January Transfers 2019/20

sne

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Ok list the 2 xA per 90

0.25 for Benteke, 0.22 for Grealish.

Edit: Actually, I'm not sure where you got your stats from either. Because even the pure xA values I can find for both players this season are 4.22 for Grealish and 1.30 for Benteke

Edited by Laughable Chimp

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

One young Romanian failing to step up doesn't mean they all will. 

Obviously I've never seen the lad play, for clarity!

Edit2 - Puscas is completely unplayable at that level... every 1 in 10. 

Yeah I accept that but ultimately Trezeguet and El Ghazi are both young, played in better leagues than Romanian one and also Trez has far more international experience. Both been very up and down so far. Hagi's son btw went to Fiorentina a few years ago but struggled and soon went back to Romania.

What I'm saying is too many of these signings just like the season and we will mess up a good chance to stay up.

I'd much rather save the project signings for the summer and make sure above all else we get in the 2-3 experienced heads we need to get over the line. Reina and two more outfield players of that ilk will do (guess Drinkwater should be counted but I remain unconvinced).

1 hour ago, useless said:

Benteke might actually happen, Telegraph have said we've asked about him, but Palace want to bring in a replacement first, well now it looks like they're getting Tosun from Everton. We need more than one striker, I think he'd be a good choice as back-up or rotate with whichever other striker we sign. It's too simplistic to look at his goalscoring record with Palace and say that he isn't very good anymore, there's more to it than that.

Woah hold your horses...so Palace only play one upfront, they're getting Tosun, Connor Wickham is fit again (o.k he'll do his ACL next match) and Jordan Ayew is still first choice and scored a wonderful goal last time out and in any case due to the conservative Woy style they don't score many goals anyway....you mean there's a chance Michy Batsuhayi may not end up there after all.

I still wonder if that link might pop up again before the window is over. Depends on Chelsea signing someone so we'll see. I don't think Palace will sell Zaha until the summer in case anyone just assumed that's a set in stone swop deal (in any case I think Lampard would rather get in Jaydon Sancho).

8 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

0.25 for Benteke, 0.22 for Grealish.

Benteke in his 487 mins DOES have 2 big chances created to Jack's 3 but Jack 52 chances created to Benteke 8. 

Small sample pools are unreliable. Hourihane had highest pass percentage (100% 8/8) vs Leicester because only on for 23 minutes so less time to misplace a pass

Edited by Kiwivillan

Football Italia update (with input from Di Marzio)

https://www.football-italia.net/148518/tottenham-wanted-piatek-swap

Tottenham Hotspur wanted Milan to take Juan Foyth or Victor Wanyama as part of the Krzysztof Piatek deal, claim Sky Sport Italia.

According to Sky pundit Gianluca Di Marzio, Spurs did make an approach for the Poland international to replace Harry Kane, who will be out of action until at least mid-April.

However, the deal has not gone through for two main reasons.

The first is that Tottenham originally asked to take Piatek on loan and that was refused outright, as his price-tag is €35m.

Another more unexpected reason is that the Premier League side wanted to include either 21-year-old defender Foyth or 28-year-old midfielder Wanyama as part of the exchange deal.

The Rossoneri were seemingly not interested in those players and are only prepared to accept cash.

6 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Benteke in his 487 mins DOES have 2 big chances created to Jack's 3 but Jack 52 chances created to Benteke 8. 

Small sample pools are reliable. Hourihane had highest pass percentage (100% 8/8) vs Leicester because only on for 23 minutes so less time to misplace a pass

I understand the problem with small sample pools but I think 487 minutes is enough time for it to be a decent indicator. I've not seen anyone else play as many minutes as that and have such an obviously odd value for their xA90 and xG90.

You're comparing the stats of a guy over a period of 23 minutes and the stats of a guy over a period of 487 minutes and trying to say both have the same problem of having too small a sample pool. Obviously, there's a massive difference between the size of the sample pools of the two.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

I genuinely dislike the transfer windows. We have suffered three major injury setbacks which has left us exposed. There was nothing wrong with the old system of the window closing in March (?) . Instead now we have to scramble around for players and inevitably we will have to get in stop gaps etc. And on top of that teams will know we’re desperate.

As for the Piatek links unfortunately we’re not attractive enough.  Even if we were top of the table we would struggle against the London clubs and the north western clubs. Pep vs Ancelotti vs Klopp vs Mourinho  vs Dean Smith. Then you have Manchester United, shit manager but it’s still Manchester United. The London clubs have that lure to them, witton v Knightsbridge / Saville Row etc. 

Don’t expect ‘marquee’ signings we’re going to have to get rough diamonds or old stagers to come in. 

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The scenario in my head is spurs went out to Milan last week to talk about him, Milan want £28m levy being levy offer them £20m split over 45 years with a marble and some fluff thrown in

We go out there to have a chat with them about reina

Milan circulate rumours that we were out there for him and that we've bid for him, get spurs on the phone telling them they've met us, matched their price, talking money with him now it's gonna happen

Spurs buckle and up their bid, gets accepted, he joins spurs

We're just a passenger in the whole thing 

You can change Milan for his agent, they'll both play the same game 

And we get Benteke, Yay 😉

Given some of the surplus and ageing strikers, that we have been reported to have been trawling the depths for of late. I'm rather surprised that we haven't been linked with an attempt to net Billy Sharp from Sheffield United as yet. 🐟

5 minutes ago, thunderball said:

A lot of noise on Twitter suggesting Spurs have closed Piatek's signing on a 3.5 year deal.....

.....but also read that they have offered for Dembele at Lyon.....

Both can't be right, surely?

Piatek seems likely and as was quickly shot down the other day we were probably never interested. You know vast majority of transfer rumours every window are made up right? Also why are we discussing Spurs transfers?

Edited by Kiwivillan