Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

Really good outing vs Leicester, building on previous performances under Gerrard. Keeps it simple but was all over the middle of the pitch and the new Gerrard midfield has more bodies around him so he isn’t as isolated. But he really has improved, looks sharp, precise and quite dynamic. I used to dread him receiving the ball but he is calm on the ball and moves very well protecting it. He is now a midfield fulcrum which I didn’t expect. Him and McGinn have nailed down 2 of 3 midfield positions. I can see Luiz being moved on to allow Carney to develop.

Edited by thunderball

9 hours ago, abdomlahor said:

i think one of the main reasons for his recent success is because we're playing much narrower under gerrard, meaning his passes don't have to travel as far. he really suits this system.

This is true. You can see it in his play. He wins it back and gives it short and simple 9 times out of 10. 

He's having a really good run of games at the moment and he's done really well for us. I'm still of the opinion we need a better ball player than Marvelous at the base of the midfield but you can't argue he hasn't been fantastic of late. A really likeable player as well. 

On 24/07/2021 at 09:18, wilko154 said:

Very interesting that clubs are looking at Nakamba; it’s actually a tough decision on whether to let him go or not.

He’s one player who hasn’t really improved in the two years at the club, however in the last few games he’s started to show that there is a good player in there.

The decision now is, do we keep him and give him a third season to prove himself at DM? Or do we sell him for more than the £10 million fee we paid for him and use the money to upgrade.

Personally I think any bid of £10-12 million should be rejected. But anything above should be considered, as long as we have the intention of adding to that from the transfer pot and buying an upgrade at DM.

There is a reason that we bought some of these players in 2019 for low fees; and some of those players will need to be sold for profit at some point to continue our new business model.

Saying all of that, I’m not against Nakamba staying and starting games this season. He has been superb in some games, but he needs to become consistently good in games to hold onto his first team place.

Clicked on this thread for the first time in months, and this is the first comment I saw.

His potential has been threatening to come out for a while now. I'm glad he's thriving. One of the most likable players there is.

• Like 1

His touch is way better than it was. He is taking the touch and attracting players in before releasing it. It's as if he believes more in his own footballing abilities now.

It's good also to see his personality coming out. He is majorly celebrating goals, and leading the post match celebration at the holte end. Great to see.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, turvontour said:

His touch is way better than it was. He is taking the touch and attracting players in before releasing it. It's as if he believes more in his own footballing abilities now.

It's good also to see his personality coming out. He is majorly celebrating goals, and leading the post match celebration at the holte end. Great to see.

Definitely. One thing that struck me at the start of the season, at the Barrow league cup game was that he has the game - all the stuff about "he can't pass" and "poor touch" was (to me) clearly wrong because he showed it in spades there that he can pass and control and so on. I think the case was shown to be that he had the ability and all the rest, but that maybe in the Prem, compared to against lower level oppo, he didn't "believe" as much in his own ability to be at that level and that's all that was affecting his output. My imagination has it that Gerrard has boosted his confidence, either as a conscious effort, or just by dint of his (SG's) status and renown as a player and a few chats or positive comments to Marv. in training or wherever.

Anyway, long may he carry on doing well, as he seems such a good human.

• Like 1

Have always liked him and felt he has been harshly judged by a few but he is playing very well at the moment and warrants his place in the side for sure.

It must be such a confidence boost for him to be selected by an ex-midfielder as good as Gerrard in these first few games of his tenure and you can see that with his last few performances.

Though to be fair he had several isolated games under Smith where he performed decent so I do think there has always been a good player in there.

Definitely one I would be keeping in the squad that's for certain.

Is doing very well. Makes it tough to decide exactly how to upgrade midfield in Jan though. Marv and McGinn doing well. Dougie has improved playing further forward and JJ, AJ, Iroegbunam and Carney knocking on the door. Not to mention Sanson. Whose opportunity / rejuvenation do you take away from them for a new signing? 

I'd still anticipate DM to come in. We'll lose Marv to AFCON and unless we think Iroegbunam can cover it we'll likely either have to play Dougie there or sign someone.

We play Man U, Everton and Leeds over that period. Not sure those are quite the games for Iroegbunam to play 90 mins. Suppose Dougie could do it and cameos for Iroegbunam? I think we'll sign someone for Marvs role

34 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Have always liked him and felt he has been harshly judged by a few but he is playing very well at the moment and warrants his place in the side for sure.

It must be such a confidence boost for him to be selected by an ex-midfielder as good as Gerrard in these first few games of his tenure and you can see that with his last few performances.

Though to be fair he had several isolated games under Smith where he performed decent so I do think there has always been a good player in there.

Definitely one I would be keeping in the squad that's for certain.

Totally different player to the one under DS

• Like 1

21 hours ago, villalad21 said:

For what it's worth I thought he was good last season too whenever called upon.

6 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

Totally different player to the one under DS

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Agreed.

It's about showing consistency now.

So which is it ? 

Of course he's playing better, everyone can see that, but he still had good games under Smith just he was often left out regardless because Smith preferred other options (against 'weaker' opponents). 

Don't think he's suddenly become the next Kante but nor was he a Salifou. The truth is he's a capable midfielder that can do a decent job for us when required.

Said in another thread, but the analysis of untied game where Fred’s having a revival they mentioned that players like him thrive when their team mates are closer to them.

Nakamba is the same, we’re playing much narrower and it means he can make the tackles then release more quickly and to a team mate 5-10 yards away, not 10-20 yards away. 

He used to have his pocket picked all the time when he dawdled too long. 

Any player with improve with more game time, so we’re setting that, but also that he has a pass on closer.

Hopefully he keeps earning his place! Good to see.

Â