Marvelous Nakamba

NurembergVillan

48 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Most of the players who are performing well for us under Gerrard already looked good, but Marv's transformation is really interesting. Partly it's tactics, but he's also just playing a lot better... maybe he's one of those who needs a really intense training regime to get the best out of him? Or maybe he's just brimming with confidence now he's starting every week?

I have to admit I thought he just wasn't good enough, but even his passing game is much sharper now, and he looks much more confident when he receives the ball. It's a mystery.

I think he's always been a decent player, just a bit timid and nervy. Gerrard seems to have switched up his mentality for now.

44 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I really think his perceived struggles were to do with a lack of playing-time. He was mostly good when he got an extended run-in. 

There were games last season against big dogs were he was excellent then he'd be straight out the team unfairly. I remember saying it several times last season.

Smith had his favourites. Simple as that. Rather inflexible in that regard.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

There were games last season against big dogs were he was excellent then he'd be straight out the team unfairly. I remember saying it several times last season.

Most managers have their favorites to be fair. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I don't think it was about favourite so much as mentality, Smith wanted to go and win every game so didn't want a player like Nakamba in his side. It was idealistic and more than a little naive because you need to have a solid base but he just wouldn't do it.

26 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Nakamba has been excellent the last few games, I'll probably take pelters for saying it but he is still one of the players we need to try and improve upon though.

Why ? We haven’t got past Christmas and in the last 3 games he has been outstanding, what if he carries on like this, why replace him ? Who knows how good he might be. ? But yes get rid of him, if we had kept Gueye we wouldn’t even have needed him. But we didn’t because he was sh*t apparently. Let’s spend a fortune on the next ‘big name’

6 minutes ago, smg said:

Why ? We haven’t got past Christmas and in the last 3 games he has been outstanding, what if he carries on like this, why replace him ? Who knows how good he might be. ? But yes get rid of him, if we had kept Gueye we wouldn’t even have needed him. But we didn’t because he was sh*t apparently. Let’s spend a fortune on the next ‘big name’

Because he is a limited player and because we need a player in that role with a better all around game in my opinion. I didn't say get rid of him, but I think we need to try and improve on him. 

As for Gueye he went because he wanted to go, as for 'next big name' I struggle to get the relevance of this comment to what I posted.

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Even when he’s not been great, I find myself kinda positive towards him. I guess he has a likeable demeanour.

Whatever his future with us will be, at £11m he’s been a rather good signing.

Wow I had forgotten about that. What a bargain. he has improved over time as well. A very trustworthy player. Nice attribute to have.

• Like 1

Really happy Marv is coming good, won’t lie I was in the camp that didn’t see it happening but you can’t argue with his performances since the arrival of Gerrard. One of the first names on the team sheet at this point and a seemingly very positive guy to have around the first team. I agree unless there are parts of his game we still haven’t seen we will eventually have to invest in the position to take the next step but Marv at the moment is definitely not a problem.

1 hour ago, smg said:

Not in 3 weeks , the ability was always there, he wasn’t  selected and when he was , he wasn’t appreciated by the fan base. He has been given confidence that is the difference 

I don’t see why you think the confidence hasn’t been instilled by coaching from SG and his new team. Where has it come from then?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Nakamba has been excellent the last few games, I'll probably take pelters for saying it but he is still one of the players we need to try and improve upon though.

I'd agree. He has indeed been a key part to our recent victories. He's made some truly vital interceptions and tackles. He's also got away with a couple of mistakes. 

But, he clearly lacks composure on the ball. I'm not sure it's something he can "learn", and sure it's a position that could be improved. I do think to upgrade him we're going to have to spend a lot of money though. Someone that does what he does defensively, and has an eye for a pass or the ability to shoot, is a rare and expensive commodity.

• Like 2

Just now, briny_ear said:

I don’t see why you think the confidence hasn’t been instilled by coaching from SG and his new team. Where has it come from then?

A new manager gives him a new start. He got dropped after very good performamces previously... keeping his place probably goes a long way to giving him confidence given the history. 

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I'd agree. He has indeed been a key part to our recent victories. He's made some truly vital interceptions and tackles. He's also got away with a couple of mistakes. 

But, he clearly lacks composure on the ball. I'm not sure it's something he can "learn", and sure it's a position that could be improved. I do think to upgrade him we're going to have to spend a lot of money though. Someone that does what he does defensively, and has an eye for a pass or the ability to shoot, is a rare and expensive commodity.

I agree but that is what we need to continue to improve.

38 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Because he is a limited player and because we need a player in that role with a better all around game in my opinion. I didn't say get rid of him, but I think we need to try and improve on him. 

As for Gueye he went because he wanted to go, as for 'next big name' I struggle to get the relevance of this comment to what I posted.

Is he limited though? Given the last three games who knows what he might achieve given time. We aren’t that good at giving players time though and are increasingly willing to splash out millions on ‘names’ like Bailey who don’t seem to be able to cope physically 

Noticed his passing more than his defensive work against Leicester. Far more forward passes than I remember from him, and all his passes were crisp! Firm to feet every time.

He's growing in confidence with consistent game time and producing excellent performances. Go figure.

Next: Sanson.

I don't think anyones position in the squad should be stable other than Martinez tbh. Extreme obviously and there are probably 3 players I wouldn't remove as I think they will grow but I think several positions could be improved, including Marvs. He's been great but I think there is better out there. However, his improvement has been superb, not just his workrate, interceptions etc....actually he's getting his head up and looking for forward passes. That's what delights me about him at the moment.

• Like 1

Â