January Transfers 2019/20

sne

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

The trouble is mate we needed a squad, not just a team. 

Nakamba and Luiz = Kalvin Phillips

El Ghazi, Jota and Trez = Benrahma

Engels and Konsa = Webster

We had no choice. Now we have a squad we can improve it by adding 3/4 quality players per window rather than having to completely rebuild again. 

Exactly this....we needed a squad!! 3-4 players of better quality per window will build us and make us stronger and more competitive!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

its ok parking the bus away from home but in the 2nd leg at home we need to go out and win it. and with no strikers it's impossible.

I wouldn’t call it parking the bus I’d call it a good defensive performance by all Eleven, and I’d happily see that every week against top half sides - and to be fair we’ve had a few performances like it but none for 90 minutes yet - ( and I’d be ok with  a bit more of it against others too) The attacking stuff can come on top as and when it’s prudent. As it did tonight.

Rodgers would love a Villa Park crowd howling “ get it forward “....

I hope we do play the same way. 
The addition of a striker shouldn’t alter the principles we used tonight.

NB sorry this isn’t the right thread 🥴

Edited by terrytini
Apologies wrong tgread
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I don’t think any of those players should be written off, all of them have shown glimpses of their potential. It is their first season in the Premier League, why shouldn’t they be starting in the Premier League? They have all played for their respective countries 

We should go out and sign a couple of the San Marino lads then. They’re all internationals. 

6 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I don’t think any of those players should be written off, all of them have shown glimpses of their potential. It is their first season in the Premier League, why shouldn’t they be starting in the Premier League? They have all played for their respective countries 

Agree. 
For me it’s a question of their newness to this League, and ours, but also the blend. We need some steel to give them a platform.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, supermon said:

Eddie Nketiah on loan wouldn't be a bad shout, not as first striker but as a 2nd striker. He's been recalled by Arsenal from Leeds hasnt he?

If it's as a second striker they won't want him here. The reason he's been recalled from Leeds is he's not playing enough.

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

I wouldn’t call it parking the bus I’d call it a good defensive performance by all Eleven, and I’d happily see that every week against top half sides - and to be fair we’ve had a few performances like it but none for 90 minutes yet - ( and I’d be ok with  a bit more of it against others too) The attacking stuff can come on top as and when it’s prudent. As it did tonight.

Rodgers would love a Villa Park crowd howling “ get it forward “....

I hope we do play the same way. 
The addition of a striker shouldn’t alter the principles we used tonight.

NB sorry this isn’t the right thread 🥴

I too was so pleased with that.....apart from the howler......it was a mature and professional shut out....The back 3 were magnificent & The Goalie

If we had of played similar in some of the away games we would be points better off.

Ah Well, Dean has seen it and proved he can do it( tighten up)......few more additions and the future looks more encouraging.

Professional job all round, tonight

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, av1 said:

The trouble is mate we needed a squad, not just a team. 

Nakamba and Luiz = Kalvin Phillips

El Ghazi, Jota and Trez = Benrahma

Engels and Konsa = Webster

We had no choice. Now we have a squad we can improve it by adding 3/4 quality players per window rather than having to completely rebuild again. 

Not just that Kalvin Cost 10 million more than that as Leeds wanted 30+ million we spent 23 on Marv and Doug.

Bristol wanted 35 from us for Webster cost Brighton 20 engels, Konsa and Hause cost 26 million. And to be honest Huase and Konsa look like they could be starting for us for a long time.

With regards to Benrahma he was out injured over the summer and is only just coming back into form. Aside from that we were definitely signing el ghazi as he built up a large amount of good will last season and to me was the best player in the playoff final for us and probably our 4th best over all three games after grealish, mings and Mcginn.

The problem is we wasted 30 million on Hogan and McCormack. Spent huge wages on Whelan. Got unlucky with De Laets injury and with Neil Taylor breaking Coleman leg. Had even worse luck with injuries running kodjia and Davis being made out of fibreglass. Bolasie was a piece of work. Bruce ruined Chester. If we didn't spend this way like you said we would have had an 11 man team and when mings and Mcginn went out you could pretty much guarantee we would be relegated. 

10 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Sounds like Kodjia is off so you'd imagine we need minimum two strikers and really two wide players given El Ghazi too inconsistent, Trezequet not up to it yet and Jota probably not up to it ever. 

Hope kodjia is off,  we don't need him he's not useful to our plans in anyway, goodluck to him though if he goes and all the best because he had his time with us.