defend with opposition midfielders sprinting at them with the ball having bypassed our spineless midfield.

Nakamba has potential but needs to seriously improve his skill/confidence on the ball.

Even while City were cruising today, every time Jack had the ball they kicked him. From the off we gave KDB and the rest of the world class players on show acres of space to do what they wanted.

I agree that a striker is the priority, but by God I wish we had a few nasty sods in the team.. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Even while City were cruising today, every time Jack had the ball they kicked him. From the off we gave KDB and the rest of the world class players on show acres of space to do what they wanted.

I agree that a striker is the priority, but by God I wish we had a few nasty sods in the team.. 

Thought this myself. Far too nice, in fact, just weak as piss, a team of absolute pissants. We need to be nasty, tactically nasty.

It's just not in Smith to be this way. Could do with Bielsa in charge tbh.

I've said it since the window opened but Bowen is a must for me. Not only do I think he is good enough to make the step up, but he certainly guarantees goals in the championship and whilst I would hope that the aim of everyone at VP is survival, I don't think they should be naive to possibility of relegation..

54 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Obviously we need a striker but it’s interesting to me that people are really prioritising wingers as well - it’s not like we aren’t scoring goals and Grealish is playing on one of those wings anyway (though I accept people might want to move him to CM). The goals we concede is a way bigger issue to me.

But striker is totally essential and priority number one of course.