January Transfers 2019/20

sne

8 hours ago, gurru991 said:

It's so hard to know how well DD will do because he's played so little competitive football over the last two to three years.I watched him a lot when he played for Leicester & he was very good. I hope he gets it together & produces for Villa. 

What kind of player is he guru?

Was he England class back then or just part of an effective machine that improved him?

Edited by Nigel

90% of Villa Fans: "We WON'T sign Danny Drinkwater! He's nearing 30! He's on massive wages! He's not an improvement on what we have! It's stupid paper talk! Pay no attention to it! Stop talking about Drinkwater!!!!!!!!"

*Drinkwater Signs*

Some Villa Fans: "Benteke WON'T sign!!!!! Stop talking about him!"

... ;)

Spoiler

It could happen. Stranger things certainly have.

• Like 1

Benteke isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

That doesn't mean it's a good idea mind. He's done. But we're desperate and almost certainly watching the pennies... The ghost of Benteke might have to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Wow, so better goals to games ratio than Wesley.  And mostly from the bench. 

Actually in his last 3 seasons (counting this one) he has a goal per minute of 1 in 745 (17/16), 1 in 819 (18/19) an 0 in 486 this season.

Wesley has 1 in 385 which while shockingly poor is still twice as god as Benteke over the last 3 seasons.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Benteke has 4 goals in his last 62 league games. Any other player with that record be shot down immediately 

Tbf I (and many others on here) questioned the signing of Mings last January when he'd only had 20 appearances since 2015.

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

No, he's not the type of player we need and his wages would be incredibly high.

If it was a loan until end of season then I’d take him. Could suit our 3-6-1 5-4-1 better than our current options. It’s about surviving this season now and retaining Premier League status to continue our recovery. Ashley Young could absolutely help us this season.

in the past it has been by midday on the Friday for a saturday game. I don't if us playing on the Sunday makes any difference to that or not. I'll be going with the assumption we'll be playing the classic 0 striker approach on sunday too tbf.

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Benteke has 4 goals in his last 62 league games. Any other player with that record be shot down immediately 

You are right , but if palace pay 50% of his wages and there's no loan fee then he could be a decent gamble as a 3rd striker. Would want a set fee to purchase him if it works out.

Palace have no other options with him other than to lose the money they have paid for him,£30m . If we sign or loan  our main striker then this is more likely to happen as palace will have no leaverage and can't hold us to ramson for a player that looks like a complete failure for them . 

33 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

We are a professional football club in the biggest, richest league in the world. We are one of the oldest clubs in the world. In every sense of the word we are a massive club. So you would expect us to have some sort of a scouting department. 

If we seriously can't find better, more financially sound, exciting and promising striker purchases than Christian Benteke, then some questions have to be asked everywhere. 

Agreed - but in the interim Benteke for a small outlay would be good - considering the money we appear to have spunked up the wall in the summer.

• Like 1

I actually think if we signed Benteke then the lift the fans would get might actually get us a win or two by itself as Tekkers will probably score. He will probably be shit after that but it might be enough!

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Benteke isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

That doesn't mean it's a good idea mind. He's done. But we're desperate and almost certainly watching the pennies... The ghost of Benteke might have to do.

I feel like there's a slight possibility that he could be half decent. It's not clear to me that since his first season at Palace that he has physically declined, it appears to me to be confidence issues. Maybe, just maybe, returning to a club where he was genuinely excellent and loved by the fans could give him a bit of a spark.

I don't think I'd be against him returning on loan but would be against him signing as our only or 'main' striking option.