Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

57 minutes ago, spiezels said:

Said in another thread, but the analysis of untied game where Fred’s having a revival they mentioned that players like him thrive when their team mates are closer to them.

Nakamba is the same, we’re playing much narrower and it means he can make the tackles then release more quickly and to a team mate 5-10 yards away, not 10-20 yards away. 

He used to have his pocket picked all the time when he dawdled too long. 

Any player with improve with more game time, so we’re setting that, but also that he has a pass on closer.

Hopefully he keeps earning his place! Good to see.

The 2 numbers 10s being also available for a pass rather than 2 wingers makes him far far better. It gives him so many more options and stops the opposition blocking all the passing lines 

• Like 1

Villaview was talking about how he seems to have responded to the fan love he has been receiving. Hopefully our love has helped. Either way he has dramatically improved the past few games. Its great to see. I feel he has staked a strong claim as a starter for us. That can only be a good thing.

• Like 2

Our possession stats have been low under Gerrard and that suits Nakamba. It was the same under Smith when we didn’t have the ball much. He will be very important for us against Liverpool but after that it will be interesting to see how he does against Burnley and Norwich if he starts. 

Have been really impressed with him though. Doing his job very well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

So which is it ? 

Of course he's playing better, everyone can see that, but he still had good games under Smith just he was often left out regardless because Smith preferred other options (against 'weaker' opponents). 

Don't think he's suddenly become the next Kante but nor was he a Salifou. The truth is he's a capable midfielder that can do a decent job for us when required.

He played superb last season against Arsenal and Leeds and fans were banging on about how he must start against Sheffield United. He did and he looked completely redundant against a team that put 11 players behind the ball. After that he lost his place. 

Im hoping he has massively improved under Gerrard due to the new shape and also more confidence so can also perform in games where we need to break teams down.

• Like 2

I think he's benefitting from both playing one of the most important roles within the system Gerrard likes to play and having his role simplified to those things he's actually always been very good at. The problems he had under Smith were mainly when he was asked to play more like Luiz plays. Now he's asked to play his own game and is looking good for it.

Obviously, long term, we need to try and find a player that combines the strengths of both Marv and Luiz but for me he is one of the first on the team sheet.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Smith like most managers had his favorites.

New manager. Fresh start for everyone.

I am so happy for Nakamba. Such a likable fella.

Imagine getting sacked from a job for a run of poor performances and wondering how you could have improved them…

Then seeing someone else come in and (with the staff you never gave the chance to shine) hit the ground running and start performing convincingly…

You’d hope it gives Smith food for thought in his future endeavours…

Edited by DJ_Villain
Needed a better analogy

The technical side of his game has come on a ton - he's always been able to read the game well defensively. The thing he really needs to work on is his tackling, though, as in each game he'll come in for challenges that he's anticipated with time to spare and not won the ball because he's not put enough into the tackle itself and the opposition player has emerged with the ball. The latest being against Harvey Barnes and Cash was equally guilty as one of them should've got it off him. He's not a particularly aggressive player, which has its pluses and minuses - he's not a particularly rash player and doesn't get the stupid red mist - but the downside is the lack of force when he's putting a boot on the ball. 

I feel like we've always been more difficult to break down when he's in the team. His passing isn't elite, but he just needs to play within himself and grow into the system. The extra confidence he seems to have under Gerrard is really exciting. When Gerrard talked about not all players having bought in yet, he certainly wasn't talking about Marv. 

And it absolutely rocks that he's playing well because he seems like one of the loveliest blokes you could ever meet.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Our possession stats have been low under Gerrard and that suits Nakamba. It was the same under Smith when we didn’t have the ball much. He will be very important for us against Liverpool but after that it will be interesting to see how he does against Burnley and Norwich if he starts. 

Have been really impressed with him though. Doing his job very well.

I think the possession will be worked on, but right now, his priority was limiting the goals against, until we move up the league and priorities will morph.

3 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I feel like we've always been more difficult to break down when he's in the team. His passing isn't elite, but he just needs to play within himself and grow into the system. The extra confidence he seems to have under Gerrard is really exciting. When Gerrard talked about not all players having bought in yet, he certainly wasn't talking about Marv. 

And it absolutely rocks that he's playing well because he seems like one of the loveliest blokes you could ever meet.

I ask this question guardedly.....is the passing thing a myth?

He is no glen Hoddle or sid cowans.....but is his passing really that bad?

It does seem better to me...particularly over short distances.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I ask this question guardedly.....is the passing thing a myth?

He is no glen Hoddle or sid cowans.....but is his passing really that bad?

It does seem better to me...particularly over short distances.

His passing definitely isn't elite, no. Glad to have cleared this up. 

41 minutes ago, lexicon said:

His passing definitely isn't elite, no. Glad to have cleared this up. 

I already alluded to that.

but is it that bad?...so there is a little bit to clear up.😀

18 minutes ago, TRO said:

I already alluded to that.

but is it that bad?...so there is a little bit to clear up.😀

The post you quoted didn't imply that his passing was bad tbf and it's not, really, certainly getting better as he seems to be a lot more comfortable playing in the league. Everything was a bit fast for him at first but I think he's adapting. His issues with passing before were more mental than technical, as he was panicked.

Moving forward, we've got to see what else he's capable of improving - as I mentioned before, he needs to be a bit stronger in the tackle for my liking as I think it's the area of his game that's lacking. 

These sort of issues are good to have, though, as I imagine if we were to sell in January we'd get a lot more than we would've done in the summer.

I think the most sensible thing to do is line up targets and do our scouting homework, while we give him the time to develop further. Either way we'll be prepared.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, lexicon said:

The post you quoted didn't imply that his passing was bad tbf and it's not, really, certainly getting better as he seems to be a lot more comfortable playing in the league. Everything was a bit fast for him at first but I think he's adapting. His issues with passing before were more mental than technical, as he was panicked.

Moving forward, we've got to see what else he's capable of improving - as I mentioned before, he needs to be a bit stronger in the tackle for my liking as I think it's the area of his game that's lacking. 

These sort of issues are good to have, though, as I imagine if we were to sell in January we'd get a lot more than we would've done in the summer.

I think the most sensible thing to do is line up targets and do our scouting homework, while we give him the time to develop further. Either way we'll be prepared.

like it.

• Like 1

Â