January Transfers 2019/20

sne

I just hope that whether we sign Benteke or not, Hippo gets those compromising pictures of himself with a vacuum cleaner back. Then he might stop the Benteke love in. I’m dreading the summer thread if Benteke still has those pictures by then. 

• Haha 1

Conflicting reports on Piatek, this attached link alludes to Spurs being very, well, spursish! Levy looking to offer a pair of cast offs and packet of spaghetti. I’d still expect the player to opt for Spurs if they meet Milans price, but it’s obvious that he would play 2nd fiddle to Kane when fit. If he does opt for that, and to play in a Mourinho team that doesn’t play to his strengths, then fair enough. We have to have committed and driven players coming to us, determined to prove a point and make a statement.

17 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I'll be going with the assumption we'll be playing the classic 0 striker approach on sunday too tbf.

to be fair, it might not be a bad idea against one of the best attacking teams in the world

5 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I just hope that whether we sign Benteke or not, Hippo gets those compromising pictures of himself with a vacuum cleaner back. Then he might stop the Benteke love in. I’m dreading the summer thread if Benteke still has those pictures by then. 

I will go further than that mate. In his first home game if he hasn't scored by half time - I will saw one of my legs off in front of the holte end.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Bloody hell the romance in football really is dead. 

Benteke returning to villa park would be unbelievable. I don’t care if he’s not the same player or past it. He is still getting minutes so must still be able to play at this level.  Can you imagine the atmosphere on his debut?

would be worth it just to sing his song to the tune of "the lion sleeps" again

tosun linked with us today...big fat no to that one. cant get in the everton side over moise keen

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Benteke returning to villa park would be unbelievable. I don’t care if he’s not the same player or past it. He is still getting minutes so must still be able to play at this level.  Can you imagine the atmosphere on his debut?

Exactly people have forgotten who we are. We are more than what we have become. Look inside yourselves fellow villains 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

to be fair, it might not be a bad idea against one of the best attacking teams in the world

yes, I'm not against it in theory, as we did ok on Wednesday, and I doubt the arrival of the striker in time or otherwise for this particular match is likely to effect the outcome, though it's always nice to have the option

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Exactly people have forgotten who we are. We are more than what we have become. Look inside yourselves fellow villains 

If we sign Benteke then relegation will be all but confirmed as we need a good striker. No romance in that

• Like 4

I've been 50/50 over Benteke coming back since the Summer. It's hard to work out whether re-signing him would be lead by your head or your heart. Right now however, as a 2nd striker the risk is low at a time where we need a striker in a very hard market.

For nostalgic reasons Benteke coming home would be absolutely fantastic for the atmosphere at Villa Park; I think and I would hope he would thrive under that.

This post from the Palace Forum has maybe tipped the balance for me in favour of signing him as a 2nd striker, I think we need a strong player to hold up the ball in games and with some confidence he can do that for us.

Benteke in my opinion is technically a very good player and is a goal scorer. He clearly wants to operate in the penalty area. His weakness though is he does not cover a lot of ground when he does not have the ball either defensively or making runs to get into space. He needs to be in a team that get the ball into the box quickly and often ( like we did under Big Sam ) We are a defensive team at the moment and don't get the ball into the box very quickly so Benteke is a bit of square peg in around hole. He would thrive at a team like Burnley.

https://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=106&tid=170085&page=239

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Conflicting reports on Piatek, this attached link alludes to Spurs being very, well, spursish! Levy looking to offer a pair of cast offs and packet of spaghetti. I’d still expect the player to opt for Spurs if they meet Milans price, but it’s obvious that he would play 2nd fiddle to Kane when fit. If he does opt for that, and to play in a Mourinho team that doesn’t play to his strengths, then fair enough. We have to have committed and driven players coming to us, determined to prove a point and make a statement.

Well the one thing we're offering over them is that he'll be the main man. Spurs, as things stand, are a much more attractive option whether we like it or not. We need to go in hard with a bid and force their hand, at the very least because we can't afford to stall or delay - we need at least one striker in pronto, so if our top target is a no-go, we need to move on.

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If we sign Benteke then relegation will be all but confirmed as we need a good striker. No romance in that

Non believer @Zatman  - but you can be saved - allow yourself to dream and live a little.

Edited by hippo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

One thing I will say about Tekkers is that he still wins so many headers. In fact I am sure I saw that he was one of the best in the league for it. We get plenty of crosses in but have no one really on the end of them. It could be a good short term solution with A N Other.

• Like 1

Just now, omariqy said:

One thing I will say about Tekkers is that he still wins so many headers. In fact I am sure I saw that he was one of the best in the league for it. We get plenty of crosses in but have no one really on the end of them. It could be a good short term solution with A N Other.

that's because they are usually scuffed and don't clear the first defender :P

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I'd be pretty excited tbh. Hope and optimism is always there at the start of things in football. It's what keeps us going surely.

I know that doesn't mean it'd work out (at all), but as others have mentioned, he's still getting time with a decent Palace side—at the very least we need someone to hold the ball up well. And just imagine if he found half the goalscoring form he had with us back in the day.

• Like 2