Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

9 hours ago, TRO said:

I ask this question guardedly.....is the passing thing a myth?

He is no glen Hoddle or sid cowans.....but is his passing really that bad?

It does seem better to me...particularly over short distances.

I think he's slightly below the standard you'd expect from a central midfielder in a team fancying itself to challenge for European spots in the best league in the world. 

However I'm also a big believer that a good system can make an average passer look brilliant and a bad system can make a very good passer look average. How the players buy into that matters as well. I think Marv looks much more confident on his role and what his teammates will be doing around him and that's made his passing look much better under Gerrard. 

• Like 1

It's not as much the passing as it is the poor first touch which in turn  sometimes leads to him having less time with the ball.

His second touch is a sliding tackle is a bit OTT :D but I think he will be helped with players showing more for the ball and by having a close outlet in Luiz. 

36 minutes ago, Zero7 said:

We need competition for him but don't need to splash £50m on a DCM now 

Agreed, he's shown more than enough to have the managers faith moving forwards, but we also need another option there, especially if Luiz continues to be used as one of the more advanced in the 3 man midfield (where he's also looked better)

Edited by RichiBoi11
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zero7 said:

We need competition for him but don't need to splash £50m on a DCM now 

It gives us time to find the right target. With the direction we've been heading in, we'll more than likely be looking at a player in the 25m+ bracket again but I do wonder what our plans are for players like Bogarde and Iroegbunam. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lexicon said:

It gives us time to find the right target. With the direction we've been heading in, we'll more than likely be looking at a player in the 25m+ bracket again but I do wonder what our plans are for players like Bogarde and Iroegbunam. 

I feel like Bogarde will be loaned next year. He's seemingly moving around positions in the U23s between CB and DM and with Feeney coming through it'll be a good time to let Bogarde go on loan and play men's football.

I'd imagine he'd get a better shot as a starter at his age in midfield rather than defence so wouldn't be surprised to see him go to League 2 as a squad player and end up starting in midfield. 

Iroegbunam I agree on. He'll be wanting first team minutes, he was on the verge of it at WBA and has now been in a squad here.

He'll be wanting cup games next year imo. Which seems realistic. But it also does for Carney, Aaron Ramsey, JPB, Kesler and Archer! 

Certainly interesting how we address the position in January. We lose Nakamba for the 3 games in Jan. Maybe Iroegbunam gets a chance then. But if we sign nobody and Nakamba ends up with an injury we could well regret it

16 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I feel like Bogarde will be loaned next year. He's seemingly moving around positions in the U23s between CB and DM and with Feeney coming through it'll be a good time to let Bogarde go on loan and play men's football.

I'd imagine he'd get a better shot as a starter at his age in midfield rather than defence so wouldn't be surprised to see him go to League 2 as a squad player and end up starting in midfield. 

Iroegbunam I agree on. He'll be wanting first team minutes, he was on the verge of it at WBA and has now been in a squad here.

He'll be wanting cup games next year imo. Which seems realistic. But it also does for Carney, Aaron Ramsey, JPB, Kesler and Archer! 

Certainly interesting how we address the position in January. We lose Nakamba for the 3 games in Jan. Maybe Iroegbunam gets a chance then. But if we sign nobody and Nakamba ends up with an injury we could well regret it

Bogarde was put into CB for, I think, two reasons - one to bring on the defensive side to his game, and two because we were a bit short of numbers there as it is (mostly due to injuries etc.). As a CB, he's not bad but doesn't really stick out at that level - but when he's on the ball or when he plays in midfield, you really start to see something there - he's technical, good on the ball, can pass etc. I'd be surprised if he ends up as a CB based on what I've seen of him. I agree that a loan would be good for him but I think the academy wouldn't want that as we're short-staffed for defensive players as it is! Feeney's the big prospect though, he looks incredible for his age. 

Â